The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So impressed with Bo Horvat

Matt_T83

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

No Monahan had a much more impressive resume and consistency.  Scheifele and Barkov are closer comparables but they had even better numbers. 

If Bo wants over 6 he will have to take a bridge contract in the 4 range and continue to play good to build up a bigger case to justify that type of deal. 

I think Bo will be worth more than 6 eventually.  But right now he doesn't have a big enough history to reach that.

Well said.

Bo is also streaky thus far.

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Extremely unlikely to get Bo signed for under 6 million per season?

I disagree.

Richard Rakell scored more goals & points than Bo his rookie and sophomore seasons.  Was signed this year with just under a $3.9 mill cap.  But he is two years older, so is Bo deserving of more because it suggests making it earlier is a sign of more potential? Viktor Rask is Bo's age. And also scored more his first two years and was just signed.  $4 mill.  He is almost undeniably Carolina's top pivot at this moment?

These are Bo's two closest comparable contracts signed recently.

I'm not saying Couturier isn't a better comparable. But even he is signed well under $5 mill.

There is zero reason to panic and put up contract money at $6 mill. None.

edit: noting correction > Had Rask twice, meant Richard Rakell, 2 years older & Rask.

48 minutes ago, stawns said:

that's over $5.6m a year for 8 years, hardly chump change.  That said, you are probably referring more to the term, which I don't disagree with

Yeah I was referring to the term. That $ amount would fit well with a 4/5 year deal.

6 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

The goaltending situation ruined Gillis' reputation. Aside from that and some questionable drafts in the beginning  (albeit we were winning then) he was probably our best gm, or at least 2nd behind Quinn, of all time. Game 7 Stanley Cup final, two presidents trophies, gm of the year in 2011. Plus numerous players and coaches had great seasons under him, Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Vigneault etc.

Now we see a lot of the players he left us flourishing. Definitely not perfect and had his blunders, but far from "not very good".

Let's not forget that it was Burke's and Noni's that created a lot of the core on that team. Gillis was an average GM who flinched and decided one series against Boston meant he had to dismantle things....and he totally screwed up the team he mostly inherited.  Quin was our best GM followed by Burke.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Let's not forget that it was Burke's and Noni's that created a lot of the core on that team. Gillis was an average GM who flinched and decided one series against Boston meant he had to dismantle things....and he totally screwed up the team he mostly inherited.  Quin was our best GM followed by Burke.

Gillis was a great GM who takes a lot of undue flack from a fickle fanbase.  

10 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Being a fan since before the first cup run.  Gillis screwed up a great team...chased two top ten or even top five goalies out and a five time Selke finalist...how is that fickle?  The only praise he deserves is signing guys...but I bet half the fans wish he didn't hand out NTC like they were candy.  He brought in some decent auxiliary players but wasn't responsible for most of the core...it was already there when he took over.  AV deserves the props way more than Gillis...and now he is the front runner for coach of the year...also if he was so great how come Vegas or anyone hasn't hired him... probably will never work again what he did after the cup run and presidents trophies (thanks to Burke and the twins peaking and Luongo and Kelser and Burrows and Elder and Bieksa...see a trend yet) was just awful management.  That team kept together including the coach was terrific.  Benning has his work cut out for him

Just now, IBatch said:

Being a fan since before the first cup run.  Gillis screwed up a great team...chased two top ten or even top five goalies out and a five time Selke finalist...how is that fickle?  The only praise he deserves is signing guys...but I bet half the fans wish he didn't hand out NTC like they were candy.  He brought in some decent auxiliary players but wasn't responsible for most of the core...it was already there when he took over.  AV deserves the props way more than Gillis...and now he is the front runner for coach of the year...

I think Lou is the greatest goalie the Canucks have ever had and I wish we would have held onto him  but he needed to suck it up a bit in regards to Gillis. 

Ultimately I would argue Torts chased him out of town and I'm not convinced Torts was a Gillis hiring. 

Schneider wasn't chased out of town he was traded. 

Kesler was a great player for us but was and is a big baby. 

Every gm includes ntc's in certain contracts, Give me proof Gillis gave out more than average? 

He did a great job supplementing the core he inherited. 

We're agreed that AV was a great coach. 

6 hours ago, Creepy Crawler said:

Remember Lu signed to something similar and a few years later admitted that it's a crappy contract agreement?

I think he meant it was a crappy contract to trade, given his numbers at the time were slipping from elite status.

I'm sure he was very happy collecting all that cash for his poker habit though.

49 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Gillis left us with a completely bare prospect cupboard because he either traded any young potential play for vets or drafted terribly. Yes, he did good things as well. He build a cup team and got us Horvat, but overall he left the organization in worse shape then when he got there. 

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Its a shame ownership didn't let him rebuild when he wanted too, imagine having Mitch Marner on this team right now alongside Bo Horvat. 

Honestly, Gillis should have done this retool on the fly the Sedins were younger and still "Prime" sedins, kesler was still kesler and we were one game away from being stanley cup champions. You don't tear it ALL down after being that close. Minor adjustments, maybe schiender for a Top 2 Offensive D

37 minutes ago, billabong said:

Horvat is my fav Canuck hands down.

He is a poor mans johnathan toews

5x5m and call it a day

if I was Bo, it is comments like this that would make me want to leave vanCity...The fans are fuct in the head...Bo isn't a poor man's Toewes, he's Bo Horvat.

2 hours ago, shayster007 said:

Gillis left us with a completely bare prospect cupboard because he either traded any young potential play for vets or drafted terribly. Yes, he did good things as well. He build a cup team and got us Horvat, but overall he left the organization in worse shape then when he got there. 

Completely bare is a bit of an overstatement.  By no means was our prospect pool deep but there were a few pieces there. 

It seems pretty apparent to me that he was aware of what the team needed and was fired for starting to address it.  

1 hour ago, J-Dizzle said:

Completely bare is a bit of an overstatement.  By no means was our prospect pool deep but there were a few pieces there. 

It seems pretty apparent to me that he was aware of what the team needed and was fired for starting to address it.  

I would have placed the canucks prospect pool bottom 5 in the league the day Gillis was fired. Do you disagree?

Archived