The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Remember when we had fans?

Roberts

On 12/5/2016 at 8:52 PM, oldnews said:

You just don't get the important stuff sometimes LB.

Do you like women?  If you do, and you'd ever been to Vancouver, you wouldn't think so lowly of the place.

There are women in Vancouver? Lol.... coulda fooled me

On 2016-12-05 at 9:06 PM, oldnews said:

I remember - when the Pacific Coliseum actually "made some noise" without a fn prompt from a screen instructing them to.

And you could buy tickets at Safeway for an hours or two wages.

There weren't suits on cell phones anywhere to be seen - the place was full of everyday people.

And you went home and saw the highlights on Sportspage with Don Taylor - no analytics geek or Province sh@tspinner was gonna ruin it for you.

I miss buffalo burgers,

On 12/5/2016 at 8:23 PM, Bob.Loblaw said:

That was only five years ago.  The fans shouldn't disappear that quickly.  True, the hardcore fanbase is clearly small (unlike Toronto or Montreal), but you also gotta consider how good they were then and how boring we are now.  Back then the team was scoring like crazy, but not anymore.

It's firmly at the feet of ownership/management.

It was run like a cash cow to extract the most money, not to build and/or boost the brand to 'everyone'. The arena experience is a morgue, tailored to suits doing the wine-and-dine on clients rather than fans who will go 'rain or shine'. The upshot to that approach, the businesses can afford the very high-price ticket write-offs. The downside is, nobody wants to take a client to a boring and dull game that they're probably gonna lose. So by not building more of a hardcore base during the good times, when the bust times come around the suits vanish and tickets just go unsold, especially when the regular fan has been (and still is) priced out of the building for so long.

On 06/12/2016 at 1:21 PM, Creepy Crawler said:

Actually the second one (2011) was something put together online, most of the rioters were from the Island and lower mainland and in some cases, Alberta and chances are they would've rioted if the Canucks won anyways.  People in the city of Vancouver like myself had to clean up after.

Fact check!

Image result for fact check

50 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Do you rember when Canucks played in the PNE coliseum and half building used to be empty on a regular basis.

Canucks were one of the teams that were all ways talked about to be moving to a different city? 

The Griffiths were never thinking about selling or moving the team. 

The leagues bias against the Canucks hurts more than just the Canucks attendance. Why cheer for a team that has no chance because no matter how good a team the league has shown it will find a way to give the Canucks the shaft. 

The latest league tactic is to declare open season on Canuck players. Go ahead take a head shot. You won't even get a penalty. 

And we will warn the Canucks against any kind of payback should they try to take care of themselves.

It is not just the Canucks poor play affecting attendance 

1 minute ago, spur1 said:

The leagues bias against the Canucks hurts more than just the Canucks attendance. Why cheer for a team that has no chance because no matter how good a team the league has shown it will find a way to give the Canucks the shaft. 

The latest league tactic is to declare open season on Canuck players. Go ahead take a head shot. You won't even get a penalty. 

And we will warn the Canucks against any kind of payback should they try to take care of themselves.

It is not just the Canucks poor play affecting attendance 

Our team sucks, and outside of a few years lead by the Twins, has sucked since its conception.  We keep trying to get good too quickly.  We need to suffer the losses, and stay at the bottom until we draft two more elite guys, like the Twins.  It too the Coilers how many years at the bottom to get McDavid?  

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Do you rember when Canucks played in the PNE coliseum and half building used to be empty on a regular basis.

Canucks were one of the teams that were all ways talked about to be moving to a different city? 

That era believe it or not was not as long as people remember. The Canucks drew well for most of their tenure at the Coliseum. There were a few lean years from 85-88, but overall did quite well. A big issue not often discussed is the demographic makeup in Vancouver presently as compared to the 70s-90s. yes we had a smaller population then, but the percentage of people who grew up on hockey and cared was much higher. I would wager there are a lot of people working i Vancouver who would have no idea who Trevor Linden is. Most likely would, but not as many as some might think.

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Our team sucks, and outside of a few years lead by the Twins, has sucked since its conception.  We keep trying to get good too quickly.  We need to suffer the losses, and stay at the bottom until we draft two more elite guys, like the Twins.  It too the Coilers how many years at the bottom to get McDavid?  

Surely you are not advocating the Oiler way of rebuilding. Ten years just to maybe make the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, spur1 said:

Surely you are not advocating the Oiler way of rebuilding. Ten years just to maybe make the playoffs. 

I'm advocating staying bad, and drafting as high as possible, until we get two elite forwards to build around.  Otherwise, we just get back to being a lower middle class team, or an upper middle class team, but not really a Cup contender.  

2 hours ago, kilgore said:

Those were the days my friend

yes, but you forgot what it was like before WCE was formed. The team pretty much had great attendance since WCE, and once Sedins took over and made playoffs almost every yr under AV. The last 2-3 yrs have been the worst since I have been buying season tix since 2001.

Even though I haven't in the country for 8 of the last 10 yrs, I still support the team and buy ice packs, so my parents and sister could go.

1 hour ago, Westcoasting said:

The Griffiths were never thinking about selling or moving the team. 

How do you know what the Griffiths were "thinking"? Are you able to read other people's minds and can tell what other people think? I've very interested to know how one acquires this skill. Amazing. 

Why would you quote me and make a comment on what the Griffiths were "thinking"? My post had nothing to do with what the Griffiths were "thinking" or "saying".

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It too the Coilers how many years at the bottom to get McDavid?  

Oilers problem was they kept canning the coach (when the problems were elsewhere in the organization).

By sheer luck, they managed to hire Krueger who seemed to have turned the franchise around - course, the Oilers - being the Oilers - fired him and replaced him with a guy worse than Willie!  Eakins!)

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Oilers problem was they kept canning the coach (when the problems were elsewhere in the organization).

By sheer luck, they managed to hire Krueger who seemed to have turned the franchise around - course, the Oilers - being the Oilers - fired him and replaced him with a guy worse than Willie!  Eakins!)

But as bad as these mistakes were, they still ended up being bad long enough to get McDavid.  If they kept Kruger and finished 15th, they don't get McDavid.

Maybe it's best we keep Willie Wonka until we draft top 5 several seasons in a row?  

Archived