The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion - Should the Canucks explore trading the Sedins to Montreal

Bur14Kes17

Sorry for giving you a math lesson here but..................

The Sedin's 50 % retained = 7 million dollars, the trading team trades a plug to the Canucks for 4 million dollars = 3 milliion- a 4th liner 1million and the total net to the team is 2 million........this is simple math people..........reasonably a team could trade enough away to have no net change in cap.........

There may be a lot of reasons why the Sedins might not be traded, but money is really only a partial deterrent, and easily manipulated IMO

And just to make this even sillier, the Canucks could then move the traded players, and get rid of the cost of those players......

If the Sedins want to win a cup before they retire then they will either waive their no trade and asked to be moved or they will sign elsewhere when their contracts are up.

If they don't care about winning one then they will retire here

Don't see this ever happening. Unless they talked with management and wanted out, then they'll be here for the rest of their career. I believe we can still win the cup with the Sedins one day once we have a legit bottom 6 who can contribute consistently and a up and coming #1C which I know it may be Horvat but may be suited for a 2C role in the future who knows. And maybe picking Patrick this summer wouldn't be such a bad idea if we win the lottery. Makes us deep. We will win a cup with the Sedins. Mark my words

4 hours ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

I know I'll probably get a few minuses for this but I'm just recognizing the opportunity and putting it out there for discussion. 

With both Alex Galchenyuk and David Desharnai out for 6-8 weeks, if there was ever a time for Linden, Benning, and the Canucks to commit to a rebuild, the time would be right now. Sending the Sedins to Montreal would also give them a real chance to win a cup now. Question is, should they pursue this and what would we want in return?

I would offer the needed salary retention, and ask for this years 1st and 2nd round pick and Nikita Scherback. As well as David Desharnais to fill our center gap with Hank gone and to free up more salary for the Habs.

I think this would be a lot more realistic if the Sedins contracts were up this year. If they are ever to get traded it will have to be at the deadline before going to free agency. The implications of adding on the salary for an extra year even if it is only half is difficult for most contending teams because they all seem to have some expensive rfa negotations. Also its probably unlikely that ownership wants to pay 7 mill for their franchise players to be somewhere else. I'm not saying its impossible but fairly unlikely I think. 

I would never agree to trade the Sedins, but if I did I would want 2 1st round picks, and skillful young center projected to be a #1/2, and a blue chip defenceman prospect.

So from MTL

1st

1st

Juulsen

?

From SJS

1st

1st

?

Hertyl

From ANA

1st

1st

Theodore

?

From WSH

1st

1st

Bowey

?

Sedins+10 1st round picks+Tanev

For 

McDavid

God dam Spoilers 

OP, you might want to have a look in the Proposals sub-forum. There's a few threads there recently that might be of interest to you.

I'm pretty sure Montreal was mentioned in one of those, if not one of the other threads around the Sedins this season. I certainly remember it being brought up in the last few days.

But then we've had "trade the Sedins" threads since the start of the season (and before, many, many times before) and the answer is the same: They aren't getting traded unless they want to, and even then it's highly unlikely it could even happen until the trade deadline in the final year of their current deal. That's next season. It's just not going to happen right now, considering what teams would/could offer in return (including a cap dump) and how it'd likely be far off of what we'd expect to get for players of the Sedins value with 50% retained on both to even make the deal plausible.

No one is going to give us their 1st, a top prospect and at least a secondary prospect we'd be interested in, plus the appropriate cap dump to make it work this season - and next - for a deal to be plausible enough for Benning to even want to ask the Sedins to wave (which he's said he won't unless a player with an NTC/NMC comes to him first).

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Sorry for giving you a math lesson here but..................

The Sedin's 50 % retained = 7 million dollars, the trading team trades a plug to the Canucks for 4 million dollars = 3 milliion- a 4th liner 1million and the total net to the team is 2 million........this is simple math people..........reasonably a team could trade enough away to have no net change in cap.........

There may be a lot of reasons why the Sedins might not be traded, but money is really only a partial deterrent, and easily manipulated IMO

And just to make this even sillier, the Canucks could then move the traded players, and get rid of the cost of those players......

Easier said than done with the expansion draft to dump the cap dump on someone else. And it's not just the other team having to clear space for the Sedins this year, but they'd also have to have space for them next year (and protect them in the expansion draft, speaking of that). There's just too many reasons on top of the obvious why it's very, very, very unlikely to happen.

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

That's great and all this season...but how exactly does Montreal cram an extra $14m of cap in NEXT season now that they own the twins in this theory?

They have $15 million coming off the books next year in Radulov, Markov and Desharnais. Assuming the cap goes up and the Canucks retained salary they could easily fit the Sedins under their cap. The only issue would be what they would need to pay Galchenyuk who's an RFA. 

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

That's great and all this season...but how exactly does Montreal cram an extra $14m of cap in NEXT season now that they own the twins in this theory?

C'mon J.R., clearly we'd retain 50% on both so it'd only be $7M they'd have to shoe horn in for next year! :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

They have $15 million coming off the books next year in Radulov, Markov and Desharnais. Assuming the cap goes up and the Canucks retained salary they could easily fit the Sedins under their cap. The only issue would be what they would need to pay Galchenyuk who's an RFA. 

I understand losing Markov and Desharnais, but Radulov? Expect him back. They'll have a tough time finding room for even $7M.

Montreal is actually a great fit for the Sedins. They have Carey Price and Shea Weber in their primes both wanting a cup. And they could form a formidable second line behind Galchenyuk, Pacioretty and Radulov. 

Linden and Benning would never trade them. But there's always the possibility the Sedins "ask" for a trade to try and win a cup. Don't rule out the Sedins wanting to win a cup. It ain't gonna happen here for them that's for sure. 

2 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Montreal is actually a great fit for the Sedins. They have Carey Price and Shea Weber in their primes both wanting a cup. And they could form a formidable second line behind Galchenyuk, Pacioretty and Radulov. 

Linden and Benning would never trade them. But there's always the possibility the Sedins "ask" for a trade to try and win a cup. Don't rule out the Sedins wanting to win a cup. It ain't gonna happen here for them that's for sure. 

I thought Radulov was 'coming off the books'? :P

3 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

C'mon J.R., clearly we'd retain 50% on both so it'd only be $7M they'd have to shoe horn in for next year! :rolleyes:

I understand losing Markov and Desharnais, but Radulov? Expect him back. They'll have a tough time finding room for even $7M.

$15 million off the books. Only $7 million coming back if the Canucks retain half. Radulov and Galchenyuk eat up that $8 million. It's doable. 

2 hours ago, on the cycle said:

CDC logic,

Hi, I have a differing opinion expressed respectfully and thoughtfully. an opinion expressed often and discussed more times than I can count this season alone.

.....Down vote, -20.

Respect others opinions and if you think someone is incorrect, Argue your case.

Save down votes for inappropriate or inconsiderate behaviour.

This has been beaten to death many times and the answer is basically the same. I've noted why above (all of which has been noted many, many times before) but people still create threads and ignore why this is such an improbable idea.

1 hour ago, Harvey Spector said:

And you don't think they'd like to re-sign Radulov? He's been nothing short of fantastic and has great chemistry with Galchenyuk. Plus the Sedins would have to be protected in the expansion draft. Not to mention the Sedins seem to be very hit and miss with regards to who they're able to play effectively with. Just look at Eriksson. He was brought him because of the "chemistry" they had on the world stage and that hasn't worked out st all. 

34 minutes ago, Pears said:

To Vancouver: Nikita Scherbak, Michael McCarron, 2017 1st, 2nd, 2018 1st

To Montreal: Henrik and Daniel Sedin (retain 50%)

Anything less than that kind of a return and Benning hangs up. 

So 2 of Montreals top prospects (and former 1st round picks) plus 2 more first round picks for a couple 36 year old players who are clearly on the downside of their careers? 

Archived