The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion - Should the Canucks explore trading the Sedins to Montreal

Bur14Kes17

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

If canucks and MTL are making a deal with the sedins

Struggling Plakanec is coming back the other way.

Not with Montreal already down 2 of their top 3 centres. Even with Henrik there they'd still need Plekanec to fill the 2C spot. That being said. I highly doubt Montreal has much interest in the Sedins given their age and slow foot speed (which would not play well in they style of gave they play), and contract status (which would totally screw Montreal when it came to the expansion draft, not to mention when it comes time to re-sign Galchenyuk and Radulov) 

5 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Not with Montreal already down 2 of their top 3 centres. Even with Henrik there they'd still need Plekanec to fill the 2C spot. That being said. I highly doubt Montreal has much interest in the Sedins given their age and slow foot speed (which would not play well in they style of gave they play), and contract status (which would totally screw Montreal when it came to the expansion draft, not to mention when it comes time to re-sign Galchenyuk and Radulov) 

I don't think there is a deal to be made but MTL would have to move Plekanec if twins are going the other way.,  Only way cap would work.  His cap comes off same time sedins cap comes off. And Gally is only out 6-8 weeks. I don't think MTL will panic for a short term replacement,  If and that's a big IF....they are interested in the twins it would have more to do with upgrading for a playoff run rather than to a reaction due to injury.  So a deal with the twins could happen around trade deadline when Gally and deshanais are back.

If both teams were interested it could work. 

Sedins (50% retained) is only a 7 million cap hit.

Plekanec alone is a a 6 mill cap so it's almost a wash.

And again all caps come off at the end of 2018

But FA likely wont want to retain 7 million without a significant enough return. Which means twins likely aren't moving to MTL or anywhere for that matter. 

3 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I don't think there is a deal to be made but MTL would have to move Plekanec if twins are going the other way.,  Only way cap would work.  His cap comes off same time sedins cap comes off. And Gally is only out 6-8 weeks. I don't think MTL will panic for a short term replacement,  If and that's a big IF....they are interested in the twins it would have more to do with upgrading for a playoff run rather than to a reaction due to injury.  So a deal with the twins could happen around trade deadline when Gally and deshanais are back.

If both teams were interested it could work. 

Sedins (50% retained) is only a 7 million cap hit.

Plekanec alone is a a 6 mill cap so it's almost a wash.

And again all caps come off at the end of 2018

But FA likely wont want to retain 7 million without a significant enough return. Which means twins likely aren't moving to MTL or anywhere for that matter. 

Yeah. Totally get your reasoning. And agree there's not likely a deal to be found between the teams 

22 hours ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

I know I'll probably get a few minuses for this but I'm just recognizing the opportunity and putting it out there for discussion. 

With both Alex Galchenyuk and David Desharnai out for 6-8 weeks, if there was ever a time for Linden, Benning, and the Canucks to commit to a rebuild, the time would be right now. Sending the Sedins to Montreal would also give them a real chance to win a cup now. Question is, should they pursue this and what would we want in return?

I would offer the needed salary retention, and ask for this years 1st and 2nd round pick and Nikita Scherback. As well as David Desharnais to fill our center gap with Hank gone and to free up more salary for the Habs.

You're right, you're going to get a few minuses for this.  I mean if Gretzky can be traded, anyone can, but I think the chances of this happening, especially considering that management has said all along that they aren't going to be traded (and this has been re-confirmed recently) are practically zero.  And even if Jim and Trevor are lying about that (management often does lie about trades in the works) it's still just a bad idea.  Particularly retaining salary.  I just can't stand the idea of paying a player to play for another team (not to mention paying the SEDINS to play for another team).  And then there's the Montreal point of view (I don't think they want this trade either).  And then there's my opinion, I want to keep the Sedins right here in Vancouver (add some high end skill and maybe move them down to the second line when the time is right).  It just doesn't add up for so many reasons...  GCG!

I wish people wouldn't use the "if Gretzky can be traded..." arguement.  Gretzky was traded in the pre- salary cap era and before there was any such thing as a NMC. The only thing to impede a Gretzky trade was getting value and dealing with the fan base. 

Trading the sedins is infinely more complicated. There are salary cap issues. The fact that you can't trade just one of them. The upcoming expansion draft. 

The Gretzky trade doesn't compare. At all 

22 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

By hanging on to Hank and Danny we are about to lose them both as UFA's with nothing coming back our way.....

This would be a HUGE mistake.

If Hank or Danny are willing to move for a  CUP..   This year is the time .  Mid season or TDL is ideal. 

Canucks should offer to retain partial salary.  Get picks and prospects.

JB  - do your job please. 

Problem is Hank & Dank only want to play here & retire here. They don't want to be traded for a chance at the Cup with another team or they would've already asked for it by now. (alla Kesler). If Kesler could figure out that he would have to leave to have another chance at it I'm sure the Sedins could see it too. (their lives are even shorter). 

They chose to be Canuck lifers & that's it...

23 hours ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

I know I'll probably get a few minuses for this but I'm just recognizing the opportunity and putting it out there for discussion. 

With both Alex Galchenyuk and David Desharnai out for 6-8 weeks, if there was ever a time for Linden, Benning, and the Canucks to commit to a rebuild, the time would be right now. Sending the Sedins to Montreal would also give them a real chance to win a cup now. Question is, should they pursue this and what would we want in return?

I would offer the needed salary retention, and ask for this years 1st and 2nd round pick and Nikita Scherback. As well as David Desharnais to fill our center gap with Hank gone and to free up more salary for the Habs.

We we would have to eat half their cap to make the deal.  Would rather have their pick from last year than Scherbek.  Serg and Juolevi on the backend as prospects would be sweet 

29 minutes ago, hearditall said:

Problem is Hank & Dank only want to play here & retire here. They don't want to be traded for a chance at the Cup with another team or they would've already asked for it by now. (alla Kesler). If Kesler could figure out that he would have to leave to have another chance at it I'm sure the Sedins could see it too. (their lives are even shorter). 

They chose to be Canuck lifers & that's it...

Hank has publicly alluded that they would be open to anything if would help the team. By eating half their cap hit we would be dangling pretty tasty bait for the cup contenders. We aren't really going to need the extra cap space for a few years. 

Gotta think Montreal, The Caps, Rangers would all be interested. 

37 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Hank has publicly alluded that they would be open to anything if would help the team. By eating half their cap hit we would be dangling pretty tasty bait for the cup contenders. We aren't really going to need the extra cap space for a few years. 

Gotta think Montreal, The Caps, Rangers would all be interested. 

Not when there's still another year on there contract 

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

We would retain salary for the remainder of the contract. 

At this point & time we have Megna, Chaput, Lebate, Grenier to play instead of the Sedins. Why pay The Sedins to play for another team? So we can have the other teams over paid contracts coming back? Or play Lebate & Grenier???

Nobody to replace them...

16 minutes ago, hearditall said:

At this point & time we have Megna, Chaput, Lebate, Grenier to play instead of the Sedins. Why pay The Sedins to play for another team? So we can have the other teams over paid contracts coming back? Or play Lebate & Grenier???

Nobody to replace them...

Well that could be very easy to fix, fire Willie. Pretty sure any other coach in the history of the NHL would play his highest scoring players when down a goal in the last minutes of play. 

EW

5 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

Not when there's still another year on there contract 

Exactly. It doesn't make sense this year at all. Between having another year left at big money for older guys, needing to take both, only being able to retain 3.5 max, their desire to stay, and the expansion draft it incredibly unrealistic.

However, next year if we are in the same boat at the trade deadline wouls make too much sense not too. By then the expansion draft would be behind teams, they would be much more manageable with the cap, would likely be open to another crack in the playoffs on a cup favorite. They could re-sign and I am sure there would be plenty of teams willing in that circumstance.

I think it will be a huge step in shortening the rebuild making this move next year.

Archived