The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Article - Leafs' reno on pace, while Canucks lagging behind

CanadianRugby

7 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It does annoy me how the Laughs were able to land Matthews. Strip mining their team in the clearest case of "tanking" I have ever seen.

Honestly, I feel like they should have been stripped of their first round pick that year for that BS, or at the very least being made ineligible for a lottery one of the top picks.

Disgusting.

I can't say for sure what I am about to say is true, but I know it to be true. 

TO can tamper, tank in the face if the league, get rewarded for trying to lose and anything else you can think of and Bettman and the media will fluff them for it. 

If the nucks were to have done the same and somehow had managed to 'win' the lotto, the league would have stepped in and penalized the club. 

For my evidence, the 'Loungo Rule' added into the collective agreement by the president and GM if the Leafs.   

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I’m happy that the leafs and their fans feel good about themselves.

Winning early season games doesn’t guarantee a Stanley Cup.

Go ahead and enjoy your TSN power rankings in October and November.

It will be long forgetten when May rolls.around.

Sorry Laff lovers but you’re not going to win when it counts with that defence and goal tending. Better make some trades or it’s just going to be a nice year for individual stats.

17 hours ago, oldnews said:

17 goals, 29 points Brock Boeser.

13 goals, 26 points Austin Matthews

5 goals 21 points Willie Nylander.

10 goals 20 points Bo Horvat

2 goals, 20 points Mitch Marner.

11 goals, 35 SweHL points Elias Pettersson

More relevant comparisons:

Nylander     95 career points

Virtanen      21 career points

Tkachuk      67 career points

Juolevi         0  career points

Points since this thread was started:

Toronto       136

Vancouver  103

Current standings:

Toronto        10th

Vancouver   23rd

5 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

More relevant comparisons:

Nylander     95 career points

Virtanen      21 career points

Tkachuk      67 career points

Juolevi         0  career points

Points since this thread was started:

Toronto       136

Vancouver  103

Current standings:

Toronto        10th

Vancouver   23rd

Comparing MT and OJ is moot at this point - lets wait 2-3 years. Objectively speaking the Gaffs are a couple of years ahead of the Nux in the cycle.

It’s all about the playoffs CR. Let’s see what happens...in 2-3 years.

17 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Comparing MT and OJ is moot at this point - lets wait 2-3 years. Objectively speaking the Gaffs are a couple of years ahead of the Nux in the cycle.

It’s all about the playoffs CR. Let’s see what happens...in 2-3 years.

Yup as they should be, so I don't understand why people are arguing against it.  

Tkachuk is a good comparison to OJ as they were drafted the same year and a lot of fans thought we should have drafted Tkachuk.  Better comparison than what I was responding to anyways.  

At the end of the day, rebuilding a team means you should be improving your team at a quicker pace than your rivals. That often means trading for extra picks in conjunction with having a higher draft position so you don't need as many draft years to rebuild the prospect pool. 

let's get some more picks into this draft.

On 12/16/2017 at 6:59 PM, CanadianRugby said:

CanadianRugby

• Canucks Regular
  •  
  • CanadianRugby
  • Members
  • 2,239 posts

This team is building a great supporting cast, but missed the part where they were supposed to draft a superstar or two.  Benning will build a team that can compete for the playoffs, but not one that can win the Cup.  The Toronto's and Edmonton's are going to be whooping teams like us for years to come. 

I am a realist not a dreamer....

If I was a dreamer I would think that Boeser, Demko and others will win us a Cup. 

I can see why you'd like to avoid the comparisons of those three forwards - you've been so busy hard selling the idea that the Canucks had nothing but supporting cast, while ironically prophesizing a Leafs dynasty (as if those three shiny forwards = repeated Cup core) that it must pain you to watch Boeser lighting up the NHL and Pettersson doing things in the SEL that players his age simply don't.  

We won't get into your comments about the Coilers, as you and the believers in the infallibility of the tank clearly know that a few elite players = necessary Cup contenders.... 

Good job fluffing Nylander and Marner though - it's all downhill for them on the way to their multiple Cups.

Leafs squeak into the playoffs by 1 pt = rebuild is finished.  Time to rent Brian Boyle's!  Who needs those 2nd round picks when you're already a dynasty in the making?

16 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Better comparison than what I was responding to anyways.  

SMH.  

CR - the guy that likes to cite how many draft picks in the Benning era have made the NHL as if evidence of marginal drafting success.

Irony - the Leafs have four NHLers they've drafted in the past four years that have played NHL games - three top 10 picks - Matthews, Nylander, Marner, and Valiev. 

Benning drafted four NHLers in his first draft here. 

Boeser is his 5th.

In addition, there is Demko, Pettersson, Juolevi, Gaudette, Gadjovich, Lind..... at least 3 or 4 more NHL assets in that group.

And then there is the genius of the Laffs rebuild.

The rebuild is done!

But oops, there's that 9.7 million of dead cap, including a 5.4 million cap penalty for overage in 2016/17.....hmmm....that can kinda get in the way of a 'contender'.

Just do it like the Leafs.

Archived