The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] the logic behind Benning saying he won't ask anyone to waive their NTC

JM_

So Benning said yesterday that he isn't going to ask any of our guys with NTCs to waive at this years deadline. 1040 is freaking out, but is there some sound logic to Bennings decision? What does it mean for the expansion draft?

The players are:

Sedins

Loui

Burr

Hansen

Edler

Miller

The Sedins might waive for next season when a team can take on 50% of their salary, so no point in asking them this year.

Loui - still a great winger and we need veteran guys like that

Burr - the return is likely very low and it does make sense to leave him with Bo and continue Bo's development

Edler - with 2 more years after this one, not many teams willing to take that on, plus he is still one of our top pairing guys

Hansen - who doesn't love the honey badger? But here's where the decision gets interesting - if Hansen isn't going to be traded, then he's going to be protected for the Vegas draft since you have to assume he's not going to be exposed for no return. But with Dorsett injured, and Rodin possibly not coming back in time to get enough games in to qualify for the draft then how do we meet the expansion requirements? One of Granny or Baer will have to be exposed, probably, Baer, and we're going to see a lot of Megna and Chaput for the rest of this season, and really compared to other teams thats not really bad at all given how Baer has under performed.  

I think looking at it this way its hardly a set your hair on fire comment by Benning, it just means we're not ready to trade the twins yet and we're keeping Hansen. 

It also means they are going to probably try to extend Miller, and if its at 1/2 the current salary and for one year at a time its not a horrible move either if Marky is given the #1 job next year.

Expansion requirements: 

Forwards :   2    
under contract in 2017-18, AND
played in 40 or more NHL games last season, OR
played in 70 or more NHL games in the last two seasons

2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

So Benning said yesterday that he isn't going to ask any of our guys with NTCs to waive at this years deadline. 1040 is freaking out, but is there some sound logic to Bennings decision? What does it mean for the expansion draft?

The players are:

Sedins

Loui

Burr

Hansen

Edler

Miller

The Sedins might waive for next season when a team can take on 50% of their salary, so no point in asking them this year.

Loui - still a great winger and we need veteran guys like that

Burr - the return is likely very low and it does make sense to leave him with Bo and continue Bo's development

Edler - with 2 more years after this one, not many teams willing to take that on, plus he is still one of our top pairing guys

Hansen - who doesn't love the honey badger? But here's where the decision gets interesting - if Hansen isn't going to be traded, then he's going to be protected for the Vegas draft since you have to assume he's not going to be exposed for no return. But with Dorsett injured, and Rodin possibly not coming back in time to get enough games in to qualify for the draft then how do we meet the expansion requirements? One of Granny or Baer will have to be exposed, probably, Baer, and we're going to see a lot of Megna and Chaput for the rest of this season, and really compared to other teams thats not really bad at all given how Baer has under performed.  

I think looking at it this way its hardly a set your hair on fire comment by Benning, it just means we're not ready to trade the twins yet and we're keeping Hansen. 

It also means they are going to probably try to extend Miller, and if its at 1/2 the current salary and for one year at a time its not a horrible move either if Marky is given the #1 job next year.

Expansion requirements: 

Forwards :   2    
under contract in 2017-18, AND
played in 40 or more NHL games last season, OR
played in 70 or more NHL games in the last two seasons

Good post.  Do you think JB includes Tanev in the NTC group?  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Good post.  Do you think JB includes Tanev in the NTC group?  

Thats a great question... he didn't mention Tanev, only that he wasn't going to ask NTC guys to waive. Tanman might be on his way to Boston for Spooner? I don't know if thats an equitable trade or not, I don't really know much about Spooner. 

5 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Thats a great question... he didn't mention Tanev, only that he wasn't going to ask NTC guys to waive. Tanman might be on his way to Boston for Spooner? I don't know if thats an equitable trade or not, I don't really know much about Spooner. 

God, I certainly hope we don't trade Tanev for another one of those "fill in the age gap" guys, which Spooner (a smurf) would be.  I wonder if our owner is going to say enough of this trying to compete already, and give the ORDER to trade the NTCs?  

And didn't JB force Garrison to waive his NTC?  So which is it for JB?  

9 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Boston is looking to trade Spooner+ for a top 6 LW to play with Krejci.  They are no longer looking for D according to Haggerty.  

26 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

God, I certainly hope we don't trade Tanev for another one of those "fill in the age gap" guys, which Spooner (a smurf) would be.  I wonder if our owner is going to say enough of this trying to compete already, and give the ORDER to trade the NTCs?  

And didn't JB force Garrison to waive his NTC?  So which is it for JB?  

I love Trevor Linden but more and more I am becoming frustrated with this management group when it comes to trades and overall roster decisions.  They finished 3rd worst last year and are 3rd worst so far this year.  Now there is talk of resigning Miller??   They are trading way too many draft picks and are overrating the players they seek out to acquire. 

5 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I love Trevor Linden but more and more I am becoming frustrated with this management group when it comes to trades and overall roster decisions.  They finished 3rd worst last year and are 3rd worst so far this year.  Now there is talk of resigning Miller??   They are trading way too many draft picks and are overrating the players they seek out to acquire. 

You're just seeing this now?  Trading away picks to fill roster spots that could have been filled by UFAs got me worried from day one.  You are 100% right, that we need more picks!

6 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Ok so they don't have a 2nd round pick this year unless CBJ gives their's up, a 6th round pick and a 4/5 depending on what Larsen does.  

They got Gudbranson with the 2nd and McCann so that is pretty much a wash.  The later round picks aren't exactly guaranteed, and if they are whatever players they get will probably be long term projects.  They signed Stetcher as a FA which at this point is looking like a top end pick they got for free.  

What really matters for the Canucks right now is that some of the prospects in the system at the moment take big steps like Cassels, Virtanen, and Boesner.  I'm sure the D men like Brisboise, Olsen, Juolevi and Sautner are still a ways away but they need them to develop into solid players as well.  Baertschi needs to keep improving as well.

Late round picks in the 2017 draft arnt going to make an iota of a difference in the near future

Sedins - You only acknowledge the possibility of moving them the week before they are actually moved. Until then you deny it or you get another Luongo situation. And they can't realistically be moved until after the expansion draft because no team will be willing to give up assets and protect them. Ipso facto, you don't acknowledge that possibility this year and, in fact, you deny it to retain a seller's market on them

Loui - Needed to be here for when Sedins leave.

Burr - Unless the market offers at least a 3rd round pick it's essentially moot anyway. 

Edler - The value for him would not be present until after the expansion draft as teams can only protect 3 players. Afterwards, when there is a redistribution of defensemen, then maybe. Again, deny his availability to maintain value and keep the dressing room non-toxic.

Miller - State his value to your organization and that you might re-sign him so that buyers will understand you have a minimum price. Likely the least issue as far as NTC waiving since he would be willing to go to a contender.

Hansen - Has only a Limited NTC and would be purchased by a contender. If they want to trade him, and the value is there, they don't have to ask.

Long story short... of course you say you aren't going to ask players to waive their NTC... not at this time of year. It's only because people/media can't seem to understand that timing makes a difference that they are making an issue of it. It's a non-issue in December.

1 minute ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Ok so they don't have a 2nd round pick this year unless CBJ gives their's up, a 6th round pick and a 4/5 depending on what Larsen does.  

They got Gudbranson with the 2nd and McCann so that is pretty much a wash.  The later round picks aren't exactly guaranteed, and if they are whatever players they get will probably be long term projects.  They signed Stetcher as a FA which at this point is looking like a top end pick they got for free.  

What really matters for the Canucks right now is that some of the prospects in the system at the moment take big steps like Cassels, Virtanen, and Boesner.  I'm sure the D men like Brisboise, Olsen, Juolevi and Sautner are still a ways away but they need them to develop into solid players as well.  Baertschi needs to keep improving as well.

Late round picks in the 2017 draft arnt going to make an iota of a difference in the near future

Gaudette was a 5th rounder iirc and he is looking like a good pick, every team has a 5th or 6th rounder that defied the odds to make their squad.  He is a prime example on why I hate it when I see picks added to deals.  Benning's strength is scouting not trading, and I feel other GM's are taking Benning to the cleaners everytime he makes a deal.

3 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

The Canucks do have their 2nd this year. 

3 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Gaudette was a 5th rounder iirc and he is looking like a good pick, every team has a 5th or 6th rounder that defied the odds to make their squad.  He is a prime example on why I hate it when I see picks added to deals.  Benning's strength is scouting not trading, and I feel other GM's are taking Benning to the cleaners everytime he makes a deal.

Sure, but my point is that later round picks arn't going to jump into the line up within the next 3 years most likely.  They will most likely be long term development projects, assuming they develop into NHL players.  If you want to see something different in the Canucks lineup now or next season, later round picks arn't going to make any difference.  

EDIT: and for the record JB makes fair hockey deals.  So what if he isn't trying to nickle and dime other GM's?  

One would think Burrows would be happy to spend half a season in Montreal who will be contending for s Cup.

He Is kind of an ideal rental for them.  He has s lot of playoff experience, he would be a great fit in their bottom 6 with a little sandpaper... and he is francophone and ripe to be a media and fan darling with a strong run.

benning needs to  trade tanev before his ntc kicks in  for a scoring winger  as for hansen he could be traded for a overpayment at deadline. burrows and miller at deadline for picks and a chance at a cup. Maybe edler and sedins at draft  will say to management we want a cup trade us to contenders. We can resign burrows miller to cheap contracts next yr if they want to return up to them its win win for canucks getting bunch of draft picks to load up on more prospects gives vets a chance to win cup 

32 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You're just seeing this now?  Trading away picks to fill roster spots that could have been filled by UFAs got me worried from day one.  You are 100% right, that we need more picks!

The whole NHL seems to do this and its the only sport I notice it in. Every other sport will let UFA's walk for "nothing" as the free agent market can supply them with what they need. Let the contract run out and be patient (not 6x6 mil) and you could damn near build a contender out of the free agent pool.

Archived