The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dorsett to undergo neck surgery; out for the rest of the season

cuporbust

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

I know this sounds horrible but I know 95% of you are thinking the same thing deep inside the darkest corner of your brain. 

I prefer his replacements.

His job is suppose to be held by a young guy with upside trying to make a name for himself in the league. I'd much sooner have a guy like Megna, LaBate or Chapoopie in the Lineup with potential in their game rather than what you see is what you Dorsett. 

Take me your time, we don't need you. 

labamba take your time we dont need you 

9 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Guy has an injury that was clearly going to be problematic down the road, team knew about it, signed him to long-term deal.

Pretty sure we've already gotten two seasons out of him and he should make a full recovery for next season. If his injury was holding him back, it sure wasn't showing.

This just opened up 2.5 mil in cap space for us this season if they wanted to do a cap dump for picks trade at the deadline. Given what the outcome of this season looks like, this is probably a good scenario for us.

5 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Perhaps being in the minors isn't helping Grenier to a certain extent, because when he's there, he is actually expected to produce for Utica at a top 6 (even top 3) guy; and he isn't the one out there being a physical presence or standing up for his teammates.  If he's never given the chance in Vancouver, when exactly is he going to learn how to do that? 

Labate's a bit if a different situation, as he's never scored at any significant level of hockey, so he probably knew his role, or what would be the only role he could perform, years ago when he was likely even still in college.

Completely agree. He's basically their top scorer. If you want him to learn in the AHL what you want him to do in the NHL, you're going to need more help in Utica first.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

With the type of game Dorsett plays (fast, physical grinder who fights occasionally), my guess is his days in the NHL are done. Unfortunate, as I like Dorsett.

Did you miss the part where they said they expect a complete recovery and a return to play?  Maybe not this season but I think that there is a high probability that he will be back next season.  We need players like him.  And I think that coaching and management want him back too.  Yes, we need some goal-scoring wingers too but he is a good 4th liner and I want him back.  We need some grit in our forwards and it's not like he can't keep up with play.  Get well soon Derek!  GCG!

19 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The problem is we're in tough to win most nights even when our team is fresh. 

Playing 36 year old players 22-25 minutes every night is not a recipe for success over the course of a season. The fourth line needs to munch minutes in order to keep the rest of the guys fresh.

If he doesn't trust the fourth line, make a change. Don't keep playing them 5-6 minutes a night and wonder why the rest of the team looks more tired than the other team.

I don't disagree with this. I think our 4th line lately has actually been reliable enough to take on a few more shifts. 

Just now, nux_win said:

Did you miss the part where they said they expect a complete recovery and a return to play?  Maybe not this season but I think that there is a high probability that he will be back next season.  We need players like him.  And I think that coaching and management want him back too.  Yes, we need some goal-scoring wingers too but he is a good 4th liner and I want him back.  We need some grit in our forwards and it's not like he can't keep up with play.  Get well soon Derek!  GCG!

Mas long as Desjardins uses him as a 4th line winger not a substitute for the scoring winger we don't have. A tall order for Desjardins it seems.

6 minutes ago, jovocop55 said:

that sucks.. he and horvat are the only guys that play 100% in most games...

The team needs Hansen more than ever.

His play is contagious to the rest of the team. They've really missed his leadership on and off the ice.

I don't think there's anything wrong with admitting that Dorsett's injury isn't really that detrimental to the team. If anything, it's being honest. Some of you act like he's reading this forum...

I just hope that this paves a path for a young up-and-comer like Gaunce. I don't think we should be wasting our time with players like Chaput and Labate although I acknowledge that we don't really have a choice at this point. 

8 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Mas long as Desjardins uses him as a 4th line winger not a substitute for the scoring winger we don't have. A tall order for Desjardins it seems.

I don't think that anybody, including Willie, is confusing Dorsett with an actual goal-scorer.  Despite the fact that CDC loves to, it is unfair to blame Willie for the lack of scoring wingers on the team.  He has to work with what he has.  And if he makes choices different than what us amateurs think, well that's his perogative.  GCG!

2 minutes ago, karvalegov said:

No I don't believe they were but they must have someone to expose , is there someone else that fits the requirements ?

I think, as it was, one of Baertschi or Granlund were going to be exposed, so it probably won't be an issue.

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

This just opened up 2.5 mil in cap space for us this season if they wanted to do a cap dump for picks trade at the deadline. Given what the outcome of this season looks like, this is probably a good scenario for us.

Correct me if I'm wrong (been wrong many times in the past lol) but it really doesn't open up 2.5 million in cap space if we're not already spending up to the cap limit (which we aren't right now unless I'm mistaken).

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Correct me if I'm wrong (been wrong many times in the past lol) but it really doesn't open up 2.5 million in cap space if we're not already spending up to the cap limit (which we aren't right now unless I'm mistaken).

I thought we were right up against the cap right now, no?

If we were taking on salary at the deadline we would be either way.

1 minute ago, nux_win said:

I don't think that anybody, including Willie, is confusing Dorsett with an actual goal-scorer.  Despite the fact that CDC loves to, it is unfair to blame Willie for the lack of scoring wingers on the team.  He has to work with what he has.  And if he makes choices different than what us amateurs think, well that's his perogative.  GCG!

I don't blame him for the lack of scoring wingers on the team. Although when you have a proven scorer in Loui Eriksson on the 3rd line and Dorsett on the 2nd line, it seems a bit interesting as to what Willie actually thinks.

We have several scoring wingers actually. They just aren't always used in the right role or deployment at times. 

Archived