The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Glass Half-Full(bottom's Up! :^)

Nuxfanabroad

I don't want to get ahead of myself here. What I will say...is that we are definitely seeing some growth out of this team. It looks like they are really coming together as a team. One other thing that stands out is the level of character throughout that locker room. They all bust their asses and look like they're truly playing for eachother. 

Not saying it's necessarily related but we seem to be playing a lot better since Virtanen has gone down to Utica. I can't say for sure that he's a locker room cancer or anything but I think it's clear that he was a distraction to the team. With Virtanen down in Utica and Tryamkin getting into the lineup, media and CDC alike haven't had much to bitch about and the team has really rounded out. 

Although a playoff appearance is still very unlikely, this team seams intent on proving just about everyone wrong and that makes for a fun team to watch. 

PS - where'd all the WD haters go? Funny what a couple wins will do :P

- Patience of mgt.

Despite a lengthy cold spell, & rash of injuries. Would've been easy to rush into making questionable deals(like Kane), or start claiming skaters left & right. Even the farm team was firing blanks, so patient call-ups wasn't an easy road to take.

This gives Benning more legitimacy for future FA's(depth types) & PTO's. Basically, if this team commits to you, they'll likely give you until at least mid-season to display what you've got. Also ensures familiarity/continuity in the room.

This patience also applies with Willie. After the Pens' switcheroo/Cup-run, a lot of GM's might consider a copy-cat strategy.

Think back a half-decade when AV was mired in a lengthy slide(I think Burr ended that one too!). It builds trust(players, GM, coach) if you sometimes ride these things out. It's a hump that everyone gets over together. As our strongest team emerged(2010~2012), a lot of that success could likely be traced to those difficult struggles the team used to grow.

It's not to suggest change should never be entertained; yet I like the hierarchy doesn't appear knee-jerk after some Oct/Nov struggles.

4 hours ago, Stelar said:

I was going to put Virtanen in the Sandlak territory. 

Having been around for sandlak and neely I gotta say jake is more neely.  Sandlak did not have Jakes ability to lay the body. Sandlak looked like he should have it but never developed it.

Neely had it.  Jake has it. Give virtanen some time in the minors and he will learn.  He has lost some of what got him to the nhl. He needs to rediscover his confidence and if we're patient, look out.  He's gonna be an impact physical power forward getting 45 to 50 points a year down the road. 

The glass is.....and can be, both half full and half empty.

Half full is as described here, the D and in goal, mostly because those players are here now and playing in the NHL

Even half full for forwards when comparing to forwards already on the team,

BUT,

half empty when comparing to forwards on other teams.

AND

Most of those players are NOT in the NHL, Boeser NOT a "signed" Canuck yet.

Of the 4 regulation wins the team has only one is versus teams in the top 2/3 rds of the league and two total wins against top 15 teams.

The time for the "planned" dip in the standings was 4 years ago, when the team traded away both goalies, now the team getting a top player through the draft is left to chance.

I know the concept of "half full", "half empty" is purely a individual, personal perception, but that is what sells tickets.

On November 30, 2016 at 2:56 PM, Kevin Biestra said:

I will grant that right now, Bo Horvat is looking more like a Trevor Linden type than I originally predicted.  Let's hope that continues...

I'll agree that we're a few "precise trades" from completing the transition.  Hopefully something along the lines of the Ronning / Courtnall trade can happen, but those don't grow on trees.

Right now Virtanen is looking more Stojanov than Neely, but there's time to turn it around.

Actually, a Butcher for Courtnall et al trade is not really out of the question. Keeping in mind the Canucks depth on D, have you noticed what quality Dmen are fetching on the trade market these days? 

23 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Actually, a Butcher for Courtnall et al trade is not really out of the question. Keeping in mind the Canucks depth on D, have you noticed what quality Dmen are fetching on the trade market these days? 

I think Bieksa was our Butcher.  He got us a second rounder.  We may still have some pieces to trade...but look at the price for Evander Kane these days.  If you put Evander Kane in kind of the same ballpark as Courtnall (probably a compliment to Kane) and then also expect Ronning as a throw in (900 points in his career) and then something like Momesso and Dirk as well...

The Courtnall / Ronning trade really was one of the best deals in NHL history.  I think we'd be lucky to get the equivalent of Ronning or Courtnall alone for the equivalent going out in 2016.

11 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I think Bieksa was our Butcher.  He got us a second rounder.  We may still have some pieces to trade...but look at the price for Evander Kane these days.  If you put Evander Kane in kind of the same ballpark as Courtnall (probably a compliment to Kane) and then also expect Ronning as a throw in (900 points in his career) and then something like Momesso and Dirk as well...

The Courtnall / Ronning trade really was one of the best deals in NHL history.  I think we'd be lucky to get the equivalent of Ronning or Courtnall alone for the equivalent going out in 2016.

If we get our top-2 healthy(Jan '17), just lay in the weeds & wait. SOME contender will suffer some D injuries, as Jan/Feb roll on.

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I am liking these cross-generation trade metaphors.

Kane in the Courtnall ballpark is beyond generous!

Courtnall was as gnarly, truculent, ugly, and skilled as they come. Kane hangs out in a penthouse in Vegas.

23 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Or in other words, your answer is no, you haven't noticed what quality Dmen are fetching on the trade market these days.

Horvat is leading the way, he is the next Captian. We have most of the pieces in the system, but the next two drafts are going to be crucial.

A higher spot is great, but I am convinced that JB will find us some great and needed pieces.  But this season is showing us that we already have some great players coming up. 

EW

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2016 at 11:45 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

This IS the yr to sneak in the side door, & go on an unlikely run. With all the player movement(cap trubs, expansion-juggling), every western team has potential pitfalls & weaknesses.

Example..can any Cal team go into spring, claiming to trust their 'tending more than we should trust ours?

Calling it now..this spring, upsets-aplenty.

Yes thank you Nuxfan... This is some of the positiveness, we need here on CDC.

Great thread to start the new year. 

After months of negative and unhappy treads about how we have missed out on all the good players in the league, have no future, sell/trade it all and burn the house down, here is a ray of sunshine...

Archived