The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden Q&A (stetcher comments)

Off_The_Schneid!

I know this thread is about Stecher but I don't think this quote is worthy of it's own thread.  

It's for all those who still don't understand what the Canucks are doing.  What the plan is.  Linden makes it fairly clear and it's pretty much what I and many others have been trying to explain to people.

"[Fox] So what does the next chapter look like?

[Linden] The veteran leadership, be it Daniel, Henrik or Alex Burrows, is certainly important to the growth and development of the Granlunds and Baertschis and Horvats and Virtanens and Stechers and Tryamkins and Huttons. Eighteen months ago we lost to the Calgary Flames in the playoffs. As disappointing as that was, we understood we had to keep transitioning, keep getting younger. We’ve done that. Maybe not as quick or as dramatic as people would like it to happen.

[Fox] Perhaps some fans look at Toronto’s rebuild. Very dramatic. Stripping things right down. Getting rid of its best players. There’s a theory out there that the Canucks fan doesn’t have the appetite for an aggressive teardown.

[Linden] What people fail to realize is the older group of players we had here—the Garrisons and Keslers and Bieksas and Higgins and Hamhuises—which are no longer with us, these are good people. These are leaders. Perhaps in Toronto that wasn’t the case.

We have Daniel and Henrik Sedin here, who are very important to this organization and icons in the city. They’re not going anywhere. I don’t know how I walk into the room and tell these guys, “Strip it down.” I’m not sure it’s fair to these guys. There’s different circumstances, be it in Toronto or Carolina or Vancouver, that require different routes. It’s not perfect, but I’m encouraged by the young players we’ve introduced, and we’ve got some young prospects.

[Fox] Which prospects excite you?

[Linden] I’m excited about Brock Boeser. Olli Juolevi. Thatcher Demko. Adam Gaudette at Northeastern is having a good year. Will Lockwood is an encouraging young player having a great year at Michigan. Guillaume Brisebois is at Canada’s evaluation camp for world juniors. The challenge we had, drafting in ’14, we knew where we were void in our prospect pool and that 20-25 age group. We’re trying to build that group up. Acquiring Markus Granlund, Sven Baertschi, that young-ish group. Adding a first-round pick in the Kesler trade, etc., etc. There are good players in our system but they’re young. Still in college. There’s no quick fixes."

To summarize:

• Canuck situation is unique (not the same as Toronto)
  • Strong veteran leaders who aren't really tradeable anyways due to cap constraints of other teams and NTC's
  • Void in prospect pool of players in 20-25 age group (in 2014.....today that would be 22-27 which represents draft years 2005-2011)
  • No quick fixes.  We have to wait for prospects to mature.

It's time for Markstrom now not sure why they're waiting at all. Markstrom should be getting around half the starts I'm pretty disappointed about this so far this season. My guess is that Miller wasn't happy with the 50/50 split last season and told management.

Markstrom has been solid even though he can't get into any groove playing so sporadically and has a good win loss record the team seems to feel good with him having their backs. Miller's making too much money that could be used elsewhere and likely could get us a 2nd round draft pick it's a no brainer to trade him at the deadline at latest.

22 hours ago, IbanezRG said:

Millers still a solid goalie and a number 1 on a contender with solid defense... I'm sure he knows that too and he's still fairly on top of his game. Something tells me he'll of had enough of playing behind a rebuilding team after this year and sign with a competitive team.

A number one goalie would likely have the mindset that he can BE the guy to take a team there, not be looking for a team to take him there.  I'm not sure you're clear on how a true competitor thinks.

15 hours ago, IbanezRG said:

Threaten me for having an opinion thats that's not popular on the boards doesn't bother me.

Gang up on me to change it and mods can threaten to ban me for it, doesn't matter in the end, I just don't find taking your bike to work in the summer to be worthy of praise. 

Haha, where did I threaten you?  Now you're just making stuff up. 

And add to your last line:  I just don't find taking your bike to (and from) work in the summer (when there's so much other fun stuff going on) ... after riding there AND then taking part in a professional level practice that makes you puke to climb back on that bike, not once, but regularly and then ride back home.

Keep it all in context and fight the urge to stop partway because it works with your (negative) idea and you may start to understand why some of us are ganging up on you disagreeing with what you're saying.  And questioning the need to even say it?

56 minutes ago, IbanezRG said:

so you were one of those guys riding in the curb lane in the middle of winter pissing everyone off and stressing them out because if they hit a patch of black ice they could easily kill you? You're right, that's an example of character, stupid, braindead, selfish character. 

I never had to bike to university because I saved up for a car in high school, which is also an example of character and disproves the incorrect millennial based assumptions you're making towards me.

Enough, having thoughts that aren't popular is not an example of trolling, obnoxiousness, whatever it is that I said that got you all so personally offended (and you're calling me a sensitive mellenial?) Stetcher is my favourite new Canuck, but him riding his bike (lol) is not why I like him or why he's in the NHL, I stand by my statement, backed up by my freedom, and in the words of Eric Guddbranson, I'm an honest guy and I stand by what I say,  you all shouldn't be so easily offended. 

I live in the lower mainland and lots of people ride their bikes to work.  It has nothing to do with social class.  For people who can't afford cars and are fit enough, it is a better option than transit.  But I would suggest that many environmentally conscious people prefer peddle power.  It's a bit of a movement here and it crosses class boundaries.  The Mayor of Vancouver doesn't own a car and he bikes to work every day which is why we are seeing far too many bike lanes to the detriment of commerce but I digress.

The author makes it sound like 41/Oak to downtown is a long way (6 kms).  It is not.  In fact, a cyclist would usually make that commute in less time than a car would.  It's a great option especially in the good weather (hockey off season).  In Vancouver, if you don't mind riding in the rain, it is a year round option.  Recently, I had been living near Lougheed Mall which is about 18 kms from downtown.  I often passed a particular cyclist in the morning and various points along the way to downtown but we usually would complete the commute in about the same time (45 mins).

I don't begrudge your opinion but obviously, you don't live in Vancouver, or maybe you did a few years ago.  Things have changed.  In any case, I expect that Stecher was using the bike as a warm up which would probably take a fit guy about 15 minutes because it is down hill all the way.  It's faster than the bus by far and since he may not have had money for a car at the time he rode his bike.

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Stecher's a throwback to old school hockey values. Reminds me of Ronning always the hardest skater even in practice.

And hard nosed like Smyl regardless of any size mismatches.

Keep it up Stech good on ya kid!

I almost added the same thoughts on the Ronning flashbacks.  And I like the Steamer hard nosed thing too.

1 hour ago, IbanezRG said:

Like I already stated genius, the "threat" was sent directly into my notifications, 

This is now getting personal.  sent you a threat in a pm?  I'd like a response, as this is fabricated and WILL result in a pm.  And in the event someone else did, there is a report button to quickly address it (as it isn't tolerated here).  So you now need to provide details and may do so behind the scenes if preferred.

1 hour ago, IbanezRG said:

so you were one of those guys riding in the curb lane in the middle of winter pissing everyone off and stressing them out because if they hit a patch of black ice they could easily kill you?

I ride a bike, for fitness purposes.  And here's the drill....if you hit a patch of black ice, hopefully you're not one of those guys going too fast in the conditions to contend with it without it being disastrous.  Going off topic, so we'll leave it here as you go dig out a threat from me.  I am waiting.

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

This is now getting personal.  sent you a threat in a pm?  I'd like a response, as this is fabricated and WILL result in a pm.  And in the event someone else did, there is a report button to quickly address it (as it isn't tolerated here).  So you now need to provide details and may do so behind the scenes if preferred.

I ride a bike, for fitness purposes.  And here's the drill....if you hit a patch of black ice, hopefully you're not one of those guys going too fast in the conditions to contend with it without it being disastrous.  Going off topic, so we'll leave it here as you go dig out a threat from me.  I am waiting.

Ill Pm you too keep this from going overboard it was sent via a notification, it's possible I didn't understand the meaning of it.

Archived