The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Vancouver/Victoria host of 2019 WJHC

5 minutes ago, The Weasel said:

Sick!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully I can go. Are there are any really good kids that are tracking to make that canadian team?

PLD? More than likely also Nolan Patrick, Gabriel Vilardi, Maxime Comtois.

I'm quite interested to see Juolevi compete for Finland

1 minute ago, VanGnome said:

PLD? More than likely also Nolan Patrick, Gabriel Vilardi, Maxime Comtois.

I'm quite interested to see Juolevi compete for Finland

Dubois and Juolevi will be too old for the 2019 tourney.  

Vilardi and Patrick will probably be in the NHL at that point as well.

Just now, Jägermeister said:

Canada's team was actually really weak when you look back on it.  If it weren't for Toews and Pogge that is.

LOL Justin Pogge. The goaltender of the future for the Leafs if I remember correctly.

Actually looking at the roster it wasn't half bad!

Pogge, Dubnyk, Bourdon (RIP), Letang, Russell, Staal, Bolland, Cogliano, Toews. Defence and goaltending pretty solid, but that forward group was kinda weak in terms of how they turned out in the NHL, but as far as Junior players were concerned, they were pretty decent,

If this happens, I am thrilled for Canucks fans.

There is a high possibility the Canucks will have quite a few prospects represented at the tournament considering where we are at in terms of contending for the cup. Might finally get my behind on a plane to Vancouver, it's been long overdue 

Canucks Now ‏@CanucksNow  26m26 minutes ago

Canucks Now Retweeted Canucks Now

Scott Smith (Hockey Canada): "This is a partnership with BC Hockey, Victoria Royals, Vancouver Giants, and Vancouver #Canucks."

Canucks Now ‏@CanucksNow  5m5 minutes ago

Tom Renney: "The bid here (in BC) was fantastic, this one was outstanding. The legacy of this event should have lasting impacts." #Canucks

Canucks Now ‏@CanucksNow  2m2 minutes ago

As per Ron Toigo, all of Team Canada's 2019 WJHC round-robin games will be played at Rogers Arena. #Canucks

Canucks Now ‏@CanucksNow  23m23 minutes ago

Ron Toigo on 2019 WJHC scheduling: "We're going to spread it out as much as we can."

Canucks Now ‏@CanucksNow  25m25 minutes ago

Ron Toigo: "I didn't think we could pull it off. I thought EDM-CGY was too much with Bob Nicholson being there. We need to get on the map."

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/news/news-singleview/?tx_ttnews[tt_news]=11200&cHash=3a8d9b50c66a17c87e5b1902df4e67ac

VANCOUVER – Hockey Canada announced on December 1 that the 2019 IIHF World Junior Championship has been allocated to Vancouver and Victoria.

It is the second time in history that the World Juniors will take place in the Western province of British Columbia. In 2006, Vancouver co-hosted the tournament along with Kelowna and Kamloops. That year, Victoria, the provincial capital, got two exhibition games (USA-Sweden and Sweden-Norway) at Bear Mountain Arena.

The announcement came at Rogers Arena, the site of the 2010 Olympic hockey tournament (known then as “Canada Hockey Place”). Also the home of the Vancouver Canucks, it will host 19 games, including the medal round.

“This is symbolic of what the game should really be at the end of the day – the experience of a lifetime,” said Hockey Canada CEO Tom Renney. “We want to make it an athletic experience like none other, so that children continue to want to try to play hockey. That is the bigger game we play.”

The Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre will host 14 games in Victoria. The 2005-completed building, with a capacity of 7,400, is home to the WHL’s Victoria Royals.

“It was just an automatic to go to Victoria,” said Barry Petrachenko, the Victoria-based CEO of BC Hockey and a co-chair of the organizing committee along with Vancouver Giants majority owner Ron Toigo. “I think it’s going to mean a lot to the city. Victoria is a hockey town, and it’ll be great to bring this event to our city.”

Toigo reminisced nostalgically about Canada’s second straight gold medal in 2006 under head coach Brent Sutter: “To win in the manner they did – in this building here, against Russia, 5-0 – it was just a great experience for everybody. When that was over, we said: ‘That was a lot of fun. We’d like to do this again.’”

The 2006 tournament enjoyed a then-record attendance of 325,138. The current record is 455,342 from the 2012 tournament in Edmonton and Calgary.

Others on hand for the announcement included Hockey Canada COO Scott Smith, acting Vancouver mayor Raymond Louie, British Columbia deputy premier Rich Coleman, and Vancouver Canucks president and 1988 World Junior gold medalist Trevor Linden.

Coleman said the provincial government would provide $2.3 million CAD to the tournament, with $300,000 allocated for legacy programs for BC youth hockey. As in 2006, the government will also supply a $10-million guarantee to the event.

“Last time, it wasn’t called on because of TV revenues and the success in Vancouver,” said Coleman. “It was never touched. But for the success of an event like this, it’s important to know that governments will step up and be partners.

Vancouver and Victoria beat out three strong competing bids: Edmonton-Calgary, London-Windsor, and Winnipeg-Saskatoon.

“When you put on an international event of this magnitude, everybody’s wearing Canadian jerseys,” Toigo said. “Everybody’s proud of being Canadian. It’s just a real good event for the community at large. It’s good for the economy as well.”

The 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship will also take place in Canada. Sites will be announced at a future date.

LUCAS AYKROYD

Archived