The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dorsett to undergo neck surgery; out for the rest of the season

cuporbust

Just now, DeNiro said:

I thought we were right up against the cap right now, no?

If we were taking on salary at the deadline we would be either way.

Unfortunately the guy that ran Capgeek passed away (invaluable source of information).  I'm just going by numbers off of another website which says we have about 500K of cap space available.  Granted, a mere pittance but this management crew hardly inspires me with their knowledge of the CBA (just look at the various fiascos last season).

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I don't blame him for the lack of scoring wingers on the team. Although when you have a proven scorer in Loui Eriksson on the 3rd line and Dorsett on the 2nd line, it seems a bit interesting as to what Willie actually thinks.

We have several scoring wingers actually. They just aren't always used in the right role or deployment at times. 

I think I heard WD say it's "real hard to win in this league" not playing four lines.  Of course we lost to Calgary in the playoffs, and they played three lines to WD's four.

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The team needs Hansen more than ever.

His play is contagious to the rest of the team. They've really missed his leadership on and off the ice.

Agreed completely.

Since he came out of the line-up, there's been a few close games which we've lost.  Hard to imagine Hansen not making at least some difference in those games since he was scoring at a .5pt/gm pace.  You combine those .5pts/gm with whatever opposing goals Tanev/Edler would've prevented - that could potentially be a difference maker by the end of the season with so many teams bunched in the standings imo. 

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Unfortunately the guy that ran Capgeek passed away (invaluable source of information).  I'm just going by numbers off of another website which says we have about 500K of cap space available.  Granted, a mere pittance but this management crew hardly inspires me with their knowledge of the CBA (just look at the various fiascos last season).

Yea I thought it was about 500k too.

They should be able to take advantage of that if that's the direction they choose to go. Not holding my breath on deadline deals however.

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

We are this crappy and that close to the Cap?  My God our owner should be really pissed at JB.  Shouldn't a rebuilding team be at the Cap floor to compensate for lower ticket prices and lower overall revenues?

Yeah it'll depend on how far out of a wild card spot near the trade deadline.

Much as I loathe to cheer for a loss (I can NEVER bring myself to hope for a loss for the Canucks), I'd feel better if the management team acquired more picks at the trade deadline (to take advantage of the skills they do appear to have) for the upcoming draft.

Feel bad for Dorse. He came into this season playing crash bang like a crash bandicoot!

Could this be a blessing in disguise? If and its a big if we are in a playoff position come deadline his 2.65m could be used to acquire a player with considerably more skill than Dorse. Add Rodin and potentially Virtanen to that mix we might actually be able to claw our way past the first round where Dorsett could potentially re appear to play more crash bandicoot. 

Or we could just miss the playoffs altogether finish between 17th - 24th suck another year off the Sedins life because thats what "fair to them" lol.......... Drop a couple more positions in the weakest draft in half a decade because "canucks" slips tinfoil hat on. 

Ya I'd prefer to ponder option A. Get well soon Dorse just not too soon.....   

38 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

labamba take your time we dont need you 

Stop suppressing your true feelings. Everyone comes on here to say "get well Dorsett you are a warrior" because it's the PC thing to do. Join me. Join the dark side. 

A real underrated loss, he brings the fight to the fight every game.

over paid a little but still sucha important player for this team

what expansion draft implications does this have? Like with games played and such? 

I mean the Canucks are probably thinking let's do the surgery now so we don't have to protect him cause it's highly unlikely vegas will wanna pick him 

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Oh, we are just crappy, because we're crappy.  :lol:

I look at our roster and other than a glaring couple of holes on the first line (in a perfect world of course), I think we are actually not a bad looking team on paper.

Part of the problem is coaching, part is management waffling between conflicting goals in the moves they make, and part of it is underperformance by some players. 

4 minutes ago, billabong said:

what expansion draft implications does this have? Like with games played and such? 

I mean the Canucks are probably thinking let's do the surgery now so we don't have to protect him cause it's highly unlikely vegas will wanna pick him 

What is the over/under that the team exposes Baertschi, Rodin, and Granlund to keep a protection spot for Dorsett? I actually think if he is healthy they will protect him.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I look at our roster and other than a glaring couple of holes on the first line (in a perfect world of course), I think we are actually not a bad looking team on paper.

Part of the problem is coaching, part is management waffling between conflicting goals in the moves they make, and part of it is underperformance by some players. 

It's hard to get behind leadership that too often seems confused, and gives mixed messages.  I would hate to see a JB created battle plan.  His soldiers would soon lose trust.

We can get through this situation. Best of luck to Dorsett, for a smallish grinder, he plays with a lot of backbone.

Labate could play a more important role.

Granlund

Baer

Rodin

even twins

We've got too many softer, skill-fwds. Perhaps trade a D, + one of these guys. Incoming package SHOULD include more youth & size.

Last yr, we were all clamouring to get younger. & the Chinese say, "Beware your dreams, because..."

41 minutes ago, billabong said:

I highly doubt this impacts the players protected/exposed for the expansion draft. The Canucks will protect 7 forwards and those will be Henrik, Daniel, Eriksson, Sutter, Horvat and TWO of Baertschi, Hansen, Granlund, Rodin and Gaunce. Of course, this is assuming none of these players are traded between now and the expansion draft. Outside of the protected seven forwards every other forward with more than 2 years professional experience will be available to Vegas.

My guess is we won't lose a forward and Vegas will take Sbisa.

1 hour ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Hope he recovers well and full.

Not going to miss him one bit though. Glad I don't have to watch him for the rest of this season. 

A bit harsh IMO dors is a heart and soul guy and drives the forth line if he was just blessed with a better pair of hands he would be a top 6 guy no question. That being said with him on ltir maybe it will increase our odds of finding that top 6 guy we need.

4 hours ago, logic said:

Sounds like it could be a season ender :/

I really like what the guy brings to the table even if he is a bit pricey. Hope surgery goes well! 

Interesting tho it does open a spot for a young guy to take a run.

This could be more than a season ending injury. Operating to repair a Cervical Disk is not a cookie cutter deal. I have some lumbar disk issues, and have worked hard to keep from the knife. 

Good luck Dorsett. Put the family and health before the game, always. 

EW

Archived