The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What pieces are we actually missing?

MrCanuck94

Top six center - more skill less all around player - Bo is an excellent number 2 or 2 way center.  Need someone equal to or better than Bo with more offense.

Top six winger with size who will go to the net regularly and with authority - think Anders Lee NYI. / Wayne Simmonds Flyers

Legit number 1 defenseman or at a minimum top pairing that can play alot of minutes in all situations in big games.

Someone who can play top 9 with size who uses it with an edge- think Patrick Maroon.

Canucks can fill in the rest with what they have in the pipeline.

16 minutes ago, mll said:

Next season is also Benning's last year under contract.  

That'll be a conversation between Linden and Aquilini and there's no reason to not stay the course with Jim, particularly if some kids like OJ and Gaudette show real progress and the draft goes well. Throw in a hot shot college FA and Jim probably gets a 3 year extension. 

11 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Top six center - more skill less all around player - Bo is an excellent number 2 or 2 way center.  Need someone equal to or better than Bo with more offense.

Top six winger with size who will go to the net regularly and with authority - think Anders Lee NYI. / Wayne Simmonds Flyers

Legit number 1 defenseman or at a minimum top pairing that can play alot of minutes in all situations in big games.

Someone who can play top 9 with size who uses it with an edge- think Patrick Maroon.

Kyle Connor from the jets

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Isn't he really struggling?  

The entire team is, he could be had for cheap and has a high ceiling IMO, probably could us a fresh start on a well structured team looking

for young players that want to forge out a career for themselves. (The Canucks philosophy) 

2 minutes ago, IbanezRG said:

The entire team is, he could be had for cheap and has a high ceiling IMO, probably could us a fresh start on a well structured team looking

for young players that want to forge out a career for themselves. (The Canucks philosophy) 

Virtanen for Connor?  Fair?  Too much?

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Virtanen for Connor?  Fair?  Too much?

Hard to say, probably close to fair but I'm hesitant just because of how young virtanen is... but I've never been very hot on him TBH. Ok I'll call Toronto and WPG and we'll push this deal through, great meeting Alf, golf later?

if we're trading for a young winger though, I'd like it to be domi.

20 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Pretty accurate assessment although we have a few prospects earmarked for those spots. I haven't given up on Virtanen being that top 6 winger. Oj, may be top pairing in the next few years.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

That's an excellent point.  I don't see why JB doesn't give Willie an extension to his contract, so next season Willie can work with the likes of Virtanen, Boeser, Gaudette, and Juiolevi, while not worrying about his job.  Maybe our team would be better for it, and be way more fun to watch?

It's simple and it's because they are not on the face of it "elite" players.

Once more I say, go look at the Leafs team and look at the players who HAVE NOT spent 50-100 games either playing with men in a pro league or in the AHL. 

Babcock is not developing these players he is doing what WD is doing and "furthering the development" of players who are already able to play in the NHL. So is Tortorella, so is Bylsma. 

42 minutes ago, Borvat said:

17 hours ago, J.R. said:

If I'm dreaming....

We move Tanev and Baer for Domi, win the lotto and draft Hischier, sign Kane as a UFA and poof, in a few years:

Domi, Horvat, Boeser

Kane, Hischier, Eriksson

Granlund, Sutter, Virtanen

With Gaudette, Lockwood etc likely filling in the 4th line and eventually stepping up to 3rd line closer to 5 years from now. Looks terrible doesn't it?

I wish I could make that happen :wub:

I think it's mostly the top-end positions that need to be filled at forward, since the collective depth is solid.  Just need the rare scoring talent to lead the charge.

Currently on roster: 2x top-line wingers (Danny and Loui just aren't cutting it this season), top-end puck-moving D-man (Troy has been a revelation and Eddie and Tanev are collectively solid big-minute guys, but none of them are really in the same caliber as the #1 guys out there in terms of production) (center depth is good at the moment, as are the depth on the wings, on D and in net)

Future: 1 or 2 top-line wingers (not sure if Sven will top out as a 1st-line guy, and while there's hope in Brock we can't be sure), top-line offensive center (complement Bo after Hank is gone, plus #33, with all due respect, isn't playing up to that caliber, and we don't have another guy in the minors to groom to that level); top D-man (Olli, Tree and Troy all have potential for being top-pairing, which bodes well for the future at least) 

2 hours ago, IbanezRG said:

Hard to say, probably close to fair but I'm hesitant just because of how young virtanen is... but I've never been very hot on him TBH. Ok I'll call Toronto and WPG and we'll push this deal through, great meeting Alf, golf later?

if we're trading for a young winger though, I'd like it to be domi.

Yes please.  This kid would be a legend in Vancouver.

21 minutes ago, xereau said:

Yes please.  This kid would be a legend in Vancouver.

No please, Domi is great but lacks defensive play and discipline. And no to Kane too.

But maybe the Sharks are willing to trade for this years cup run for Hansen the Timo Meier kid, a young, fast and scoring power right wing who likes to go straight to the net. The Wild will have a big problem to sign this summer both Niederreiter and the Granlund brother, maybe one is available. And then there is the question what Tavares will do in the future; will he sign another contract with the Isles or not.

Archived