The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis vs Benning Smackdown

orcasgonewild

17 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

At year three and the team has the lowest point totals of the last 3 decades, 30 years and is trending down......I have this great beach front property for sale...:P

Forsling gone

Etem gone

Vey gone

Larsen might as well be

Grandlund 9 points and -12

Prust gone

Eriksson over 1 million per goal 1/4 the way through the season

Vrbata gone for nothing

Hamhuis gone for nothing

The best prospects on the team, Hutton, Markstrom, Horvat are Gillis guys. Gillis didn't get the luxury of drafting in the bottom third of the league and he used what he had, added to it, stirred and played in a SCF within 3 years, Benning will be hunting the lottery for the next 5 years or so and if he can't do better than Gillis he should pay back some of his salary.

Hutton, Markstrom and Horvat are not prospects, they are players.  

Can you name any other prospects that Gillis brought into the organization that have worked out?

Gillis had a lot more to work with the JB. Gillis left the franchise a hollowed out mess from where it was in 2011. Gillis started out with the Sedins just before they peaked into the leagues best players,  Kesler just before he peaked into one of the leagues best two way guys.  Burrows just before he peaked, Edler just before he peaked, Beiksa just before he peaked. He inherited Luongo, Hansen and Schnieder. 

There is the old core.  Name me one or two equivalent players in the the roster emerging that compare to any of those that JB had to work with?  Horvat and maybe Hutton.  He has the aged and declining Twins, Kesler jumped ship, Hamhuis was washed up and had some horrible injuries, Bieksa was on the decline, Garrison... Lack was our starter.  Markstrom couldn't hold Luongo's or Schnieders cup for them yet.  

MG made some great signings, and had a few great trades to begin with then couldn't make a deal to save his life. 

But it he had the Luxury of already having an All star Goalie, a Selkie winner and two league MVP's. 

On 12/3/2016 at 1:30 PM, chickenman92 said:

I always chuckle a bit when people act like Gillis was terrible at drafting/identifying young players. The fact is, the Canucks best forward (Horvat), 2 best D (Hutton & Tanev) and best goalie (Markstrom) were all Gillis moves. 

Was he great at drafting, no. But I don't think he's as bad or Benning is as far ahead of Gillis as people like to think. 

None of those players started making an impact until after Gillis was gone.  Give it 3 years and then you can asses Benning's success on his first 3 drafts and signings.  Gillis got better at drafting as the years went on, but his first few drafts were not great.

5 hours ago, stuman491 said:

None of those players started making an impact until after Gillis was gone.  Give it 3 years and then you can asses Benning's success on his first 3 drafts and signings.  Gillis got better at drafting as the years went on, but his first few drafts were not great.

A parallel can be seen here, Gillis got the Nonis guys and Benning is getting the Gillis guys.

None of those guys except Tanev was around for Gillis to use and Horvat was his lowest pick of his entire term.

Doesn't matter now, Linden admitted to knowing the team needs a total rebuild, he just won't do it because it might hurt the Sedins feelings.

The big what if is we had Benning running things instead of Gillis. My money is he we would have avoided the goalie fiasco and have more in the cupboard prospect wise. Gillis walked into the peak years of the Sedins Kelser and Luongo...he did an ok job up until we lost the final and he started dismantling the best team in the NHL...

23 hours ago, Aircool said:

There is a HUGE difference between good hockey, with good puck movement, and putting shots on net... I wonder why they lost those games? It probably had nothing to do with not generating strong scoring chances with incisive passing, and instead settling for bad shots from the perimeter. I don't even remember those games and I'd wager that was the case... Shots don't matter, it's goals that matter... Shooting too much is a bad characteristic, it's why Erik Gudbranson is an anchor in the offensive zone... He gives away so much possession taking bad shots and missing the net.

The posts intention was to point out that the team generates offensive chances and is entertaining to watch.  Missing the net doesn't count as a shot btw...and even those can turn into something sometimes it's intentional.  I understand what you are pointing out for all our chances some night we could really use a trigger man but at least we often score by committee.  Again considering we haven't reached the bottom of this cycle things are not all that bad.  At least we don't have a bunch of nobodies and has beens like we did after Keenan was done with us.

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

At least we don't have a bunch of nobodies and has beens like we did after Keenan was done with us.

Huh?  Keenan was responsible for ALOT of carnage but he also left Burke with one-third of the West Coast Express (Bertuzzi).  

Not to mention the asset Bryan McCabe with Burke was able to get the 2nd Sedin with.

Also essentially acquired in that Linden trade was Jarkko Ruutu who gave us this:

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

The posts intention was to point out that the team generates offensive chances and is entertaining to watch.  Missing the net doesn't count as a shot btw...and even those can turn into something sometimes it's intentional.  I understand what you are pointing out for all our chances some night we could really use a trigger man but at least we often score by committee.  Again considering we haven't reached the bottom of this cycle things are not all that bad.  At least we don't have a bunch of nobodies and has beens like we did after Keenan was done with us.

I think it's entirely fair to say that we have a team with a bunch of "relative" nobodies... We have the most anemic offense in the NHL... I mean you can't really argue with that, that's just the truth. You say that we often score by committee, but you know what's better than that? Scoring often by committee... Which we definitely do not do. Our ability to move the puck is pathetic... Also, whether or not a puck is considered a shot on goal, a shot has still been taken, and Gudbranson just loves hitting the endboards.

16 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Huh?  Keenan was responsible for ALOT of carnage but he also left Burke with one-third of the West Coast Express (Bertuzzi).  

Not to mention the asset Bryan McCabe with Burke was able to get the 2nd Sedin with.

Also essentially acquired in that Linden trade was Jarkko Ruutu who gave us this:

Yes the Linden trade was arguably a top five all time trade for us ....do you remember Enrico Ciccone? Or when Gelinas was our only bright light as top scorer...Back up Bob...Felix Potvin...Irbe..Sean Burke....there was some pretty lame teams until the west coast express arrived.  

On 03/12/2016 at 10:11 AM, orcasgonewild said:

Hey everyone Sportsnet just came out with a new interview article with Trevor Linden. Here it is...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/trevor-linden-qa-canucks-go/

It's an all around piece about prospects management and today's game against the maple laughs. 

------------------------------------------------------------------

I know that the most biggest difference between 2011 and current is that we were contenders before but we may not be too far off. 

Best moves: 

Rebuilding our defence...

Bieksa garrison Erhoff hamhuis salo 

To 

Tanev Stecher Hutton gudbranson tryamkin 

Creating goalie depth

replacing Luongo Schneider and eventually Miller from the current roster

With...

Markstrom demko garteig 

Gillis vs benning era drafting

gillis: hodgson, sauve, rai, froshaug, clark, schroeder, rodin connauton cannata McNally Friesen gaunce Hutton horvat shinkaruk cassels subban cederholm 

Benning: Virtanen McCann demko Tryamkin forsling boeser brisbois zhukenov gaudette jasek Olson candella

(Quite the difference is high ceiling prospects)

Signings

Gillis: 

Richardson

Wellwood 

Hordichuk 

Johnson 

Demitra 

Baumgartner 

Rypien 

Sundin

Shirokov 

Samuelsson 

Glass 

malholtra 

sturm

Ebbett

Weise

Barker 

benning: 

Miller 

Vrbata

McMillan 

Bartowski

cracknell 

Eriksson 

Trades

Gillis acquired: 

Bernier

Labarbera 

Alberts

Ballard 

Oreskovich 

Higgins

Booth

Kassian

Benning: 

Granlund 

Sutter 

Gudbranson

Dorsett

Sbisa

Pedan

Baertschi

Prust

Etem

Larsen

SPECIAL NOTES/SUMMARY 

There might be tiny errors above but that's it. 

-*Most of gillis's success came from players they already had in the system*

-benning is clearly the better drafter

-benning didn't get a lot of great prospects from the previous era like Gillis did 

(Sedins kesler Edler Hansen ect) 

-benning is basically starting from scratch and we should be thankful he turned around our goaltending and defense so quickly.

-Benning has net out approach so he's gonna build out our forwards next.

BE HAPPY AND EXCITED CANUCKS FANS BECAUSE AT LEAST WE DIDNT TAKE 10 YEARS TO IMPROVE OUR TEAM.

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME!

YOU FORGOT EL TORO and YAPPY LAPPY!!!!::D

Archived