The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Glass Half-Full(bottom's Up! :^)

Nuxfanabroad

18 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

I do think we still need two more high drafts to get the forwards we need to get where we want to get to but the defense and goaltending is basically in place. I agree we're closer than it sometimes looks.

I'm with ya on this. I'd prefer to build up our pipeline of top forwards before sneaking into the playoffs and likely compromising that idea. But I guess if the players we have perform well enough to get to the dance and the management doesn't sell any of the future to get us there, especially if the younger guys are doing most of the damage that'll be a pretty good sign moving forward.

On 1 December 2016 at 0:01 AM, apollo said:

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! 

Cup or bust. 

Jokes aside... this team has all the right pieces to win a cup this year. Aquaman needs to buck up and bribe the right people liked the owners of the Kings, Hawks, Bruins have ...

But would have to a very large bribe to outweigh the TV revenues the franchises above offer Bettman when their fans are tuned in (ie winning), don't forget about merchandise sales either. 

• 2 months later...
On ‎2016‎年‎12‎月‎1‎日 at 7:50 AM, Alflives said:

Future:

Goalie is good

Defence is good

Forward...need two young prospects with ELITE skill.  Boeser one?  Lockwood two?

On ‎2016‎年‎12‎月‎1‎日 at 8:20 AM, Rick Blight said:

This team has come a long way in a very short period of time. It was not very long ago that we were icing an AHL calibre group of d-men and now we have a quality group that I believe is the youngest in the NHL. That is an amazing turnaround in such a short period and we still have players like Juolevi and Brisebois in the pipeline.

The goalie situation looks solid for many years to come.

Our forwards are mostly playing to their capabilities but, as most have mentioned, we still need some help there. Adding Boeser, Lockwood, Gaudette, Virtanen and whoever we draft this year should make the forward group much more formidable.

Don't want to get ahead of ourselves but the future is starting to look pretty good.

On ‎2016‎年‎12‎月‎1‎日 at 7:56 AM, Kevin Biestra said:

I will grant that right now, Bo Horvat is looking more like a Trevor Linden type than I originally predicted.  Let's hope that continues...

I'll agree that we're a few "precise trades" from completing the transition.  Hopefully something along the lines of the Ronning / Courtnall trade can happen, but those don't grow on trees.

Right now Virtanen is looking more Stojanov than Neely, but there's time to turn it around.

Look at that gents..we were all mostly clamouring for some fwd-acquisitions. Didn't have to wait TOO long, from early December.

BUMPing this thread, cos' the glass IS half-full!

On ‎2016‎年‎12‎月‎1‎日 at 8:36 AM, Coconuts said:

I can appreciate the glass half-full sentiment, but unless we unexpectedly make out like bandits in a trade or two we aren't gonna be anything resembling a contender for a while. The rest of your points are alright though.

:^)

On ‎2016‎年‎12‎月‎2‎日 at 7:10 AM, TheGuardian_ said:

The glass is.....and can be, both half full and half empty.

Half full is as described here, the D and in goal, mostly because those players are here now and playing in the NHL

Even half full for forwards when comparing to forwards already on the team,

BUT,

half empty when comparing to forwards on other teams.

AND

Most of those players are NOT in the NHL, Boeser NOT a "signed" Canuck yet.

Of the 4 regulation wins the team has only one is versus teams in the top 2/3 rds of the league and two total wins against top 15 teams.

The time for the "planned" dip in the standings was 4 years ago, when the team traded away both goalies, now the team getting a top player through the draft is left to chance.

I know the concept of "half full", "half empty" is purely a individual, personal perception, but that is what sells tickets.

I recently read that when a cynic smells flowers, he'll look around for a coffin!

On 30/11/2016 at 7:52 PM, VIC_CITY said:

Although a playoff appearance is still very unlikely, this team seams intent on proving just about everyone wrong and that makes for a fun team to watch. 

PS - where'd all the WD haters go? Funny what a couple wins will do :P

In the interim ( 2 years)

we need a goalie.

Not sure they will get Miller resigned to reasonable 2 year term? Or that Markstrom has the metal to be the starter he has been touted from day one? He was brought in with expectations he would be a number #1.

The Sedins have another year to air out their contracts.( We could use a slick Center from draft , that we have been missing )

EDler not sure what the plan is with him? I hope he is gone in next year or 2 an we get lucky in draft an grab another replacement in 3 Rd round or later.

This is my half empty scenario. Not long ago it was half full

Archived