The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat makes all star ballot

cuporbust

null

41 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

To be fair , he couldn't skate. He made a MASSIVE improvement in his skating in his first year. It was attributed to his pro skating coach( who's name is escaping me right now). 

1040 was talking about this a few days ago. It was being thrown around that he could be the most improved skater in nucks history considering where he was and where he is now. It is a reflection of his character and work ethic (which is why he is our most valuable asset for the future imo).

https://youtu.be/EkqcuEtiw3Q

Agreed, he has improved on his skating.

Is the lady in this video, Kathy Mcllwain, the skating instructor you were talking about?

Members of CDC.

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for a Markstrom nomination I can tell you I don't have that power, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you spam vote Horvat now that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you, but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will kill you...

*Logs off*

2 hours ago, Aircool said:

While I'm not criticizing the return from the series of trades revolving around and including the Kesler trade, your evaluations are laughable. Brandon Sutter is a Top-6 center? I think he is the definition of a Middle-6 center... There is ABSOLUTELY no first line upside there at all. Not criticizing acquiring him, but don't overrate him... He's a below average 2nd line center, and an above average 3rd line center. Erik Gudbranson is not a Top-4 defenseman.... Who cares if he is giant or a 3rd overall draft pick. He was an off-board 3rd overall draft pick who has since proven that he was taken far too early. Again, not criticizing the acquisition, (although to be fair, I would have liked to acquire something different for McCann and some picks) but don't overrate him. I think you've accurately rated Sbisa, as a #5.... What's the difference between Sbisa and Gudbranson as players? One is bigger and checks harder, and one moves the puck better, both play shoddy defense...

I'm sick and tired of this notion that because Erik Gudbranson is huge, and likes to throw hits, and can't play offense, that automatically he is a defensive maestro... Who would you rather have? Chris Tanev or Erik Gudbranson? Because Chris Tanev is a #3.... And they aren't even close... So what does that make Erik Gudbranson? The Vancouver Canucks fans are turning into Manchester United fans... You see an average player who doesn't make horrible blunders, and all of a sudden that player is an all-star in your eyes, because you've forgotten what quality looks like... 

I don't think I overrated Erik Gudbranson. Dale Tallon, the man who built the Chicago team before leaving for Florida, believed Gudbranson was worthy enough to be the third overall pick. Has Gudbranson lived up to those expectations? Not yet, and neither did his offensive game develop. 

Regrdless of those expectations, and regardless of the fact that he was a former third overall pick, Erik Gudbranson is a top-4 defenseman. In the post-season  Gudbranson was the leading minute defenseman on a playoff Florida team. He was used in a shutdown role and played against Tavares and the Islanders' top scorers. Throughout the 2015.16 season he played on average 20:07 TOI per game and started 59% of his shifts in the defensive zone. Even here in Vancouver Gudbranson is playing 20:11 TOI per game and being the defensive presence to Hutton's offensive presence, and will split matchups with Edler. 

For other examples, Dan Hamhuis is regarded as a top-4 defenseman and he plays slightly more on a talented Dallas team with 20:16 TOI per game. Adam Larsson plays slightly less at 20:08 TOI per game but is he not considered a top-4 defenseman? Dougie Hamilton on the other hand plays just 19:20 TOI per game this season but is he not a top-4 defenseman? 

Usage and TOI over a long period of time defines a player's roster role, especially when it coms to a defenseman. Based on his usage and minutes both in Florida and in Vancouver, Gudbranson is a top-4 defenseman. 

7 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

I don't think I overrated Erik Gudbranson. Dale Tallon, the man who built the Chicago team before leaving for Florida, believed Gudbranson was worthy enough to be the third overall pick. Has Gudbranson lived up to those expectations? Not yet, and neither did his offensive game develop. 

Regrdless of those expectations, and regardless of the fact that he was a former third overall pick, Erik Gudbranson is a top-4 defenseman. In the post-season  Gudbranson was the leading minute defenseman on a playoff Florida team. He was used in a shutdown role and played against Tavares and the Islanders' top scorers. Throughout the 2015.16 season he played on average 20:07 TOI per game and started 59% of his shifts in the defensive zone. Even here in Vancouver Gudbranson is playing 20:11 TOI per game and being the defensive presence to Hutton's offensive presence, and will split matchups with Edler. 

For other examples, Dan Hamhuis is regarded as a top-4 defenseman and he plays slightly more on a talented Dallas team with 20:16 TOI per game. Adam Larsson plays slightly less at 20:08 TOI per game but is he not considered a top-4 defenseman? Dougie Hamilton on the other hand plays just 19:20 TOI per game this season but is he not a top-4 defenseman? 

Usage and TOI over a long period of time defines a player's roster role, especially when it coms to a defenseman. Based on his usage and minutes both in Florida and in Vancouver, Gudbranson is a top-4 defenseman. 

LOL.. thanks for the free win in this argument... You could have at least tried to have a defensible standpoint. So Dale Tallon drafting him makes him a success? Obviously not. Admitting that he hasn't lived up to those expectations helps your case? Obviously not. His offensive game hasn't developed? Well that's an understatement. You make it sound like he actually has an offensive game. LOL....

How did Florida do against the Islanders? Just out of curiosity..... I'd answer the question for you, but I think it would be far more fun to make you say it... But for even more fun, how did the Islanders do against the Lightning? Then answer me, how would Florida have done against the Lightning... Just curious what you think.

The rest of your argument is a pathetically hopeless one, I can't believe you'd waste your time writing it. Time on ice defines skill? Okay. I guess Alex Edler is a Norris candidate. His TOI is AMAZING!!! Usage and capability are not the same thing. If a team doesn't have sufficient assets to play people in their proper roles, then people who aren't good enough have to step up, this is the nature of TOI.... There are 300 minutes of ice time to fill for skaters excluding subtractions for penalty minutes... You fill them how you fill them based on what you have, but that CERTAINLY DOES NOT elevate a players capabilities... Bo Horvat has played with 4th line wingers for much of this season... Does that change his capability or his talent? Because we all knew he shouldn't have been there... You can play Jannik Hansen with the Sedins all you like, that doesn't make him a 1st line winger.

5 hours ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

Who was it complaining in the Horvat thread about Schneider being an all star and Horvat would need to get to that level for it to be a fair trade?

3rd year pro, all star nomination.

Bo knows.

Stupid Vancouver fans who don't know the game. Happens all the time. It was pretty obvious that we got a gem when we drafted him.

15 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Stupid Vancouver fans who don't know the game. Happens all the time. It was pretty obvious that we got a gem when we drafted him.

Was it?.....Bo Horvat was not projected to go at #9 (Hunter Shinkaruk was rated higher on some mock drafts),Bob McKenzie had Bo at #13.....I'm a Horvat fan,how can you not be...but lets not kid ourselves..we gave up an elite goaltender to acquire him.

1 minute ago, Honky Cat said:

Was it?.....Bo Horvat was not projected to go at #9 (Hunter Shinkaruk was rated higher on some mock drafts),Bob McKenzie had Bo at #13.....I'm a Horvat fan,how can you not be...but lets not kid ourselves..we gave up an elite goaltender to acquire him.

I remember at the time I was shocked we traded Cory, but I was more then happy with Horvat. He was a much needed young centre at the time. His memorial cup run that draft year was magical. Gillis saw it and knew he was gonna be a 2 way force. I never wanted the big Russian he has lots of skill but taking a Russian in the first round is risky business unless they are already playing in the CHL.

4 hours ago, Aircool said:

While I'm not criticizing the return from the series of trades revolving around and including the Kesler trade, your evaluations are laughable. Brandon Sutter is a Top-6 center? I think he is the definition of a Middle-6 center... There is ABSOLUTELY no first line upside there at all. Not criticizing acquiring him, but don't overrate him... He's a below average 2nd line center, and an above average 3rd line center. Erik Gudbranson is not a Top-4 defenseman.... Who cares if he is giant or a 3rd overall draft pick. He was an off-board 3rd overall draft pick who has since proven that he was taken far too early. Again, not criticizing the acquisition, (although to be fair, I would have liked to acquire something different for McCann and some picks) but don't overrate him. I think you've accurately rated Sbisa, as a #5.... What's the difference between Sbisa and Gudbranson as players? One is bigger and checks harder, and one moves the puck better, both play shoddy defense...

I'm sick and tired of this notion that because Erik Gudbranson is huge, and likes to throw hits, and can't play offense, that automatically he is a defensive maestro... Who would you rather have? Chris Tanev or Erik Gudbranson? Because Chris Tanev is a #3.... And they aren't even close... So what does that make Erik Gudbranson? The Vancouver Canucks fans are turning into Manchester United fans... You see an average player who doesn't make horrible blunders, and all of a sudden that player is an all-star in your eyes, because you've forgotten what quality looks like... 

Sutter is ranked 49th among all NHL centers in points. Doing some simple math: 30 NHL teams, each has 2 top 6 centers, which means 60 top 6 centres. Sounds like a top 6 to me.

On a side note Granlund also ranks in the top 60 and when we add Henrik that means we have 4 players in the top 60 for NHL center production. Loving the depth we're starting to have.

Gudbranson still needs time to adjust. People seem to have this unrealistic view that a player when traded for will automatically be perfect and reach his ceiling in his first half season with his new team. By next year your mind will change about Gudbranson. Quote me on it.

1 hour ago, Mattrek said:

Sutter is ranked 49th among all NHL centers in points. Doing some simple math: 30 NHL teams, each has 2 top 6 centers, which means 60 top 6 centres. Sounds like a top 6 to me.

On a side note Granlund also ranks in the top 60 and when we add Henrik that means we have 4 players in the top 60 for NHL center production. Loving the depth we're starting to have.

Gudbranson still needs time to adjust. People seem to have this unrealistic view that a player when traded for will automatically be perfect and reach his ceiling in his first half season with his new team. By next year your mind will change about Gudbranson. Quote me on it.

So every team has a #1 center in your opinion? I mean if you say so.... Markus Granlund is 74th in the league amongst centers in scoring, and he has 9 points.... So I mean, if you set the bar for a supposed 2nd line center at 30pts in a season then okay... While 74th by your math isn't a 2nd line center, you looked at his production and thought fit to include him in your post.... So I'm going to hold you to this standard.

My mind won't change about Gudbranson, unless he actually improves... I don't think he is any worse than he was in Florida, I'm just not buying what he's selling... His game is overrated... It's all flash and no substance.

Archived