The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Ducks @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

Not sure how he keeps a straight face when he says that stuff. I guess it is all for the best as we need to draft high anyway. I just feel sorry for Bo. He looked frustrated in his interview.

You grab the team scoring lead. You just get named to the NHL All-Star ballot. You're down 2-0.
Your coach wants to "try the fourth line more".
I just don't get it.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I'm curious why you think Gallant would be a better fit.

Anything tangible to offer?

Not a bad idea, I prefer Gallant over Desjardins for the way he prepares this team.   Gallant is a good coach even I don't know him well enough to gauge his coaching but he got Florida to the playoffs last season and is on their way to another season but injuries has hurt him and the Panthers' GM and Gallant has two different views on how hockey should be played even Tallan is not in charge anymore.  

3 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

So he sacrificed the team and a possible win to get Eriksson going?  The same Erkisson who has been on a scoring run lately?  Yeah...that makes sense. 

WD is over-coaching...constantly putting someone else with the twins to "get them going" when it is their play that is the problem.  Tonight sitting Bo to get Eriksson going...that's up to Eriksson, he's a seasoned vet FFS.

He gave the minutes to the Granlund-Eriksson line.  Granlund played close to 4min more than Horvat - EV time.  Their PK and PP time matched.  

Didn't watch this game but keep in mind that we have the youngest D-corps in the league, it's growing pains.

From what I'm seeing from these posts is this was a lackluster effort until the last 10 minutes or so. That's exactly what we're trying to eliminate from last season.

1 minute ago, EmilyM said:

You grab the team scoring lead. You just get named to the NHL All-Star ballot. You're down 2-0.
Your coach wants to "try the fourth line more".
I just don't get it.

Exactly, He is an idiot and the way the Ducks has played and not using Horvat more shows me his clueless.  I mean, they were rolling along in last 10 games with that line and not using that line more in an important divisional game than other non-divisional games.   That makes no sense at all.  4th line is 4th line and he still thinks that Horvat is 4th line when proven otherwise.  

1 minute ago, mll said:

He gave the minutes to the Granlund-Eriksson line.  Granlund played close to 4min more than Horvat - EV time.  Their PK and PP time matched.  

I know.  He said he wanted to get Eriksson going in response to why Bo's minutes were down.  Are you saying that makes sense and that Eriksson needing to "get going" is a reason to sit your leading scorer?

6 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Not sure how he keeps a straight face when he says that stuff. I guess it is all for the best as we need to draft high anyway. I just feel sorry for Bo. He looked frustrated in his interview.

Bo should be frustrated he's a warrior pretty much every game and doesn't take shifts, periods and whole games off like several other players on the team.

Horvat is the ultimate team player and will go through a wall to help his team instead he sat on the bench. 

Are there any justifications for these decisions Willie made tonight? I usually try my best to give him the benefit of the doubt and try to understand his reasonings, but I can't defend this tonight. If anyone has any defense for him, I would love to hear what they are.

2 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Are there any justifications for these decisions Willie made tonight? I usually try my best to give him the benefit of the doubt and try to understand his reasonings, but I can't defend this tonight. If anyone has any defense for him, I would love to hear what they are.

There is no justification suitable to explain it in my opinion. Just terrible coaching all the way around.

24 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

So he sacrificed the team and a possible win to get Eriksson going?  The same Erkisson who has been on a scoring run lately?  Yeah...that makes sense. 

WD is over-coaching...constantly putting someone else with the twins to "get them going" when it is their play that is the problem.  Tonight sitting Bo to get Eriksson going...that's up to Eriksson, he's a seasoned vet FFS.

How is giving a guy who scored 6 goals in 9 games , and has been a proven NHL goal scorrer "sacrificing the team" exactly? Because Eriksson had a slow start and is not your favorite player ?

Sometimes as a coach you need to just keep going with what's working. The Sedins haven't been very effective for several games. Last game they were a bit better (but still not great) and the result in Desjardins mind is now he can justify playing them 21 min again? Against the Ducks? 

Even Desjardins most ardent fanboys can't look at this as anything other than coaching scared and quite frankly &^@#ing it up. 

If if he wanted the 4th line (ffs why) and Eriksson to play more, take that time from the Sedins, not the guys who have been driving your bus for a bunch of games.

Remember Willie - you are driving the BUS, not the TANK.

1 minute ago, cuporbust said:

How is giving a guy who scored 6 goals in 9 games , and has been a proven NHL goal scorrer "sacrificing the team" exactly". Because Eriksson had a slow start and is not your favorite player ?

I love Eriksson. But his excuse is smoke and mirrors. Look at the Sedins ice times. It was about getting the Sedins going, and only the Sedins.

4 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I know.  He said he wanted to get Eriksson going in response to why Bo's minutes were down.  Are you saying that makes sense and that Eriksson needing to "get going" is a reason to sit your leading scorer?

Of course not.  I don't get why he felt the need to scale back the minutes of the Horvat line.  They have been the most productive line at EV since being put together.  It's weird - he raves about the line and talks about how Burrows deserves more toi and he gives him 12min.  Horvat gets 3min more because of special teams and being the extra attacker at the end of the game.  

Sedins 21min

Eriksson 20min
Granlund 19min

Horvat 15min

Burrows/Baer 12min

Archived