The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Article - Leafs' reno on pace, while Canucks lagging behind

CanadianRugby

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Who do the Leafs have for D prospects?  They have Reilly, and that's it.  The rest are crapolla.  Plus, their goaltending is poor; it's crapolla too.  The Leafs are where the Coilers were when they were getting all those forwards, but not getting the D, or goaltending.  Yes, skilled forwards are fun to watch, but it's D that wins.  

LEAFS ARE CRAPOLLA. :lol:

The Penguins just won the cup with Letang and a bunch of nobodies. I am sure you would have called their D crapolla too. The thing is, Mike Sullivan did an excellent job of implementing a strong defensive system to maximize their D's ability to move the puck quick to all the skilled forwards.

Point being is that there is multiple ways to win a cup. Building from the back end is one, but building up front can work as well.

Just now, GoBoGo53 said:

The Penguins just won the cup with Letang and a bunch of nobodies. I am sure you would have called their D crapolla too.

Point being is that there is multiple ways to win a cup. Building from the back end is one, but building up front can work as well.

Not for the Leafs.  No method will work for them, because THEY SUCK.  Marner sucks...Matthews sucks.  Seriously, how can you like anything about Toronto?  That's really dirty:(

20 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

I swear the Leafs have been re-building for the better part of 10 years. 

You are correct.  It started before Burke came in with his five year plan and we all know how that went.  Tag on at least ten years to our rebuild and then we can compare notes.

5 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Calgary and TO basically rode their stars until the wheels fell off the thing. Now we are.

We are emulating their past as our present.

We have our Monahan and a prospect goalie. We hope two prospects turn out in Olli and Brock, plus this years tank showing.

I really don't care to be "rebuilding" for a decade, as you allude to here, but we appear to be trending there. I'd rather we had blown in up in 2013. Today works too.

Rip off the Band-Aid!

Firstly, I don't allude to the Canucks as rebuilding for a decade, that's what TO did.  

Burke tried to go out and hit a home run with a big splashy deal or two that did not pan out. He gave up a 2nd OA and a 7th OA plus a second or two for Kessel. 

Dont see the similarities between the Burke rebuild in Toronto to what Benning is doing. Yes we have signed some free agents of note, and we did trade away some second round picks, but not for aging vets. 

we have not only hung onto our top picks, but added one. We traded away Kesler, Garrison and KB3. Yes we let Vrbrata walk, not much choice there and Hamhuis could have been dealt with sooner.  JB can trade vets this year. We now have the youngest defence in the entire league, and it's not bad.  Better than what TO has and they have been doing their rebuild for a lot longer. 

Yea Mathews would be nice, nicer than Joulevi.  But look at what that org has been thru in the last ten years, there best pick prior to 2014 was Kadri. 

Of course what gets lost in this is that the leafs have been one of the worst teams in the league over the past decade (28th I believe) and we are top 10 in terms of wins.   We've been better for longer and will in the end be bad for a shorter period than the leafs have been.  Remember too over that decade we had the Hawks, Kings and Ducks, and Jose to contend with.  We can already see some good signs with a number of players.    For example Horvat.   Look at the oiler or leafs, outside of McDavid is there any other player on either of those teams who you would take over Horvat?   Horvat is exceeding expectations big time.  

If the Canucks miss the playoffs 10 out of the next 11 years, maybe, just maybe they can be like the Maple Leafs are this season.

In two or three seasons (e.g. 2018/2019 or 2019/2020 seasons), and given that Benning is now turning his attention towards the forward position, the Canucks will be better than the Leafs. Book it.

2 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Firstly, I don't allude to the Canucks as rebuilding for a decade, that's what TO did.  

Burke tried to go out and hit a home run with a big splashy deal or two that did not pan out. He gave up a 2nd OA and a 7th OA plus a second or two for Kessel. 

Dont see the similarities between the Burke rebuild in Toronto to what Benning is doing. Yes we have signed some free agents of note, and we did trade away some second round picks, but not for aging vets. 

we have not only hung onto our top picks, but added one. We traded away Kesler, Garrison and KB3. Yes we let Vrbrata walk, not much choice there and Hamhuis could have been dealt with sooner.  JB can trade vets this year. We now have the youngest defence in the entire league, and it's not bad.  Better than what TO has and they have been doing their rebuild for a lot longer. 

Yea Mathews would be nice, nicer than Joulevi.  But look at what that org has been thru in the last ten years, there best pick prior to 2014 was Kadri. 

I'm sorry, I was building on something you pointed out in passing. I share your views here.

Seriously the Leafs are ahead of the Canucks in terms of the rebuild? Get outta here.. Canucks are building from the net out while the Laffs are doing the complete opposite. Look at their defensive prospects compared to theirs.... We have Tryamkin, Juolevi, Neill, Olsen, Brisebois and few more in there as well and Hutton and Guddy are so young yet they've been our veteran presence on the backend alongside Sbisa, Edler, Tanev. They have Reilly, Zaitsev. Then the rest is crap. They may have dynamic forwards but some of our forwards will be darn better than theirs. Boeser, Gaudette, Lockwood, Zhukenov, Virtanen, Abols, Rodin, Gaunce, Horvat is better than #1 overall who could be bust, Marner, Nylander...  And zero defence depth. We'll be competing for the cup before they do that's for sure

On December 4, 2016 at 6:39 PM, LaBamba said:

They spent 7 doing what we are doing now. Get use to it. 

Need to go deeper than "TSN 1040 level analysis" to get a real picture because the two situations are totally different. The Leaf teams were full of vets and short on youth. Without Edler, the Canucks have the youngest D core in the league. If the Canucks get lucky and are able to draft Gabriel Vilardi in 2017 and then trade pieces at the deadline (which might not happen) to add an offensive forward, then they are well on their way. Canucks are going to do in four or five years what the Leafs did in twelve to fourteen years.

8 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Detroit wouldn't have rushed JV and McCann into the lineup, they might have even sent Horvat pack to Jr. The reason why we aren't Detroit is because we don't put player development ahead of winning like Detroit does. They use an apprentice program. We use a fill immediate need program. We needed "size" in the Lineup at the expense of JV's developmental needs. 

While it's easy to assume what Detroit "might have done" in our case, that's all it is: an assumption. We're in a very different situation than Detroit has been. Unlike Detroit, we have an age gap that we've been trying to fill. Unlike Detroit, we haven't had many great drafting years over the past 10 years. Unlike Detroit, we don't have the luxury of being able to at least not be anxious to bring our young, recently drafted, talent up.

Not only that, but Detroit's also had a winning record while having great drafts, so to say Detroit wouldn't have rushed on JV in our situation? I'd say that's pushing things a little because we don't know what they would have done in our situation. It's easy to want to think that but, no matter what, it's simply nothing you can really base things on as it never happened.

Not only that, but let's not forget that the Aquilinis put more money into our player development than Detroit does, so what little evidence we have really goes against what you've said in the end.

13 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Need to go deeper than "TSN 1040 level analysis" to get a real picture because the two situations are totally different. The Leaf teams were full of vets and short on youth. Without Edler, the Canucks have the youngest D core in the league. If the Canucks get lucky and are able to draft Gabriel Vilardi in 2017 and then trade pieces at the deadline (which might not happen) to add an offensive forward, then they are well on their way. Canucks are going to do in four or five years what the Leafs did in twelve to fourteen years.

Stop complicating things. Both teams tried to make major changes while staying competitive. The individual moves are irrelevant. The style and methodology are similar. The leafs are only a more extreme case. 

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

While it's easy to assume what Detroit "might have done" in our case, that's all it is: an assumption. We're in a very different situation than Detroit has been. Unlike Detroit, we have an age gap that we've been trying to fill. Unlike Detroit, we haven't had many great drafting years over the past 10 years. Unlike Detroit, we don't have the luxury of being able to at least not be anxious to bring our young, recently drafted, talent up.

Not only that, but Detroit's also had a winning record while having great drafts, so to say Detroit wouldn't have rushed on JV in our situation? I'd say that's pushing things a little because we don't know what they would have done in our situation. It's easy to want to think that but, no matter what, it's simply nothing you can really base things on as it never happened.

Not only that, but let's not forget that the Aquilinis put more money into our player development than Detroit does, so the evidence really goes against what you've said in the end.

Ya I know, that's what I'm trying to say. We are nothing like Detroit. 

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Which is why the other person brought up trying to become like Detroit. ;)

Detroit isn't even like Detroit anymore. I'm growing tired of these dated examples. They haven't won a cup in 10 years. They are completely irrelevant. 

11 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Stop complicating things. Both teams tried to make major changes while staying competitive. The individual moves are irrelevant. The style and methodology are similar. The leafs are only a more extreme case. 

If by complicating things you mean contributing facts then I agree...question mark.

OK, let me try it your way, individual moves are relevant and therefore the style and methodology are not similar. Thankfully the current Canucks are nothing like the Leafs of the last 13 years. You're right that is easier. Peace bro.

2 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

If by complicating things you mean contributing facts then I agree...question mark.

OK, let me try it your way, individual moves are relevant and therefore the style and methodology are not similar. Thankfully the current Canucks are nothing like the Leafs of the last 13 years. You're right that is easier. Peace bro.

Not yet but looking back at their failures can be a sneak peak into our future. 

1 hour ago, Beary Sweet said:

Seriously the Leafs are ahead of the Canucks in terms of the rebuild? Get outta here.. Canucks are building from the net out while the Laffs are doing the complete opposite. Look at their defensive prospects compared to theirs.... We have Tryamkin, Juolevi, Neill, Olsen, Brisebois and few more in there as well and Hutton and Guddy are so young yet they've been our veteran presence on the backend alongside Sbisa, Edler, Tanev. They have Reilly, Zaitsev. Then the rest is crap. They may have dynamic forwards but some of our forwards will be darn better than theirs. Boeser, Gaudette, Lockwood, Zhukenov, Virtanen, Abols, Rodin, Gaunce, Horvat is better than #1 overall who could be bust, Marner, Nylander...  And zero defence depth. We'll be competing for the cup before they do that's for sure

A lot of those guys you mentioned probably won't make it to the big screen. I hope you are not one of those that figures that all Bennings picks makes it to the NHL. 

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

Detroit isn't even like Detroit anymore. I'm growing tired of these dated examples. They haven't won a cup in 10 years. They are completely irrelevant. 

Because 10 years is soooooooo last decade, huh? :rolleyes:

The Detroit model is quite relevant. That's the entire point people are making. The fact is, they won a cup as you just pointed out. In fact, they won more than one if you consider the late 90's and early 2000's. It's a model that worked for longer than "merely 10 years ago". But, you know, it's evidence against what you're saying so it must be "irrelevant". ;)

Stomping your feet saying "they're not relevant because I said so!" won't really change that. Just saying.... lol

Archived