The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So impressed with Bo Horvat

Matt_T83

1 hour ago, hearditall said:

Yes.

What about today?

Right in the middle. Previous to JB I would have easily rated us bottom 5. We now sit with a stacked roster of D prospects in Olli,Try, Pedan, Brise, Stetch, Olsen, ect, leaving us with a bright future in the back end. From the top of my head Gillis got us Hutt and Sub. Our net has Demko and Gart, and our offense looks substantially more promising. 

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I would like to also add that much consideration has to go towards the scouting staff too as I believe it has been the same crew who has been not picking the right guys for years and years. If we look back, I am sure there are situations where we were in a  position to pick very good picks at the draft and failed.

It wouldn't have mattered much anyway, in the past the big money players went for US dollars in the past and canadian teams suffered, especially in the west. but someone said to me remember where the nhl money is managed from?  i was like yeah we'll be a upper team but not really a threat until we get to spend on players so i succumbed to that and watched on as i have for 40 years...  only recently did someone come in and make this team bigger tougher and faster. No we aren't there yet but better than we were with what MG and Benning have done AND stocked the farm better. so should we actually be complaining that the team just finally imploded without the right players over the years? Not at all...  I actually hope this was going to happen a long time ago as it would have sucked at the time but like now but this is better then getting into the false hope every year of at least getting into the playoffs then getting drafts that would have been better but oh well...

Now some guys are trading the difference of living in a world class,amazingly beautiful city to the us exchange rate, and after having the money to start signing names even with a cap, i kind of had the feeling the last 40 years had started to come to a close as MG and Benning stepped in. us not being a team who no one really wanted to play for, to players with families wanting to be here and get paid as well as on any other team for a change!

Honestly...  i think people should realize we have a lot of cap space soon too.

On 11/30/2016 at 8:01 AM, Matt_T83 said:

Mike Gillis is looking better and better these days, which is crazy considering he wasn't very good.

Agree with everything else you said OP...  

Mike Gillis was a GREAT GM for us.  Nonis/Burke did leave us with a very good foundation, but Gillis really patched it up and made us into the best team in the league for a span of a few years.  That shouldn't be forgotten or overlooked when judging Gillis.  

On 12/2/2016 at 8:28 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

Mike Gillis was a GREAT GM for us.  Nonis/Burke did leave us with a very good foundation, but Gillis really patched it up and made us into the best team in the league for a span of a few years.  That shouldn't be forgotten or overlooked when judging Gillis.  

I agree. You can almost pinpoint the moment that Mike Gillis fell apart though, which is right around the trade deadline when he dealt Connauton + 2nd for Derek Roy. That's hands down one of the worst trades in recent memory, both in acquiring a dud and giving up a legit 2nd pairing defenseman. After that trade deadline Gillis was never the same. I'm pretty sure the owners started pressuring him to make trades at the deadline and 'win now', but that's all speculation.

I was a huge fan of Gillis until that trade. From then on he was so-so, but acquiring Horvat was huge.

Although, as many people have pointed out: his drafting as a whole was really crappy. Take away Horvat and it's a pretty brutal record. 

1 hour ago, Matt_T83 said:

I agree. You can almost pinpoint the moment that Mike Gillis fell apart though, which is right around the trade deadline when he dealt Connauton + 2nd for Derek Roy. That's hands down one of the worst trades in recent memory, both in acquiring a dud and giving up a legit 2nd pairing defenseman. After that trade deadline Gillis was never the same. I'm pretty sure the owners started pressuring him to make trades at the deadline and 'win now', but that's all speculation.

I was a huge fan of Gillis until that trade. From then on he was so-so, but acquiring Horvat was huge.

Although, as many people have pointed out: his drafting as a whole was really crappy. Take away Horvat and it's a pretty brutal record. 

I don't disagree that that was a bad trade but 'legit 2nd pairing defenseman'? Kevin Connauton? Yikes! 26 years old, already on his 4th team, making $950K...He's a journeyman #6 and would be our 8th best defenseman if he was a Canuck. 

That trade sucked, but it had nothing to do with Kevin Connauton. 

9 hours ago, Matt_T83 said:

Huh? Legit top 4? Years later Connauton at 26 still isn't even a full NHL'er.legit top 4.

On ‎2016‎-‎12‎-‎02 at 5:28 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

Gillis had the good fortune of having a half dozen players peak at the right time. He is not responsible or an architect of that.

Career years were had by many when he came.

Archived