The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden Q&A (stetcher comments)

Off_The_Schneid!

I know it's early but this kid is a foundational defenceman. Small but clever defensively, is winning puck battles and defensive plays and odd-man rushes against some of the best scorers in the NHL so far, is making clutch game-saving plays (tipped goal, tying goals, puck on the line stand tonight etc.) and can score and has a heavy shot. He is an all-round defenceman and similar to what we'll see out of Juolevi in a couple years time.

Lock him down long-term because this is the type of defenceman you build a young core and team around. You need good players who can play at all 3 zones, that's how the Blackhawks/Kings/Penguins cores are built. Toews, Kane, Keith and Seabrook can score and defend. Crosby, Malkin, Letang can do the same. Kopitar, Brown and Doughty are exactly the same. Good offensive forwards who can defend, and good solid defencemen who can score.

That's what we've got brewing now and we've had for a while with Horvat. We've got a glimpse of it too with Baertschi or Granlund (albeit not as offensively talented) and Boeser. We know Juolevi can do it all, and now we have Stecher who is proving he can do it.

He may not win a Norris trophy, he may, but he'll be the Canucks best defenceman in a years time if he already isn't.

4 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Stecher choose to ride his bike to work out even he could of taken the public transit to get to the Arena, which goes to show how much work he is willing to put forth to make himself a better player physically. Doing professional hockey work outs is not like hitting the gym every Friday night for some fun but it is intense training. The fact that Stecher was willing to bike to and from there for a total of an extra hour a day of physical work is impressive to me. Trolls like you will never understand.

Hey I bet I'm more aquatinted with intense physical training then you are. 

4 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

What a pointless comment.

It's real easy to say you'd ride to and from a grueling, NHL workout that made you puke but doing it's another thing all together.  Armchair workouts are easy to promise.   The ride to the rink might not be a big deal but riding home afterward?  Signs of absolute commitment and dedication.

To be negative about this is so mind boggling.  In this day and age of "privilege" and entitlement, to see a young guy finding a way to get it done is refreshing and is worthy of praise. I am baffled by a need to denounce it.  

Most would find reasons (excuses) to not show up.  Like....snow and a lack of bike lanes.

I, for one, want a kid like this on the team.....one who wants to play so bad he doesn't look for excuses when presented with obstacles.  Attitude and work ethic are HUGE components of success.  And this kind of heart and determination that we're seeing here reminds me of another favourite who also just found a way to make it here. 

Stecher's become an instant favourite and it's for a reason.  It all comes shining through in how he plays.

Threaten me for having an opinion thats that's not popular on the boards doesn't bother me.

Man this kids the real deal. But people need to lower their expectations of this guy. He will be an NHL player and probably top 4 but he's not completely proven yet. Look at Hutton who stood out last year and was a stud. This year Hutton is good but not as good as people psyched him up to be. Stetcher and Hutton are steals but they aren't proven top 4 guys yet. But damn Stetcher is fun to watch right now!

2 hours ago, IbanezRG said:

Threaten me for having an opinion thats that's not popular on the boards doesn't bother me.

Who threatened you little fellow? I didn't see that. I saw you say something stupid and obnoxious, obviously trolling, and you got a few bites, but what was the threat?

Taking my daughters to the Habs game in March...it will be our first Canucks game. Living on the island not as easy to catch a game....anyway they are just 9 and 11...and we watch alot of games together.  This year they are getting jerseys for the game. Ive already had my Horvat jersey since his rookie year but looks like one of my daughters want Stetcher now and the other is thinking about Tryamkin. I dont care what the eastern media says about our rebuild. Benning is clearly building from the backend out and this is what will seperate our rebuild from the Oilers and the Leafs. Just thinking about my tiny daughter wearing an 88 Tryamkin jersey makes me smile.

9 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Who threatened you little fellow? I didn't see that. I saw you say something stupid and obnoxious, obviously trolling, and you got a few bites, but what was the threat?

You need to look up what trolling actually is first of all, it was in my notifications. And sorry it's my opinion... actually I'm not sorry, its my thoughts, my free will, my freedom of expression and it was the first thing that came to my mind when I read the article. Gang up on me to change it and mods can threaten to ban me for it, doesn't matter in the end, I just don't find taking your bike to work in the summer to be worthy of praise. 

16 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

What a pointless comment.

It's real easy to say you'd ride to and from a grueling, NHL workout that made you puke but doing it's another thing all together.  Armchair workouts are easy to promise.   The ride to the rink might not be a big deal but riding home afterward?  Signs of absolute commitment and dedication.

To be negative about this is so mind boggling.  In this day and age of "privilege" and entitlement, to see a young guy finding a way to get it done is refreshing and is worthy of praise. I am baffled by a need to denounce it.  

Most would find reasons (excuses) to not show up.  Like....snow and a lack of bike lanes.

I, for one, want a kid like this on the team.....one who wants to play so bad he doesn't look for excuses when presented with obstacles.  Attitude and work ethic are HUGE components of success.  And this kind of heart and determination that we're seeing here reminds me of another favourite who also just found a way to make it here. 

Stecher's become an instant favourite and it's for a reason.  It all comes shining through in how he plays.

I live in Edmonton. My dad wouldn't buy me a bus pass.  I used to ride my bike to school all year round.  The only praise I got was from my P.E. coach on those minus 30 days.  He rode his bike also.  So to the guy who says the snow would stop you.....pansy.  Didn't stop me.

Good job for Stech to ride to work outs.  I am sure he could have asked people for rides also, but he CHOSE his bike.  That's character.

12 hours ago, IbanezRG said:

Are you kidding me?  Where is the threat?  Someone needs to pick up a dictionary....and read it.  OMG someone doesn't like my opinion and hurt my feelings.  Gosh people need a little thicker skin these days.  People are all starting to sound like entitled millenials.  Back in my day you either had to fight or get beat up.  Not use harsh words that made me want to cry.

Sticks and stones man.  Don't parents teach this anymore or are they to busy with the smart phones to raise their kids.  Gah look at me spouting like an old person.

1 hour ago, danjr said:

Are you kidding me?  Where is the threat?  Someone needs to pick up a dictionary....and read it.  OMG someone doesn't like my opinion and hurt my feelings.  Gosh people need a little thicker skin these days.  People are all starting to sound like entitled millenials.  Back in my day you either had to fight or get beat up.  Not use harsh words that made me want to cry.

Sticks and stones man.  Don't parents teach this anymore or are they to busy with the smart phones to raise their kids.  Gah look at me spouting like an old person.

Like I already stated genius, the "threat" was sent directly into my notifications, 

2 hours ago, danjr said:

I live in Edmonton. My dad wouldn't buy me a bus pass.  I used to ride my bike to school all year round.  The only praise I got was from my P.E. coach on those minus 30 days.  He rode his bike also.  So to the guy who says the snow would stop you.....pansy.  Didn't stop me.

Good job for Stech to ride to work outs.  I am sure he could have asked people for rides also, but he CHOSE his bike.  That's character.

so you were one of those guys riding in the curb lane in the middle of winter pissing everyone off and stressing them out because if they hit a patch of black ice they could easily kill you? You're right, that's an example of character, stupid, braindead, selfish character. 

I never had to bike to university because I saved up for a car in high school, which is also an example of character and disproves the incorrect millennial based assumptions you're making towards me.

Enough, having thoughts that aren't popular is not an example of trolling, obnoxiousness, whatever it is that I said that got you all so personally offended (and you're calling me a sensitive mellenial?) Stetcher is my favourite new Canuck, but him riding his bike (lol) is not why I like him or why he's in the NHL, I stand by my statement, backed up by my freedom, and in the words of Eric Guddbranson, I'm an honest guy and I stand by what I say,  you all shouldn't be so easily offended. 

Archived