The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why we shouldnt tank...this year

orcasgonewild

Just now, Aircool said:

LOL... If you say so... If you can't outperform the Sedins while facing 2nd and 3rd defensive pairings... You aren't going to get close to their production facing the shutdown pairing for 20 minutes a night... What you are going to get, is a lot of shutouts.

Thanks and yes I say so, If other players get he ice time they get and power play time they get, they will also get alot more points. It's common sense.

Weather you like it or not the Sedin's are slow and weak on the boards, Other teams love playing against them so they can free wheel.

3 minutes ago, Pears said:

Draft Liljegren, trade Edler and Tanev for forwards to develop along with the new core. Win-win. 

yea just imagine if they drafted Liljegren.

Their d would be so good. Right now dman go for a premium so keep drafting them. They are easier to draft than 1st line players. You can get awesome dman in the top 10 and good dman in the 2nd round.

When you have a lot you can trade them for Wendy Clark....I mean Taylor Hall.

Just now, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Nolan Patrick is a rock. Not sure what you're looking at when you compare him to my fellow Burnaby boy RNH, but their games are quite different. Nolan is a lot more physical than RNH. Imho (and I've read a few articles saying this as well), his closest comparable is Ryan Getzlaf (mean streak and all) - that's quite good.

Bro I know what your saying and don't take this as a diss or anything cuz I respect ur comment but... When has a top pick come out of the whl? Unless I'm forgetting someone. Plus numerous scouts like Craig button (who ranked boeser 9th in his draft year) say he's not elite but that he can produce like RNH

I think what will happen come draft is we'll end up with the 2ndOA, which is certainly not a bad position to be in at all. I hope we'd take Liljegren, but who knows, he may drop during the season, or skyrocket like we saw Laine do last year. Liljegren has the ability to control the flow of a game. Not many players have that in the NHL. Wether that translates or not is an entirely different story. 

Obviously, this is a long shot, but still fun to think about the future. 

4 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

yea just imagine if they drafted Liljegren.

Their d would be so good. Right now dman go for a premium so keep drafting them. They are easier to draft than 1st line players. You can get awesome dman in the top 10 and good dman in the 2nd round.

When you have a lot you can trade them for Wendy Clark....I mean Taylor Hall.

Yea imagine a pairing like...

Liljegren Stecher 

Hutton gudbranson 

Juolevi Tryamkin 

Edler and tanev traded for top prospects

1 minute ago, SwedeHockey said:

I think what will happen come draft is we'll end up with the 2ndOA, which is certainly not a bad position to be in at all. I hope we'd take Liljegren, but who knows, he may drop during the season, or skyrocket like we saw Laine do last year. Liljegren has the ability to control the flow of a game. Not many players have that in the NHL. Wether that translates or not is an entirely different story. 

Bingo. 

1 minute ago, orcasgonewild said:

No his max was 56. I just don't see the point in tanking unless you know ur getting a superstar like mcdavid eichel or laine

But we are tanking, just not trying to, right?  So the result is the same, no?

i agree with you on planning to tank during rebuilding seasons where the coming draft is a good one.  

3 minutes ago, SwedeHockey said:

I like this...

Hopefully liljegren in this case cuz he's a stud and would probably look good in the old blue and green

1 minute ago, orcasgonewild said:

Yea imagine a pairing like...

Liljegren Stecher 

Hutton gudbranson 

Juolevi Tryamkin 

Edler and tanev traded for top prospects

Exactly!!!! Build from the net out. Trade the old dman....although I still think Tanev is on the up. Edler's over the hill.

Just now, baumerman77 said:

Beggars can't be choosers. We need whoever we can get in this year's draft and next years (not to mention hope that Juolevi works out).

And hope that Virtanen, Boeser, Lockwood, Demko, and the few top prospects we do have to ALL turn out.  We need more top prospects! 

4 minutes ago, orcasgonewild said:

No his max was 56. I just don't see the point in tanking unless you know ur getting a superstar like mcdavid eichel or laine

Tanking is useless. The first overall pick is overrated. People need to think top 100. Trading for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounders is the money play.

It's not a light switch. This team is bad, period.

Reality is, the 'let's not tank and compete now' crowd is getting what they want. Management is making moves reflecting that strategy, and we're still 28th in the league. What does that tell you? If we're going to end up 28th anyway we may as well come away with some extra picks.

27 minutes ago, Aircool said:

Can you imagine how bad we will be when the Sedins retire? I mean just imagine a world in which Bo Horvat is our best offensive player... While I like Bo Horvat a lot, he isn't facing the other team's best defenders at the moment... And he never should, because he should spend his whole career as a 2nd line player... It's just our management's failure in committing to a rebuild which has us with the worst offense in the NHL, and will have us starting the beginnings of a playoff drought.

You saved the OP a minus

Archived