The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Remember when we had fans?

Roberts

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Oilers problem was they kept canning the coach (when the problems were elsewhere in the organization).

By sheer luck, they managed to hire Krueger who seemed to have turned the franchise around - course, the Oilers - being the Oilers - fired him and replaced him with a guy worse than Willie!  Eakins!)

But as bad as these mistakes were, they still ended up being bad long enough to get McDavid.  If they kept Kruger and finished 15th, they don't get McDavid.

Maybe it's best we keep Willie Wonka until we draft top 5 several seasons in a row?  

Just now, WHL rocks said:

How do you know what the Griffiths were "thinking"? Are you able to read other people's minds and can tell what other people think? I've very interested to know how one acquires this skill. Amazing. 

Why would you quote me and make a comment on what the Griffiths were "thinking"? My post had nothing to do with what the Griffiths were "thinking" or "saying".

Think the only person publically for the organization talking about the franchise moving was the dude who said "all it takes is one phone call to move this team!" lol...

Course my memory isn't what it used to be so my recollection might be off...

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Oilers problem was they kept canning the coach (when the problems were elsewhere in the organization).

By sheer luck, they managed to hire Krueger who seemed to have turned the franchise around - course, the Oilers - being the Oilers - fired him and replaced him with a guy worse than Willie!  Eakins!)

But as bad as these mistakes were, they still ended up being bad long enough to get McDavid.  If they kept Kruger and finished 15th, they don't get McDavid.

Maybe it's best we keep Willie Wonka until we draft top 5 several seasons in a row?  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

heh, why not just keep Torts?

(granted we DID get a draft pick from the Blue Jackets out of it).

Here's how good Willie is....the Blue Jackets under Torts are doing better in the standings than us.  One year fluke?  Nope, Torts was on pace last season to had a better season than Willie.  And we all know unfortunately how much a disaster Torts was.

On 12/5/2016 at 8:21 PM, Roberts said:

Remember the days when we filled other arenas like Arizona, Florida, etc.. heck we can't even fill our own arena anymore.. :frantic::frantic::frantic:

Remember when going to the games was exciting, loud, fun, victorious... I remember those days! Anyways hopefully in a few years things will start to get back on track..

you'd call them anything, but fans... more like friends when you have money and leave after helping you spend it.

17 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

How do you know what the Griffiths were "thinking"? Are you able to read other people's minds and can tell what other people think? I've very interested to know how one acquires this skill. Amazing. 

Why would you quote me and make a comment on what the Griffiths were "thinking"? My post had nothing to do with what the Griffiths were "thinking" or "saying".

Lol some people are amazing with how their brains interpret things.

• 2 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 2:09 AM, Chip Kelly said:

Vancouver women seem stuck up in my experiences. All hipster type girls. Lot of Asian chicks. Latina's are more my thing though.

For white Girls you got the daddy's girls in West Van and Downtown.

Not much quality if you ask me.

That tweet must be a joke, no?

the bandwagon has cleared out and the oversaturation of coverage and analysis with traditional media and social media and 10000 generic blogs and fancy stats has created a generation of critics rather than fans. 

nowadays every 19 year old that can read a canucks army post, check out hockeydb, look at a couple mock drafts and watch a youtube highlight package is an expert whose analysis and opinion is as worthy as the guys who have been doing it professionally for 30 years and have legitimate access to the players and execs and watch every game from the press box.

rooting for your team, hoping they win, hoping the players do well and supporting them regardless of performance is seen as being a homer. guess what, everybody. that's called being a fan. being hypercritical in the name of "objectivity" doesn't make you superior or better informed, it just makes you an asshole. 

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Who is "we"?

Fans often identity with the team they cheer for and consider themselves to be members of the team. From your question and from your posts, this is obviously not an attitude that you can relate to.

3 hours ago, NotMasonRaymond said:

Vancouver is a small yuppie town with yuppie bandwagon fans.  No wonder the Grizzles left.

I would then argue that they aren't fans at all, just people who go to games when the going is good.

15 minutes ago, tas said:

the bandwagon has cleared out and the oversaturation of coverage and analysis with traditional media and social media and 10000 generic blogs and fancy stats has created a generation of critics rather than fans. 

nowadays every 19 year old that can read a canucks army post, check out hockeydb, look at a couple mock drafts and watch a youtube highlight package is an expert whose analysis and opinion is as worthy as the guys who have been doing it professionally for 30 years and have legitimate access to the players and execs and watch every game from the press box.

rooting for your team, hoping they win, hoping the players do well and supporting them regardless of performance is seen as being a homer. guess what, everybody. that's called being a fan. being hypercritical in the name of "objectivity" doesn't make you superior or better informed, it just makes you an asshole. 

All oughta pluses bud.  Couldn't have put it any better.  If I had a dollar for every time I was called a homer..  Don't forget to add at the bottom, once you point out this to somebody you are called an apologist ;) 

2 hours ago, tas said:

the bandwagon 

Interesting convictions. 

I've been, at times, critical of the Canucks management team, yet still managed to maintain my ability to be a fan of the team. 

You know, whenever I go out to watch a game, there's always a healthy amount of fans in most places. Even just an average week night game, I always see fans out watching games. And it's easy to tell game days just by the amount of people wearing Canucks jerseys around town. There are a lot of fans in this city. No different than other cities in this regard. 

I think there's a lot more to it underneath the surface. 

Where it gets weird is the social fan culture around the team and social consciousness within Vancouver. 

We've been in the league for 47 years and still no Cup. Three finals, all losses, two of those extremely heartbreaking. 

Despite the fact that there are a lot of true, loyal fans in this city, the level of cycnicism and pessimism around this team is through the roof. That's also been fueled by a local hockey media playing to people's emotions in order to earn revenue. Through the media's constant criticism of the team, fans have their frustrations and cynicism validated. Because the media is constantly criticizing the team, that informs the fan culture. It promotes a culture of criticism. 

This is what 47 years of losing does to a fanbase from a cultural standpoint. Too much disappointment also makes it harder for some people to have hope. Having hope in the past has only been a set up for disappointment. 

At the same time, to a certain degree, it's not quite socially acceptable to be a Canucks fan. It's also cool to hate on the Canucks. People around the country also hate the Canucks. 2011 certainly drove that home.

Even though some people do love the team, they may have a hard time admitting it in public. Humans have a natural need to fit in. This speaks to the "bandwagon" aspect on some level. It's safer to root for the team when they're winning.

To root for the team when losing - to a certain degree - would make you an outcast and set you up for disappointment. It's much easier to jump on the bandwagon because you're then justified in cheering and free from disappointment. To some, that's all they've known as a Canucks fan.

All of that makes it harder for fans to self-identify in the same way other fans self-identify with their teams. It's harder for some Canucks fans to have the same type of open, feverish loyalty as other fanbases even though they are loyal.

Think about Habs fans. It's more socially acceptable in that city to be a fan of the Canadiens. Loyalty is what it means to be a Habs fan. That's all well and good when you have a history of winning. Your winning history is a source of pride even when the team isn't winning. 

This is what I see with most original six fanbases. History is the foundation that bonds them. I mean, even with the Leafs ... great grandfathers were Leafs fans. Grandfathers were fans. Father's and mother's were fans who passed it on to their sons and daughters.

Oilers fans can definitely lean on the past and feel a sense of historical pride from those years of winning and with Gretzky. Even Flames fans can at least point to their Cup win. 

Canucks fans have a different history. Heartbreak, frustration, and losing is a relatable bond. We have a lot to be proud of and grateful for. But our history comes with a lot of negative residuals from losing. That history has informed the fan culture in ways other fanbases can't understand. 

But then there's Winnepeg, which doesn't have a rich winning history but does have a feversh fanbase more in the conventional sense. This kind of brings me to the social consciousness of the city part I mentioned above.

With Winnepeg, the Jets aren't competing for the attention of fans as compared to Vancouver. There are just more options for entertainment in Vancouver, including all of the outdoor options. Also, Jets fans know what it feels like to lose their team. They certainly won't be taking the team for granted. They know what can happen if they fail to support the team.

Here in Vancouver, Canucks games are expensive. This keeps a lot of loyal fans away from the arena. For many, it's cheaper to just go out with friends and watch the game at a bar. There's also more emphasis on entertainment value here because there are more options to get a better bang for your buck. Again, this speaks to the bandwagon, but it is what it is. 

Hockey's also not priority #1 in this city. It's a priority among many in the Pacific Northwestern culture. The Pacific Northwestern culture is distinct. That doesn't mean Canucks fans aren't passionate and loyal, they're just different. The consciousness on the west coast is different, too. 

I think a lot of other fan bases see that as a negative. More in a way like ... you should be like we are. You should cheer for your team like we cheer for ours. And if you don't, you're not a good fan.

I grew up on the east coast. Arrived here 24 years ago. I can easily say fans - and what fans expect other fans to be - is much, much different.

Whenever I go back for a visit and watch Habs games, my buddies and their friends are way more intense and rabid. So intense with their fandom that it's like they start chomping on table legs and bar stools because they're so loyal to their teams. Then I look around the bar and everyone's chomping on table legs like rabid dogs in happy Habdom unison.

But that's what it means to be a fan back there. That's how they self-identify. No right or wrong just different.

Another thing ... it's gotten a lot harder to live in Vancouver or the lower mainland. That's frustrating on a life level. I think that compounds things. People just want something positive to root for now. 

There are a lot of great Canucks fans in this city and province. I see them out around town all the time. I see them in the smaller centers in BC. I love it! 

This city needs a Cup win. Period. Ideally a couple back-to-back to really change the culture and free fans from the frustration. 

40 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

You know, whenever I go out to watch a game, there's always a healthy amount of fans in most places. Even just an average week night game, I always see fans out watching games. And it's easy to tell game days just by the amount of people wearing Canucks jerseys around town. There are a lot of fans in this city. No different than other cities in this regard. 

I think there's a lot more to it underneath the surface. 

Where it gets weird is the social fan culture around the team and social consciousness within Vancouver. 

We've been in the league for 47 years and still no Cup. Three finals, all losses, two of those extremely heartbreaking. 

Despite the fact that there are a lot of true, loyal fans in this city, the level of cycnicism and pessimism around this team is through the roof. That's also been fueled by a local hockey media playing to people's emotions in order to earn revenue. Through the media's constant criticism of the team, fans have their frustrations and cynicism validated. Because the media is constantly criticizing the team, that informs the fan culture. It promotes a culture of criticism. 

This is what 47 years of losing does to a fanbase from a cultural standpoint. Too much disappointment also makes it harder for some people to have hope. Having hope in the past has only been a set up for disappointment. 

At the same time, to a certain degree, it's not quite socially acceptable to be a Canucks fan. It's also cool to hate on the Canucks. People around the country also hate the Canucks. 2011 certainly drove that home.

Even though some people do love the team, they may have a hard time admitting it in public. Humans have a natural need to fit in. This speaks to the "bandwagon" aspect on some level. It's safer to root for the team when they're winning.

To root for the team when losing - to a certain degree - would make you an outcast and set you up for disappointment. It's much easier to jump on the bandwagon because you're then justified in cheering and free from disappointment. To some, that's all they've known as a Canucks fan.

All of that makes it harder for fans to self-identify in the same way other fans self-identify with their teams. It's harder for some Canucks fans to have the same type of open, feverish loyalty as other fanbases even though they are loyal.

Think about Habs fans. It's more socially acceptable in that city to be a fan of the Canadiens. Loyalty is what it means to be a Habs fan. That's all well and good when you have a history of winning. Your winning history is a source of pride even when the team isn't winning. 

This is what I see with most original six fanbases. History is the foundation that bonds them. I mean, even with the Leafs ... great grandfathers were Leafs fans. Grandfathers were fans. Father's and mother's were fans who passed it on to their sons and daughters.

Oilers fans can definitely lean on the past and feel a sense of historical pride from those years of winning and with Gretzky. Even Flames fans can at least point to their Cup win. 

Canucks fans have a different history. Heartbreak, frustration, and losing is a relatable bond. We have a lot to be proud of and grateful for. But our history comes with a lot of negative residuals from losing. That history has informed the fan culture in ways other fanbases can't understand. 

But then there's Winnepeg, which doesn't have a rich winning history but does have a feversh fanbase more in the conventional sense. This kind of brings me to the social consciousness of the city part I mentioned above.

With Winnepeg, the Jets aren't competing for the attention of fans as compared to Vancouver. There are just more options for entertainment in Vancouver, including all of the outdoor options. Also, Jets fans know what it feels like to lose their team. They certainly won't be taking the team for granted. They know what can happen if they fail to support the team.

Here in Vancouver, Canucks games are expensive. This keeps a lot of loyal fans away from the arena. For many, it's cheaper to just go out with friends and watch the game at a bar. There's also more emphasis on entertainment value here because there are more options to get a better bang for your buck. Again, this speaks to the bandwagon, but it is what it is. 

Hockey's also not priority #1 in this city. It's a priority among many in the Pacific Northwestern culture. The Pacific Northwestern culture is distinct. That doesn't mean Canucks fans aren't passionate and loyal, they're just different. The consciousness on the west coast is different, too. 

I think a lot of other fan bases see that as a negative. More in a way like ... you should be like we are. You should cheer for your team like we cheer for ours. And if you don't, you're not a good fan.

I grew up on the east coast. Arrived here 24 years ago. I can easily say fans - and what fans expect other fans to be - is much, much different.

Whenever I go back for a visit and watch Habs games, my buddies and their friends are way more intense and rabid. So intense with their fandom that it's like they start chomping on table legs and bar stools because they're so loyal to their teams. Then I look around the bar and everyone's chomping on table legs like rabid dogs in happy Habdom unison.

But that's what it means to be a fan back there. That's how they self-identify. No right or wrong just different.

Another thing ... it's gotten a lot harder to live in Vancouver or the lower mainland. That's frustrating on a life level. I think that compounds things. People just want something positive to root for now. 

There are a lot of great Canucks fans in this city and province. I see them out around town all the time. I see them in the smaller centers in BC. I love it! 

This city needs a Cup win. Period. Ideally a couple back-to-back to really change the culture and free fans from the frustration. 

Well said 

Archived