The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Ducks @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

First Willie wanted to put Horvat in a defensive role (would've helped tonight), then Horvat showed his offensive skills so he got promoted up a couple lines (also would've helped tonight) but he sat longer than most of the other Canucks tonight, I only heard his name what 3 times from commentary tonight? I think I heard Garbutt's name more often.

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Get them off the top pp unit. Or split them up so they will stop pretending they are playing 2 on 2. 

exactly.  look how many chances they generated against the wild by using that point shot (mostly from stecher) and going to the net.  its like they forgot what worked and went back to the slow predictable crap.

also, no excuse for your top goal scorer to be playing less than a lot of guys who have done a lot less.  

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"We had a 5-on-3 and couldn't do anything. We had a chance to swing the game and we couldn't execute. Not good enough." - H. Sedin

What incredible insight.  Maybe the interviewers need to ask him and Daniel why they like to waste 1:30 of each PP passing it uselessly around the perimeter and then trying to force passes through the slot the other team is ready for?  Someone call these two out for their stubborn, useless play.

1 minute ago, Qwags said:

Not gonna get much done when you give Horvat 14 minutes of game time.

Now,lets give the coach credit. Bo played 15 minutes and line mates played 13.

I think the plan is to let the twins catch up on the score sheet.

Miller is not playing well right now yet he keeps getting the starts. I am tired of watching the twins do the same old crap game after game. Larsen project should end now. Subban deserves a chance.

1 minute ago, Creepy Crawler said:

First Willie wanted to put Horvat in a defensive role (would've helped tonight), then Horvat showed his offensive skills so he got promoted up a couple lines (also would've helped tonight) but he sat longer than most of the other Canucks tonight, I only heard his name what 3 times from commentary tonight? I think I heard Garbutt's name more often.

twitchy is something else I tell ya

1 minute ago, Creepy Crawler said:

Horvat looked P'd in his interview...maybe he said something to WD between the 2nd and third and WD sent him a message.  Personally, I would be happy if Bo called out WD and made JB choose between the two.  WD is the coaching version of a pylon.

Not a great game. Not poorly coached, just poorly played by the Canucks.

1) Sedins looked alright out there, but really couldn't click with Sutter tonight for whatever reason. That's going to happen during the season, but what a stupid move to play the twins with Megna of all people. Bad move by WD wasted half the 3rd period there. Good move to try Eriksson because it paid off. I'd also like to see him try Horvat with the Sedins at some point because that really is a match made in heaven.

2) Horvat, Burrows and Baertschi looked good again, generated chances but no finish tonight. Can't expect them to score every night but Baertschi's defence is very underated and as a trio they're a fantastic 2b/3a type line. 

3) Eriksson and Granlund didn't have the chances they usually do, Eriksson was good with the twins and Chaput really played well. This guy is a fantastic playmaker, big body and good passer. He racked up assists in the AHL and now he's playing like a nice playmaking center in the NHL which is what the Canucks desperately needed on any line. Keep him with a decent shooter and a big body who can clear some space and we've got a good line.

4) Fourth line looked good tonight and earned their ice time but again, they're never going to score considering they're a bunch of fringe AHLers and PTOs. Good game by Gaunce and Skille.

5) Defence costs us the game at the end of the day. Stecher played well, nice shots and great skating but a classic rookie mistakes seals the game. He was beaten 1-on-1 only once but apart from that played well against the big Anaheim forwards. A real tough challenge, he played pretty average but still good for a rookie and it's unfortunate that the mistake he makes costs us the entire game.

Sbisa had a very good game for once, no stupid mistakes, held pucks in the offensive zone really well, had some shots and shut down the Ducks top-2 lines well.

Hutton looks like a mess out there at times. He's a real wild-card every single game and tonight he was dangerously bad spinning and turning pucks over. This kid doesn't get enough criticism for when he has a bad game because he's such a fan favourite. Granted he played against the Ducks top line and stoned Getzlaf and Perry, he looked downright awful on our powerplay, couldn't get anything going offensively and really struggled there. Defensively he didn't make any massive mistakes that cost us tonight though.

Gudbranson had an up and down game too. Nothing offensively, some good keep ins and great physical play along the boards but that was a terrible 2-0 goal he let in, it seems as though a lot of pucks are going in our net off Gudbranson lately which may be unlucky or poor timing and positioning.

Traymkin had a rough game tonight. Played the first goal very poorly spacing-wise, he should have been much closer to Fowler, and he got spun around and embarassed on the 2-0 goal along with Gudbranson. Had a few good box-outs and played great physically but it's those big mistakes that came not against size, but against speed, that we need to eliminate.

Larsen looked very bad out there too, primary guy to blame for the 2-0 goal because he left his man Silverberg completely open. Apart from that he wasn't great physically, lost a few board battles, and didn't generate any offence or shots through at all.

Miller was pretty up and down, didn't have to make any massive saves but really let in some softies. The 1-0 goal is hard to blame him for, the 2-0 goal was another defensive mess but that 3-1 goal is, to be fair, 50% his fault. Sure, Stecher tipped it, but from so far out along the boards any goalie should still be able to stop it. The tip didn't even change the direction of the puck, it just made it flutter. No traffic, clutch moment, he lets in a bad goal. Brutal, but then the defence is to blame for the other goals and he is not getting ANY help.

Another game, another poor defensive effort where Edler and Tanev are desperately missed. On the plus-side, when they return we have Stecher as our best D-man arguably on our bottom pairing. Good reason to be optimistic, the defence will be better and learn from these terrible mistakes but hopefully they just don't cost us too many points in the standings.

TL;DR - Bad game all around from everyone top to bottom.

5 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

How do you justify that little ice time for Horvat the way he has played????

I've seen this from famous rock groups before.. you make the big time, people around you are cheering, reporters and microphones shoved in your face when you just want to go home and put on your conductors hat and play with your model trains....

Willies turned to meth :(

5 minutes ago, Fateless said:

How is it not coaching? Our leading goal scorer got less than 15 minutes of ice-time?

We sssssucked all around for 42 minutes of the hockey game. When every major anyalist predicts we are not a great team this year , maybe there is something to it. Lets take the blinders off for a sec.  This is what we have right now. A team that's guna bounce around without real consistency. Its no secret. It goes way beyond Bo horvat and his ice time. What he needs is to be surrounded by a better overall team

1 minute ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Horvat looked P'd in his interview...maybe he said something to WD between the 2nd and third and WD sent him a message.  Personally, I would be happy if Bo called out WD and made JB choose between the two.  WD is the coaching version of a pylon.

Benning would trade Bo for Evander Kane.

Just now, DownUndaCanuck said:

Not a great game. Not poorly coached, just poorly played by the Canucks.

1) Sedins looked alright out there, but really couldn't click with Sutter tonight for whatever reason. That's going to happen during the season, but what a stupid move to play the twins with Megna of all people. Bad move by WD wasted half the 3rd period there. Good move to try Eriksson because it paid off. I'd also like to see him try Horvat with the Sedins at some point because that really is a match made in heaven.

2) Horvat, Burrows and Baertschi looked good again, generated chances but no finish tonight. Can't expect them to score every night but Baertschi's defence is very underated and as a trio they're a fantastic 2b/3a type line. 

3) Eriksson and Granlund didn't have the chances they usually do, Eriksson was good with the twins and Chaput really played well. This guy is a fantastic playmaker, big body and good passer. He racked up assists in the AHL and now he's playing like a nice playmaking center in the NHL which is what the Canucks desperately needed on any line. Keep him with a decent shooter and a big body who can clear some space and we've got a good line.

4) Fourth line looked good tonight and earned their ice time but again, they're never going to score considering they're a bunch of fringe AHLers and PTOs. Good game by Gaunce and Skille.

5) Defence costs us the game at the end of the day. Stecher played well, nice shots and great skating but a classic rookie mistakes seals the game. He was beaten 1-on-1 only once but apart from that played well against the big Anaheim forwards. A real tough challenge, he played pretty average but still good for a rookie and it's unfortunate that the mistake he makes costs us the entire game.

Sbisa had a very good game for once, no stupid mistakes, held pucks in the offensive zone really well, had some shots and shut down the Ducks top-2 lines well.

Hutton looks like a mess out there at times. He's a real wild-card every single game and tonight he was dangerously bad spinning and turning pucks over. This kid doesn't get enough criticism for when he has a bad game because he's such a fan favourite. Granted he played against the Ducks top line and stoned Getzlaf and Perry, he looked downright awful on our powerplay, couldn't get anything going offensively and really struggled there. Defensively he didn't make any massive mistakes that cost us tonight though.

Gudbranson had an up and down game too. Nothing offensively, some good keep ins and great physical play along the boards but that was a terrible 2-0 goal he let in, it seems as though a lot of pucks are going in our net off Gudbranson lately which may be unlucky or poor timing and positioning.

Traymkin had a rough game tonight. Played the first goal very poorly spacing-wise, he should have been much closer to Fowler, and he got spun around and embarassed on the 2-0 goal along with Gudbranson. Had a few good box-outs and played great physically but it's those big mistakes that came not against size, but against speed, that we need to eliminate.

Larsen looked very bad out there too, primary guy to blame for the 2-0 goal because he left his man Silverberg completely open. Apart from that he wasn't great physically, lost a few board battles, and didn't generate any offence or shots through at all.

Miller was pretty up and down, didn't have to make any massive saves but really let in some softies. The 1-0 goal is hard to blame him for, the 2-0 goal was another defensive mess but that 3-1 goal is, to be fair, 50% his fault. Sure, Stecher tipped it, but from so far out along the boards any goalie should still be able to stop it. The tip didn't even change the direction of the puck, it just made it flutter. No traffic, clutch moment, he lets in a bad goal. Brutal, but then the defence is to blame for the other goals and he is not getting ANY help.

Another game, another poor defensive effort where Edler and Tanev are desperately missed. On the plus-side, when they return we have Stecher as our best D-man arguably on our bottom pairing. Good reason to be optimistic, the defence will be better and learn from these terrible mistakes but hopefully they just don't cost us too many points in the standings.

TL;DR - Bad game all around from everyone top to bottom.

good write up!

what time do you watch the games in Australia?

5 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"We had a 5-on-3 and I didn't do anything because I decided to try the same play for a 4th time after the first 3 times didn't work. We had a chance to swing the game and we couldn't execute because I would only pass to my brother. Not good enough." - H. Sedin

FTFY Henrik.

Archived