The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So impressed with Bo Horvat

Matt_T83

8 hours ago, Kokanee king said:

agreed. just wishful thinking on my end. he will get 7+ mill a year for long term or a 5 mil (cap hit) 2/year bridge deal 

I honestly think we could sign him to a more reasonable 6.5M/year contract long term. This is similar to the Monahan and Gaudreau deals in Calgary, which would definitely be pointed to as the best comparisons. Calgary did us a huge favor by negotiating hard with Gaudreau.

17 minutes ago, Matt_T83 said:

I honestly think we could sign him to a more reasonable 6.5M/year contract long term. This is similar to the Monahan and Gaudreau deals in Calgary, which would definitely be pointed to as the best comparisons. Calgary did us a huge favor by negotiating hard with Gaudreau.

i like your thinking. im just worry with GMMG. 

7 hours ago, billabong said:

Horvat is my fav Canuck hands down.

He is a poor mans johnathan toews

5x5m and call it a day

It sounds fair?

But why make Horvat a UFA at 27?

Need 6, even 7 or 8 years if going long term.  I'd rather bridge, even if it means over paying in 2 years to lock him up till 30 or 31 years old.

I agree with the observation that he's a poor man's Toews. Maybe not first line material but captain-worthy. 

I just hope that Benning doesn't get carried away with the intangibles and overpay for him. In the high four million range, $5 million tops is what I would say is fair. Doesn't seem like a guy who will push for an overpayment anyways. 

1 hour ago, guntrix said:

I agree with the observation that he's a poor man's Toews. Maybe not first line material but captain-worthy. 

I just hope that Benning doesn't get carried away with the intangibles and overpay for him. In the high four million range, $5 million tops is what I would say is fair. Doesn't seem like a guy who will push for an overpayment anyways. 

His agent might. Agents do get a percentage of the pay and they need to eat too, I am guessing whoever is representing Horvat might want to push Horvat to ask for more.

It does seem that his trajectory is coser to Ryan O'Reilly than that of Patrice Bergeron or Jonathan Towes and O'Reilly is currently in an 8 year $7.5 Million contract. Just to put things into perspective.

22 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

The goaltending situation ruined Gillis' reputation. Aside from that and some questionable drafts in the beginning  (albeit we were winning then) he was probably our best gm, or at least 2nd behind Quinn, of all time. Game 7 Stanley Cup final, two presidents trophies, gm of the year in 2011. Plus numerous players and coaches had great seasons under him, Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Vigneault etc.

Now we see a lot of the players he left us flourishing. Definitely not perfect and had his blunders, but far from "not very good".

A lot???? Do you mean Horvat? :lol:

He had all of three good moves. Signing Hamhuis, signing Samuelson, and trading for Ehrhoff. Most everything else was a fail. The one debatable move is trading the wrong goalie, causing another year of unhappy Lou controversy. But it did get us Horvat.

12 hours ago, shayster007 said:

I would have placed the canucks prospect pool bottom 5 in the league the day Gillis was fired. Do you disagree?

I think the comment you quoted shows I agree. There wasn't a ton there but there were a few pieces. 

The stint with the Chicago Wolves seems to coincide with prospects bombing for us. 

18 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

I think Lou is the greatest goalie the Canucks have ever had and I wish we would have held onto him  but he needed to suck it up a bit in regards to Gillis. 

Ultimately I would argue Torts chased him out of town and I'm not convinced Torts was a Gillis hiring. 

Schneider wasn't chased out of town he was traded. 

Kesler was a great player for us but was and is a big baby. 

Every gm includes ntc's in certain contracts, Give me proof Gillis gave out more than average? 

He did a great job supplementing the core he inherited. 

We're agreed that AV was a great coach.             * Reply*.                                        

17 hours ago, NEON.KNEE said:

why would Bo throw away his prime years playing in van for peanuts?

There's also just as good a chance that he's going to top out as a Kesler, or even less, in which case it turns out to be a good deal for him.

44 minutes ago, stawns said:

There's also just as good a chance that he's going to top out as a Kesler, or even less, in which case it turns out to be a good deal for him.

I think it's less likely that he turns out equal to or less than Kesler. Outside of Ryan's two remakable ~70 point seasons, he is a career ~50 point guy. And he didn't reach 50 in a season until 6 years after he was drafted. I think it's very likely Bo exceeds 50 this year (draft +3), and his defensive game and faceoff prowess is at least equal to a young Kesler.

I'll concede that he doesn't have that "gets under the opposistion's skin" factor in the same way Kes does though.

Overall, I'd give him 35/65 odds of being less than or equal to/ greater than or equal to.

Bo deserves a lucrative deal in my opinion. Maybe for starters they start off with a 5 year 30 million offer but JB wants 5 AAV. I don't think Bo is concerned about his contract is. He's just playing his game and not letting his contract status at the end of the year bother him. At this point, I think he would sign for any contract JB offers him. He's a pretty loyal player here and I think he wants to spend his career here. So locking him up long term isn't such a bad idea.

1 hour ago, Beary Sweet said:

Bo deserves a lucrative deal in my opinion. Maybe for starters they start off with a 5 year 30 million offer but JB wants 5 AAV. I don't think Bo is concerned about his contract is. He's just playing his game and not letting his contract status at the end of the year bother him. At this point, I think he would sign for any contract JB offers him. He's a pretty loyal player here and I think he wants to spend his career here. So locking him up long term isn't such a bad idea.

Dont underestimate the power and influence of agents. I think Horvat will sign a reasonable deal but he sure isn't going to fall on his sword to take far less than his market or potential value.

On 11/30/2016 at 10:37 AM, Green Building said:

I recognize his potential too, but it has nothing to with 10pavel's claim that many from MG's tenure are performing highly right now. I wasn't trying to rip him though either, just wondered how he defined "a lot". That's all. If anything it's a rip on MG's biggest failing here - the inability to stock the cupboards, so to speak.

Actually it wasn't MG's failing at all, many think that but ownership only wants, at the very least a product to sell out seats NOW and willing to settle for short term gain and that meant, trying to do it all NOW and not care about down the road so i bet it was ownership who pushed MG to do it that way and a lot of that originated from fan base demanding a result without the the building process which we're doing now. So if you want to blame, start there! 

2 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Actually it wasn't MG's failing at all, many think that but ownership only wants, at the very least a product to sell out seats NOW and willing to settle for short term gain and that meant, trying to do it all NOW and not care about down the road so i bet it was ownership who pushed MG to do it that way and a lot of that originated from fan base demanding a result without the the building process which we're doing now. So if you want to blame, start there! 

I would like to also add that much consideration has to go towards the scouting staff too as I believe it has been the same crew who has been not picking the right guys for years and years. If we look back, I am sure there are situations where we were in a  position to pick very good picks at the draft and failed.

On December 1, 2016 at 0:54 AM, iinatcc said:

7 years at 5.75 million ?

Monahan has 7 years at 6.35 m and one would argue Monahan has more offensive upside and more likely to be a #1 center than Horvat. 

This seems reasonable to me. I see this being close to the deal that gets finalized. 

Archived