The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick OSullivan Rips on Vancouver -The Franchise,City,Fans

WestlockWarrior

7 minutes ago, Davathor said:

Funny how comments from a career disappointment get blown up because

1) Toronto

2) Vancouver

Otherwise a guy who retires at 28 because of skill, not injury, would get no notice because he simply doesn't matter.

Thanks for being a decent call up for me in NHL '11, it's the most noteworthy thing you've ever done. Now watch your mouth or I'll call your dad.

Thanks for warranting more hate to come our way!

Just now, dank.sinatra said:

Thanks for warranting more hate to come our way!

Right. We should fight hate with love. Turn the other cheek and all that jazz. Wouldn't want anyone's feeling to get hurt. We should continue to be the whipping boy for the league.

3 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

Well he wasn't hurt. So that's a pretty big one. Do you honestly think he was going at Rielly with murder in his eyes? You're right I can't tell what he was thinking. Neither can you. I'm just saying that watching Burrows play for 12 years, I don't see him going out there trying to injure people. I see him trying to piss them off, which is what he did.

You're using hurt and injure interchangeably, they mean different things. Yes, Rielly was hurt. He looked pretty hurt. Was he injured? no. I think when you purposely hit someone with a hockey stick it's fair to say you're trying to hurt them and you never fully know what the extent of the ensuing injury may be. The exact same action could have broken Reilly's wrist.

I don't know. I have really conflicting views with the "old school" hockey crowd because I just happen to think that the SPORT of hockey is the most exciting and fun game in the world. I'd just rather watch really sick plays from guys who respect each other rather than a bunch of immature men hitting each other like children. But hey, that's just me.

I'm very aware of the history of hockey so any "it's part of the game" responses are unnecessary. I know it's part of the game, I just wish it wasn't.

1 hour ago, dank.sinatra said:

Annnnnnd it's stuff like this that makes people like O'Sullivan say things like everyone hates Vancouver.

Burrows has said things to his colleagues, Tootoo as another example, that would get you fired in most workplaces and definitely warrants this kind of response or grudge. The fact that Vancouver has given him a platform to and supported him in frankly, being a jackass is a big part of why a lot of people do hate this team.

The interview isn't even that inflammatory to be honest. All of his criticisms are pretty relevant. The fans here do leave very early when the team is losing, maybe it's because our traffic is so awful, and they do get noticeably more supportive when the team is winning, maybe that's because we have better things to do with our time than watch a losing hockey team, clearly Toronto fans don't have that privilege. Sullivan does say he likes Vancouver as a city in the end, in which is otherwise just an interview that uses Sullivan's grudges to generate hype for an already over hyped game.

You can say that for every fan in every sport, not just Vancouver Canucks fans specifically.

1 hour ago, Bitter Melon said:

Right. We should fight hate with love. Turn the other cheek and all that jazz. Wouldn't want anyone's feeling to get hurt. We should continue to be the whipping boy for the league.

Nah I just think once you accept the facts and look at things objectively it's really easy to see why people say things like this about the team.

Being a douche and making fun of O'Sullivan's past is just going to perpetuate the same kind of hateful responses towards Vancouver.

Or hey, I guess getting his dad to make sure his mouth gets wired shut would work too?

I know it's a spirited game but the truly mentally tough players hear that nattering in their ear and they ignore it. Remember Crosby in the World Cup with Kesler yapping in his ear. It's like he wasn't even there. That's how you take the power away from motor-mouths like Burrows. But some of these guys just can't figure it out. He's getting paid a lot of money to get you off your game and they play right into it. I'm not a huge fan of yapping on the ice, think it's a waste of time, but I do believe it has an effect on a lot of players and messes with their heads during a game. The insecure players, i.e. O'Sullivan take it all personally and can't get over some inflammatory comment made on the ice 5+ years ago. Says far more about O'Sullivan than it does about Burrows imo

5 minutes ago, dank.sinatra said:

I think when you purposely hit someone with a hockey stick it's fair to say you're trying to hurt them and you never fully know what the extent of the ensuing injury may be. The exact same action could have broken Reilly's wrist.

I understand the sentiment here, but this could literally apply to any player who has ever commited a slashing infraction on a player (and not the stick). The point being, you've got an adrenaline filled man with a big stick in his hands. Eventually, everyone is going to take a whack at someone, especially when emotions are running high (like the Toronto game). It's the same as giving a group of kids wooden swords. They're going to take swings at eachother from time to time.

Just now, dank.sinatra said:

Ehhhhhhhhhh in my experience, compared to other Canadian NHL teams it's much worse in Vancouver.

I've seen the same in every city when I get a chance to watch on TV. You're telling me majority of fans in Winnipeg/Edmonton will stay when the team is losing 5-0 in the 3rd period with 5 minutes left and the team not showing up hoping for a miraculous comeback? Same can be said for NFL. Lots of fans leave early once they realize their team is not coming back regardless of how dedicated they are. Doesn't mean they're not true/big fans. Just means they realize that it's not worth watching anymore so they wanna avoid the crowd leaving at the end of the game. 

12 minutes ago, NotJaredMcCann said:

I understand the sentiment here, but this could literally apply to any player who has ever commited a slashing infraction on a player (and not the stick). The point being, you've got an adrenaline filled man with a big stick in his hands. Eventually, everyone is going to take a whack at someone, especially when emotions are running high (like the Toronto game). It's the same as giving a group of kids wooden swords. They're going to take swings at eachother from time to time.

Hey here's a crazy idea, don't know where I heard it but I think it goes something along the lines of: adults are expected to behave in a more civilized manner than children?

Idk, that's a tough one. I'll give you some time to think about it, might be a real head scratcher. I know the entire hockey community has failed to wrap their heads around that concept. Maybe you'll get it though.

There's a reason people outside of hockey culture think we're all a bunch of barbarians.

10 minutes ago, Apple Juice said:

I've seen the same in every city when I get a chance to watch on TV. You're telling me majority of fans in Winnipeg/Edmonton will stay when the team is losing 5-0 in the 3rd period with 5 minutes left and the team not showing up hoping for a miraculous comeback? Same can be said for NFL. Lots of fans leave early once they realize their team is not coming back regardless of how dedicated they are. Doesn't mean they're not true/big fans. Just means they realize that it's not worth watching anymore so they wanna avoid the crowd leaving at the end of the game. 

No I'm saying there will be less fans leaving any other Canadian team when they're down 3-2 or 4-2 with 5 minutes left in the third. But, I could also say there will be more fans in Winnipeg when the Jets are down 5-0 than there will be in Vancouver with the Canucks down 5-0. Now that might just be because WHO THE F WANTS TO GO OUTSIDE IN WINNIPEG but hey, makes it look like they care about their team right? Also like I said before our traffic SUCKS and we have other things to do, I get why people leave early, but it would be denial or ignorance to not accept the fact that Vancouver has the flakiest Canadian fan base.  When was the last time you went to a Canucks game or any other NHL game?

1 minute ago, dank.sinatra said:

Hey here's a crazy idea, don't know where I heard it but I think it goes something along the lines of: adults are expected to behave in a more civilized manner than children?

Idk, that's a tough one. I'll give you some time to think about it, might be a real head scratcher. I know the entire hockey community has failed to wrap their heads around that concept. Maybe you'll get it though.

They're playing hockey Mr. Sinatra. The least civilized sport grown-ups can play. It is literally a group of men skating around a frozen ice surface, running into eachother at full speed, slashing, cross-checking and sometimes dropping everything to punch eachother in the face.

Adults are just children who have grown up. Some people take longer than others and some stay childish their whole lives. The fact you jumped straight to trying to insult my intelligence when I raised a valid point proves that.

Burrows when asked about the comments last year:

“I see that it was bigger than what I really thought back then," Burrows said.

“I apologize if I offended him back then. Especially when I first came in [to the NHL], I was playing six or seven minutes a night on the fourth line and I wanted to help any way I could. And if I could get one guy off his game and get in someone’s kitchen, I was willing to do it to help our team or maybe get [us] on the power play. He was a great player. He was one of those guys who could score a lot of goals. He was flashy, he had good hands."

O’Sullivan played in the NHL from 2006 to 2012. He released a book this year detailing the abuse he suffered as his father tried to drive him to become an elite hockey player.

“For sure, sometimes I tried to get in his kitchen and get him off his game. Back then, I didn’t know the magnitude of it. I read his story on The Players’ Tribune last week, and I saw how bad he had it. It’s tough to see for sure. I think I’ve matured a lot. I grew as a player and a person and in today’s society, for sure, it’s something I’ve got to be careful [about]. I wouldn’t cross that line now.”

Sounds like someone who tried to be the bigger person and own up to it. Too bad Sullivan can't do the same. Seriously, how does this guy have a job?

Okay Sully, time to put on your big boy pants and turn the page, champ.

Let it go, you'll be a better man for it. 

I can't speak for everyone, but we're not sorry and don't give a crap what you think everyone thinks about us. Simply - we don't care. So shut up.

Archived