The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dorsett to undergo neck surgery; out for the rest of the season

cuporbust

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

With the type of game Dorsett plays (fast, physical grinder who fights occasionally), my guess is his days in the NHL are done. Unfortunate, as I like Dorsett.

I say we rehab the guy, and then he's trade fodder at the 2018 TDL.  

3 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I work in med tech and its actually not that bad recovery-wise but carries some risks. Its a bit freaky as they need to go in from the front via the throat and then back to the spine (worth a google if you want to see how its done). He's probably experiencing a great deal of nerve of pain that will get relieved right away. But I would think he is done for the year as he won't be allowed to do anything for a couple of months. 

Ya, I figured anytime you're dealing with the neck it's scary. They make you sign a waiver for a spinal tap in case of paralysis, I imagine the neck is that much more risky. He should seriously take his time coming back, and in all honesty probably re-evaluate how he plays. 

1 minute ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Ya, I figured anytime you're dealing with the neck it's scary. They make you sign a waiver for a spinal tap in case of paralysis, I imagine the neck is that much more risky. He should seriously take his time coming back, and in all honesty probably re-evaluate how he plays. 

I can't see JB pushing for him to come back this year. But you never know, if its something like a small bone area pushing on a nerve, then its not that severe. If its a disk regeneration procedure then thats a whole different animal.  Either way gotta wish the guy luck.

this is really rough news for Dorsett. I would be hesitant to be the type of player he is after this type of surgery.

wish you a speedy recovery dors!! you have been a true gamer and a wonderful example of what a canuck is.  heart of a lion!

1 minute ago, Silky mitts said:

labate time?

Speedy recovery to derek guys a gamer

I'd like to see Labate get an extended look. He looked unreal in the preseason. Let's see what the kid can do. He's perfect for a 4th line role IMO. 

Man...the injury bug is really biting us again this year. It gives other guys a chance to play, which is good for a rebuilding team, but it's still frustrating at the same time. 

Once we get Tanev and Hansen back, we'll be much better off.

42 minutes ago, logic said:

Sounds like it could be a season ender :/

I really like what the guy brings to the table even if he is a bit pricey. Hope surgery goes well! 

Interesting tho it does open a spot for a young guy to take a run.

38 minutes ago, Davathor said:

Damn. That's a tough surgery for a physical guy like him. Get better soon Dorsett.

I had the same thoughts. This is surgery to a disc -- in other words spinal column surgery. Obviously we don't know how invasive the surgery will be but recovery time is probably measured in months -- maybe 2 months, maybe 3 months. As @Davathor says, that is particularly bad for a guy who plays a physical game. Dorsett could be "normal" in 5 or 6 weeks -- able to go about normal life without problems. But the timeline for crashing into other players at high speed is a lot longer, and he may never be able to resume that style of play. (Kind of like Edler, who missed half a season with back surgery and has to be cautious with physical play.)

Would not be a surprise if he is gone for the season. He is certainly gone for a substantial period.

41 minutes ago, CeeBee51 said:

Really need a type of forward that will step and answer the bell in Dorsett's absence. Either internal or external but can't have Gudbranson as the only guy willing to drop em. 

I agree there is no way Guddy can be a designated fighter. Not sure we need a designated fighter but, if we did, obviously that person needs to a foward. But in today's NHL, what you needs are guys who play a physical game and are decent players in other respects as well. I don't think any of Chaput, Skille or Megna has really established himself as a solid NHL player yet. Frankly, I would say the same for Gaunce. Those guys are all pretty much classic "replacement" players -- guys who are on the margin between the NHL and the AHL. They can play at the NHL level without hurting the team but are no better than a lot of other guys who could replace them.

Dorsett was better than that, so losing him hurts.

42 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I know this sounds horrible but I know 95% of you are thinking the same thing deep inside the darkest corner of your brain. 

I prefer his replacements.

His job is suppose to be held by a young guy with upside trying to make a name for himself in the league. I'd much sooner have a guy like Megna, LaBate or Chapoopie in the Lineup with potential in their game rather than what you see is what you Dorsett. 

Take me your time, we don't need you. 

image.jpeg

40 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I know this sounds horrible but I know 95% of you are thinking the same thing deep inside the darkest corner of your brain. 

His job is suppose to be held by a young guy with upside trying to make a name for himself in the league. I'd much sooner have a guy like Megna, LaBate or Chapoopie in the Lineup with potential in their game rather than what you see is what you Dorsett. 

95% of us? I doubt it.

In fact I don't see how anyone could think Labate or Chaput are better than Dorsett.. they have been completely ineffective - even at forechecking. Megna has been alright but I would still rather have Dorsett.. 

you guys hate on Dorsett cause he's getting the big $$$; but overvalued does not mean that rookie grinders that haven't even played a season in the NHL are better than him

1 minute ago, 'NucK™ said:

95% of us? I doubt it.

In fact I don't see how anyone could think Labate or Chaput are better than Dorsett.. they have been completely ineffective - even at forechecking. Megna has been alright but I would still rather have Dorsett.. 

you guys hate on Dorsett cause he's getting the big $$$; but overvalued does not mean that rookie grinders that haven't even played a season in the NHL are better than him

Does JV come back sooner now?

12 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I'd like to see Labate get an extended look. He looked unreal in the preseason. Let's see what the kid can do. He's perfect for a 4th line role IMO. 

Man...the injury bug is really biting us again this year. It gives other guys a chance to play, which is good for a rebuilding team, but it's still frustrating at the same time. 

Once we get Tanev and Hansen back, we'll be much better off.

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Labate just got his chance. He deserves it too after the training camp he had. 

Put him in and see what he can do. 

Just speaks to how ineffective he was when he's already played 3 games this season yet everyone is still talking about his training camp..

I mean you can't blame the guy with WD giving players 3-5 minutes a game (:picard:), but I'm assuming the coaches have their reasons for giving Dorsett actual playing time

45 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I can comfortably and wholeheartedly say you could not be more wrong.

Wishing you a speedy and full recovery Dors, lord knows we desperately need what you bring to the table in our forward group.

Just now, 'NucK™ said:

Just speaks to how ineffective he was when he's already played 3 games this season yet everyone is still talking about his training camp... it's a different beast boys

Right because every young player hits the ground running.

He needs more than 3 games to get into a groove. It's not like Dorsett is effective every night.

At least we have replacement options for players like Dorsett, We don't have replacement options if any scorers go down right now.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Right because every young player hits the ground running.

He needs more than 3 games to get into a groove. It's not like Dorsett is effective every night.

At least we have replacement options for players like Dorsett, We don't have replacement options if any scorers go down right now.

WD is not going to give him more than 5 minutes a game though so kinda crazy to expect him to replace Dorsett

50 minutes ago, apollo said:

You gotta be kidding me... what a garbage response.

The guy is an absolute gamer, puts it all on the line for the team you "Claim" to cheer for... which I doubt you do based on all your garbage negative posts... and that's what you say? When he's going through a major surgery. 

Absolute garbage. If you don't like his contract blame our GM or the Agent... but to say oh well when his career could even be in jeopardy?

---------

This is terrible news. We'll certainly miss his presence. Really hope he makes a full recovery, whenever that may be. 

Look, you can play the emotional card all you want, but he's not a player that matters that much either way if he's playing or not. I hope he recovers and plays out the rest of his hockey career also, but it's not the end of the world that he's not playing for the Canucks right now.

8 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Just speaks to how ineffective he was when he's already played 3 games this season yet everyone is still talking about his training camp..

I mean you can't blame the guy with WD giving players 3-5 minutes a game (:picard:), but I'm assuming the coaches have their reasons for giving Dorsett actual playing time

I agree that he didn't stand out in his recent call up but I would still like to see him get an extended look. IMO he is the closest thing we have to a Dorsett replacement and I don't think we've seen nearly enough of him to come to any kind of conclusion. 

The only other alternative I can think of would be Grenier and come to think of it, he probably deserves it more. Plus this is probably his last chance at proving he can be an NHL player. So maybe go with Grenier?

Archived