The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kuzma's article on Benning (re: Virtanen)

OwnGoal

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Helps to deal with 'the strain'. Team's 5-4-1 in games that I donned the colander!

Wow, that's a pretty even record on colander duty. Must have something to do with equality.. how novel! FSM loves us all, he boiled for our sins.

4 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Way to get the coach's support by going over his head to the GM

who does he think he is? 

He has accomplished NOTHING as a pro 

haha, I thought of that too, he actually called the GM to talk about his role? That's like some extra in a movie that calls the director at home to talk about how he should play the part of "person in crowd".  

He not only hasn't accomplished anything as a pro, but he's done nothing in Utica yet either. (2 assists in 8 games so far)

Just now, DeltaSwede said:

He's 20 years old.. patience 

So much this.

I wish we could just erase him from everyone's memory for the next 2-3 years so I don't have to read the constant whining of how much of a bust he is, how we 'ruined him' etc, etc...

12 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

who does he think he is? 

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

haha, I thought of that too, he actually called the GM to talk about his role? That's like some extra in a movie that calls the director at home to talk about how he should play the part of "person in crowd".  

He not only hasn't accomplished anything as a pro, but he's done nothing in Utica yet either. (2 assists in 8 games so far)

...I'm pretty sure he called to explain/apologize for the comments he made regarding him being sent up and down.. possibly talk about the Canucks plan for him moving forward.. seems like Jim Benning would be the right man to call.. 

Seems to me it is a positive thing that Jake acknowledged that he needed to clear things up with management.

When are we going to get the pitchforks out again? Can we crucify somebody? 

I think the issue is that Jake was drafted 6th overall so there are high expectations with him. Players drafted after him are on their NHL teams and contributing. Jake is struggling and reluctantly on the farm team. As fans it's understandable to comment on his development, or lack thereof. It'll take time, which is fine, but we are watching Jake. 6th overall man, get it together.

I take this all as a positive.  Virtanen clearly desires to have open communication with Benning, and he wouldn't do so if he truly felt all hope was lost. 

As well, the only reason he has Benning's number (we presume) is because Benning wants open communication himself from his players.

All good stuff.

Jake has to realize that he needs to contribute.  What I've seen from him is a lack of scoring, a lack of hockey IQ (which may never come), and seemingly uninspired play much of the time.  I maintain he has all the tools to be a really good player in this league, but need needs to grow up and needs to put in the effort required to get results.

38 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

who does he think he is? 

Was waiting for someone to try and put a negative spin on this.  Sounds to me like Jake realized he may have misspoken in the interview and was trying to clear things up.  That's what adults do. 

Also, this has nothing to do with the coach at all.  Put aside your blind hatred for the kid for a second.

edit: before you come back with "jake said blah blah about stuff" what I mean is that he called Jim to clear things up, not to trash his coach.  No one went over anyone's head.  For all you know he could have called Willie as well.

28 minutes ago, The Sedge said:

Was waiting for someone to try and put a negative spin on this.  Sounds to me like Jake realized he may have misspoken in the interview and was trying to clear things up.  That's what adults do. 

Also, this has nothing to do with the coach at all.  Put aside your blind hatred for the kid for a second.

edit: before you come back with "jake said blah blah about stuff" what I mean is that he called Jim to clear things up, not to trash his coach.  No one went over anyone's head.  For all you know he could have called Willie as well.

Amazing how people are so sensitive to anyone questioning poor little Jake. There was a day in the NHL when a rookie or even sophomore could speak to nobody until they EARNED the right.

Lots of people assuming lots of thinks so let's stick to the facts shall we? Fact 1) he has run his mouth over playing line mates and times 2) he threw the team management under the bus with his "I didn't have anything to pick up" comment 3) he was an embarrassment at the World Juniors 4) he has been useless in the games he as appeared in as a Canuck and as a Comet

Archived