The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Glass Half-Full(bottom's Up! :^)

Nuxfanabroad

25 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

This team has come a long way in a very short period of time. It was not very long ago that we were icing an AHL calibre group of d-men and now we have a quality group that I believe is the youngest in the NHL. That is an amazing turnaround in such a short period and we still have players like Juolevi and Brisebois in the pipeline.

The goalie situation looks solid for many years to come.

Our forwards are mostly playing to their capabilities but, as most have mentioned, we still need some help there. Adding Boeser, Lockwood, Gaudette, Virtanen and whoever we draft this year should make the forward group much more formidable.

Don't want to get ahead of ourselves but the future is starting to look pretty good.

Basically Benning and Linden are doing pretty good work.

I think as Canucks fans, we should embrace the good stuff when it happens. This doesn't mean we're "planning a parade" or thinking because we won two in a row that we're now a playoff team. Just enjoy the wins when they happen and look forward to Boeser and Juolevi etc. joining the team in the near future. I'm excited to see where this team goes in the next few years.

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Save that for the next 10 game stint that doesn't go so well haha.

It's annoying. You can hardly judge it year by year let alone 10 games at a time. Look at the supposed emerging Colorado Avalanche, Calgary Flames, Nashville Predators, New York Islanders. All topped then bottomed again. 

I just thought of something today. Do you know who we remind me of? The Ottawa Senators. A similar style of rebuild. Similar circumstances and methods of player acquisition. The Sens have been at it basically since their Stanly cup Finals appearance against the ducks. I expect a similar path for us. 

4 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

It's annoying. You can hardly judge it year by year let alone 10 games at a time. Look at the supposed emerging Colorado Avalanche, Calgary Flames, Nashville Predators, New York Islanders. All topped then bottomed again. 

I just thought of something today. Do you know who we remind me of? The Ottawa Senators. A similar style of rebuild. Similar circumstances and methods of player acquisition. The Sens have been at it basically since their Stanly cup Finals appearance against the ducks. I expect a similar path for us. 

Maybe we even have our own future Karlsson :blush::lol:

9 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

One thing would be to stop having expectations of rookies to become more than they are rated to be. Hoping Juolevi becomes an Edler in his prime? Sure, that's his current maximum ceiling of fair expectation. Thinking he could become a true number one Like Lidstrom? Wishful, fanciful and nice if it happens but not to be counted upon.

Same goes for Virt (Prime Torres, not prime Bertuzzi) and Boeser who has a long way to go before we can attach names like Parise or even his NHL comparison Sharp yet. 

Then when Horvat exceeds expectations you never hear the end of it. Their extreme bias happens to pay off so now they are hockey genius'

I literally have no expectations for any player. I go by what I have seen. Who the hell am I to tell people what some 18 year old kid who I have never met in my life is going to do in the NHL. I saw a few highlight packages so I'm pretty sure he is a future ring of honour Lock. I know hockey. 

8 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I see the model being somewhat comparable, but otherwise, not so much - and I've never seen this team make a move like the Ryan deal thankfully, nor do I see this team doing so.

I see us more like the Montreal Canadians.  We don't do teardown/tankdowns.  Simple as that.

Let me ask you this: do you see any of the great NHL franchises looking for a lottery pick handout to corporate welfare them  back to respectability?

No, no you do not.

The Montreal Canadians have too much self respect for that shizz.

So do the Boston Bruins.

Or the Detroit RedWings.

**********************The ANTI-HFBoarding(Anti Niemi-style & grace) Thread*********************************:

From this day henceforth, I would like this here thread to be seen in such light. Reading the Van page on THAT site, damn-near had me pickin' a bridge! Sorry, but this one life ought to be celebrated, & a good, suddenly exciting, young hockey team can sneak up on ya's, just like tasty, unexpected true love!

1 minute ago, CeeBee51 said:

Maybe we even have our own future Karlsson :blush::lol:

I see what you're saying but I'm comparing the style of rebuild and not the actual components of the team. The sense chose not to tank when Alf left and here we are now. Pretty much the same place in the standings. 

Just now, LaBamba said:

I see what you're saying but I'm comparing the style of rebuild and not the actual components of the team. The sense chose not to tank when Alf left and here we are now. Pretty much the same place in the standings. 

True dat, but a Karlsson type of dman is more or less essential to getting where we want to go.  Could be a Keith, Weber, Doughty type too but Karlsson ain't a half bad model to shoot for.

15 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

This IS the yr to sneak in the side door, & go on an unlikely run. With all the player movement(cap trubs, expansion-juggling), every western team has potential pitfalls & weaknesses.

Example..can any Cal team go into spring, claiming to trust their 'tending more than we should trust ours?

Calling it now..this spring, upsets-aplenty.

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! 

Cup or bust. 

Jokes aside... this team has all the right pieces to win a cup this year. Aquaman needs to buck up and bribe the right people liked the owners of the Kings, Hawks, Bruins have ...

10 minutes ago, apollo said:

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! 

Cup or bust. 

Jokes aside... this team has all the right pieces to win a cup this year. Aquaman needs to buck up and bribe the right people liked the owners of the Kings, Hawks, Bruins have ...

Lmfao thanks man needed that...been having a rough day.:lol:

1 hour ago, Team Bagues said:

This group does kind of have that 94' vibe. Not as ugly or truculent as the 94' crew, but I agree, a Garth Butcher and Dan Quinn for Ronning, Momesso, Courtnall, and Dirk type trade would almost guarantee at least a wild care spot.

Horvat is my new Linden - it's been too long between Lindens - glad to have the Ox leading the yeomen.

I won't put Virt in Stojanov territory yet; but if that is the case it would be nice to pull another Stojanov for Naslund type trade!

I was going to put Virtanen in the Sandlak territory. 

I think we still have ways to go and a lot of things have to go right but I will give JB credit for rebuilding the defence. That seemed like an impossible task to pull off in 2 seasons but he somehow was able to do it. 

Building up forwards depth should be easier than the defence since we already have some promising pieces.

2 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

This team has come a long way in a very short period of time. It was not very long ago that we were icing an AHL calibre group of d-men and now we have a quality group that I believe is the youngest in the NHL. That is an amazing turnaround in such a short period and we still have players like Juolevi and Brisebois in the pipeline.

The goalie situation looks solid for many years to come.

Our forwards are mostly playing to their capabilities but, as most have mentioned, we still need some help there. Adding Boeser, Lockwood, Gaudette, Virtanen and whoever we draft this year should make the forward group much more formidable.

Don't want to get ahead of ourselves but the future is starting to look pretty good.

Happiness is low expectations.

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Rodin might surprise us.

On Jake..it's best if the team is playing well. This will motivate him to work his *$$ off, & become the player he could be. Got the right vets for him to look up to.

Rodin may very well indeed and erikson and baer are trending in the right direction.

I agree with opey. we have a good mix a good coach and a good gm. 

We could surprise alot of people. even this year. 

They have the hallmarks of an up and comer. Good record for a couple weeks followed by stretches of futility (repeat cycle), promising youngins, underdog mentality and good vets helping the kids hone their game and exceed their apparent "abilities". 

We're headed the right direction, and it was great to see such a high level of compete from our very young D with the veteran first pairing hobbled and on the dole. It's kinda crazy that the whole addition by subtraction seemed like a legitimate situation for the Canucks last night. Subtract our two best defender, add a whole bunch of goals and shots from the point that NEVER happen when Edler and Tanev are paired.

Archived