The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden Q&A (stetcher comments)

Off_The_Schneid!

What’s the best thing about Stecher? Fans love the guy.

I’ll tell you a story. I went to see him in February in North Dakota. After that meeting, I said, “That kid has an intensity about him that is real.” I said to him, “We’ll talk when you’re done. Go win a national championship.” Watching, watching, watching… they win. Right away we start the process of bringing him in. Got him signed. He finished school in May and wanted to train with our strength coach right away. I’d go down and check in on the guys every day. I kept seeing this bike down there. Finally I said to one of our equipment guys, “Whose bike is that?”

“What do you mean? That’s Troy Stecher’s bike.”

“He rides his bike here every day?”

He’s from Richmond. His sister lived at 41st and Oak. From [Rogers Arena] it’s probably a 20-minute drive. He lived with his sister. Didn’t have a car. He didn’t get his signing bonus till July 15, so he rode his bike [at least 30 minutes] here every day. Never missed a workout. That was his mode of transportation. First couple of days, he pushed himself so hard in the gym, he puked. The kind of kid that goes to the garbage can, pukes, and continues his workout.

The reason I say this is, the kid has been told his whole career he’s too small, can’t play. What you can’t measure is the competitiveness and determination. When you watch him play, he’s 5-foot-10 on a good day but he’s so competitive. He’s smart. On the right side of the puck. He can defend because he’s smart enough and he wins puck battles.

He was our best player in Penticton. Great. Then in preseason he was one of our top defencemen every night. Not fazed by the situation at all. Fun to watch and he drives offence. He pushes the pace. And he’s a likeable kid.

10 minutes ago, Green Building said:

What’s the best thing about Stecher? Fans love the guy.

I’ll tell you a story. I went to see him in February in North Dakota. After that meeting, I said, “That kid has an intensity about him that is real.” I said to him, “We’ll talk when you’re done. Go win a national championship.” Watching, watching, watching… they win. Right away we start the process of bringing him in. Got him signed. He finished school in May and wanted to train with our strength coach right away. I’d go down and check in on the guys every day. I kept seeing this bike down there. Finally I said to one of our equipment guys, “Whose bike is that?”

“What do you mean? That’s Troy Stecher’s bike.”

“He rides his bike here every day?”

He’s from Richmond. His sister lived at 41st and Oak. From [Rogers Arena] it’s probably a 20-minute drive. He lived with his sister. Didn’t have a car. He didn’t get his signing bonus till July 15, so he rode his bike [at least 30 minutes] here every day. Never missed a workout. That was his mode of transportation. First couple of days, he pushed himself so hard in the gym, he puked. The kind of kid that goes to the garbage can, pukes, and continues his workout.

The reason I say this is, the kid has been told his whole career he’s too small, can’t play. What you can’t measure is the competitiveness and determination. When you watch him play, he’s 5-foot-10 on a good day but he’s so competitive. He’s smart. On the right side of the puck. He can defend because he’s smart enough and he wins puck battles.

He was our best player in Penticton. Great. Then in preseason he was one of our top defencemen every night. Not fazed by the situation at all. Fun to watch and he drives offence. He pushes the pace. And he’s a likeable kid.

youtherealmvp.png

Lots of interesting tidbits! 

I spoke to Daniel last year, and he said he can’t go on swing sets with his kids anymore because it makes him feel sick. First thing I thought when I saw the hit was his concussion history.

This, from the interviewer. Made me sad :( 

Bo Horvat has been a good story. He’s in a contract year. What’s your theory on giving a guy who’s in his early-20s a lot of term?
You look at the kid, the maturity level. What’s his approach? What are his day-to-day work habits? Definitely, Bo is an important guy for us. We see him as a leader of this group as he continues to develop. He’s an impressive kid. You gotta make sure the internals are right before [you sign a long-term deal]. Certain guys can handle it; certain guys have trouble.

You think he might have trouble?
I’m not going to say.

Is this Linden just covering his butt? Seems by all accounts everyone loves and feels confident in Bo. Struck me as an odd question to give a non-answer to, especially after Benning has already said publicly they want to lock him up longterm.

Perhaps some fans look at Toronto’s rebuild. Very dramatic. Stripping things right down. Getting rid of its best players. There’s a theory out there that the Canucks fan doesn’t have the appetite for an aggressive teardown.
What people fail to realize is the older group of players we had here—the Garrisons and Keslers and Bieksas and Higgins and Hamhuises—which are no longer with us, these are good people. These are leaders. Perhaps in Toronto that wasn’t the case.

Shade :lol: Emphasis is mine

Is Jacob Markstrom your No. 1 goalie of the future?
We definitely feel he has a chance. The succession plan: Ryan [Miller] may be back next year. We’re not sure. He’s a free agent. Jacob, we feel can be a No. 1 goalie, and we got Demko in Utica. It depends on his development. Goaltenders take a little more time.

Another one with emphasis mine. I would love for Millsy to come back, I'm not sure he's lost a step yet. Still a bit surprising to hear they're considering it though. The CDC army wants Marky for sure, but I personally think he's still a bit too green.

52 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

I think I have officially transferred to stecher as my favorite player 

He's damn near the defenceman I'm most excited about. I'm torn between him and Tryamkin. Think of the pressure relief that will offer Juolevi when he gets here in a couple years should these young guys still be doing their thing.

I'd ride my bike every day all year if i didn't have 4 feet of snow for 6 months of the year and no bike lanes. Getting this kind of praise for utilizing an upper class privelage is kinda silly. A thirty minute bike ride to an aspiring pro hockey player is just a warm up.

9 minutes ago, Green Building said:

He's damn near the defenceman I'm most excited about. I'm torn between him and Tryamkin. Think of the pressure relief that will offer Juolevi when he gets here in a couple years should these young guys still be doing their thing.

Or adds pressure on Olli to perform. Could be a good thing though. Hopefully it will motivate not pressure him negatively 

1 minute ago, cuporbust said:

Or adds pressure on Olli to perform. Could be a good thing though. Hopefully it will motivate not pressure him negatively 

Yeah it could, I think fans would generally expect more of him if we were pitiful on defence when he shows up. As for how he would feel on the team? Who knows. 

8 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Yeah it could, I think fans would generally expect more of him if we were pitiful on defence when he shows up. As for how he would feel on the team? Who knows. 

Ya; guys like Hutton stecher and tryamkin have set the bar pretty high for rookie d men here. Same with Tanev. We have been sort of spoiled with these surprise studs 

Archived