The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

On McDavid's Class...

Nuxfanabroad

He's up there with Horvat, as 2 of my favourite young players in the game. Today Babcock comparing his high-octane, league-assault to early Orr. Probably the highest compliment you can give a kid in this game.

Gotta say, I've always detested the Oil ! Can't forgive'em for the 80's :^) But now this kid is something, & I really like how he carries himself. The game gets another young star, but I'd say off-ice, it appears he exudes class & modesty as Orr did..whatta' breath of fresh air in this particular day & age!

Just read a sportsnet article how he visited a young 10 yr old girl, who only has wks to live(terminal brain cancer). Got choked up, & I can't understand why young people(& their families) must endure such pain, whilst the majority of us are never dealt such cards. That said, proud to be a big fan of this game, when I see the character & moral resiliency class stars like McD share with these young fans.

This game has produced a lot of these young people, that we ought to be proud of. My hat's off, Mr McDavid..We're GONNA beat you & win some Cups!(but I hope you do, as well)

10 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

Yeah, McDavid is a professional in every sense of the word.

Seems like a great kid and is already arguably one of the best players in the league.

Incredibly jealous of the Oilers for having him fall into their laps.

All this....plus he doesn't seem to whine on the ice nearly as much as Crosby.

12 minutes ago, cookieeater55 said:

Imagine the playoff matchups in the future wen we finish rebuilding!!!

Hopefully we get a number 1 center or another number 1 defensemen in this years draft

By the the time we're finished rebuilding the Oiler's will be entering their next, lmao.

52 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

Seems like a great kid and is already arguably one of the best players in the league.

Yup well said.

On a side note, I don't see why pro athletes get so much praise when they do nice things like visit someone who is passing away... they have the star power to make a difference in peoples lives and they should do it all the time. They make more than enough money to boot and have plenty of free hours. 

I love how the Canucks run Canucks Place, but I am curious to see how many actual hours each player puts in. I'd assume Burr and the Sedins would be tops.

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

He's up there with Horvat, as 2 of my favourite young players in the game. Today Babcock comparing his high-octane, league-assault to early Orr. Probably the highest compliment you can give a kid in this game.

Gotta say, I've always detested the Oil ! Can't forgive'em for the 80's :^) But now this kid is something, & I really like how he carries himself. The game gets another young star, but I'd say off-ice, it appears he exudes class & modesty as Orr did..whatta' breath of fresh air in this particular day & age!

Just read a sportsnet article how he visited a young 10 yr old girl, who only has wks to live(terminal brain cancer). Got choked up, & I can't understand why young people(& their families) must endure such pain, whilst the majority of us are never dealt such cards. That said, proud to be a big fan of this game, when I see the character & moral resiliency class stars like McD share with these young fans.

This game has produced a lot of these young people, that we ought to be proud of. My hat's off, Mr McDavid..We're GONNA beat you & win some Cups!(but I hope you do, as well)

Absolutely agree with everything in your post. He just seems like a young man that was raised the right way and has embraced his notoriety as a hockey player to give back to the community and those less fortunate in life.

On the ice, I was a season ticket holder in Edmonton when Gretzky was there and I am convinced that McDavid, if he stays healthy, will be a better hockey player than Gretzky. The NHL has never seen a player with his skills, at such a top speed, where his head and hands can keep up with that incredible speed.

I despise the Oilers but wish nothing but the best for this kid.

1 hour ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Honestly, I somewhat hate Crosby.... I just remember watching the Philadelphia-PIttsburgh series in the first round a few years back... All Crosby would do was instigate the Flyers and hide behind his team... His teammates were taking tons of penalties protecting him, while he was acting like a rat (no other word for it). He's since improved but he single-handedly lost PIttsburgh that series that year, at least I'd like to think so... I've just never been a fan of his since... I don't get the impression that he is a good person nor that he plays the game the right way, I do agree with anyone that says he is extremely talented though...

4 hours ago, apollo said:

Yup well said.

On a side note, I don't see why pro athletes get so much praise when they do nice things like visit someone who is passing away... they have the star power to make a difference in peoples lives and they should do it all the time. They make more than enough money to boot and have plenty of free hours. 

I love how the Canucks run Canucks Place, but I am curious to see how many actual hours each player puts in. I'd assume Burr and the Sedins would be tops.

Have to remember, while they arent playing they are often practicing/training as much as the rest of us work normally. They also have families. 

Theyre busy too! 

Canucks have some great players who have given a lot. 

4 hours ago, apollo said:

Yup well said.

Apollo you or I could easily go visit someone with a terminal disease, but unless they are lonely (ie no family or friend support) our visit won't carry remotely close to the same weight as a player like McDavid. Especially to someone who is a fan of the team.

The money they make is an entirely different ethical conversation that extends well beyond star athletes. It's easy for us to say "hey you have all kinds of free time and are a millionaire, why aren't you changing the world any faster?". Well, if you've picked up your hockey gear yet and hit the ice (referencing your desire to play hockey thread) then you're probably even more aware now that ice hockey is a very specialized craft that requires dedication combined with natural skill to see improvements. The ratio of people who make the NHL compared to the total number of people who grew up playing hockey is not a generous number. And like @beni said, they have lives to live, and the responsibility to maintain their skills as to remain effective in the league. It is absolutely a full time job that is not only a physical strain, but a mental one.

These athletes receive praise because there is no law requiring them to be good people, they're mostly just good people trying to give something back to the community that embraced them. I agree that it doesn't make them godly, but it does make them incredibly unselfish. I have no problem offering praise under those circumstances. 

14 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

That's exactly my reason for liking him. He's the next face of the NHL, but he's not nearly as whiny / entitled as Crosby seemed to be in his early years. Crosby's prima dona attitude and whining (and analysts all constantly plugging him) pretty much ensured I was never a fan of his, despite him being much more professional in his older years. I don't hate Crosby or anything, but he was never my cup of tea.

Plus of course, McDavid has insane skills. At 19 he's leading the league in points ahead of elite offensive players in their prime, I think he'll be even better than Crosby was once he hits his mid-late 20s. Again, he's 19 and this good already, it's scary to think what he'll do when he becomes a man and grows into his frame.

On 29/11/2016 at 2:25 PM, Jägermeister said:

Not really arguable at this point. He is one of the best in the league if not the best.

It is seriously unfair that the Oilers and Penguins have had 2 generational talents each (Gretzky and McDavid, Mario and Crosby -- considering where Jagr is in the all-time standings, you could probably say the Pens have had 3 of them). 

On December 1, 2016 at 4:00 PM, HKSR said:

It is seriously unfair that the Oilers and Penguins have had 2 generational talents each (Gretzky and McDavid, Mario and Crosby -- considering where Jagr is in the all-time standings, you could probably say the Pens have had 3 of them). 

bettman gave them crosby to save them so they did not have to move to canada

Archived