The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why we shouldnt tank...this year

orcasgonewild

7 hours ago, orcasgonewild said:

And the 2017 first overall pick is...

A lot of canucks FANS would love to hear these words.

Others would rather we take our chances in the playoffs...

This year however is the turd cutlet of draft years considering your top pick will be...

NOLAN PATRICK.

I may not be a scout but I have watched him play several times and have done my research on him as well. He plays like RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS!!!!! Is that really worth a season of drama. 

RNH IS PROJECTED TO HAVE 36 POINTS THIS YEAR!!!!

Second best option is Timothy liljegren. He does seem good but one player still isn't worth tanking for. 

What should happen...

Canucks try their hardest this season and end up where they shall. 

NEXT YEAR: 

Canucks see how their season goes and if it takes another nosedive make adjustments

Trade

Sedins 

Edler

ect...

GET YOUNGER

MANAGEMENT SAYS THEY DONT THINK THE FANS CAN HANDLE A REBUILD...

LOOK AT THE STANDS, LOOKS LIKE THEY CANT HANDLE LOSING EITHER... 

What do u think? 

No F in way he's Nugent Hopkins.  Patrick is 6'3 200lbs as a 19 year old, (expected to peak at 6'4 maybe 220) Hopkins is 6'0 is 175 probaby) does not even play the same style, Patrick is far more physical far more tough, is willing to fight, he does not get bounce off the puck, and a superior puck handler and play maker.

12 hours ago, orcasgonewild said:

This year however is the turd cutlet of draft years considering your top pick will be...

NOLAN PATRICK.

I may not be a scout but I have watched him play several times and have done my research on him as well. He plays like RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS!!!!! Is that really worth a season of drama. 

Second best option is Timothy liljegren. He does seem good but one player still isn't worth tanking for. 

What should happen...

NEXT YEAR: 

Canucks see how their season goes and if it takes another nosedive make adjustments

Trade

Sedins 

Edler

ect...

GET YOUNGER

What do u think? 

Just from watching the highlights videos I don't see much if any resemblance to RNH. 

Patrick is bigger, heavier, faster, more physical and seems to be not averse to dropping the gloves if the occasion demands it.

I would jump at the chance to land him if I were JB.

52 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Just from watching the highlights videos I don't see much if any resemblance to RNH. 

Patrick is bigger, heavier, faster, more physical and seems to be not averse to dropping the gloves if the occasion demands it.

I would jump at the chance to land him if I were JB.

All the tools at the junior level.  And hopefully, with our deepening prospect pool, and a few development lessons learned (cough cough Jake) we stick him in the A with Green and groom him correctly to be the player he looks like he can be, for us.

11 hours ago, Aircool said:

So who are the first or second liners he should be playing with? Where is this premium talent we can place on a line with him? Sutter? LOL... Eriksson? Every day I become more convinced that his production in Boston was a byproduct of having scoring depth on that team, more so than him being a difference maker....

Funnily you put them together, but i've been thinking a lot about it the last few games.  This is a bit off topic but, Based on what we've seen this year Sutter vs Eriksson it's there a lot of difference between the two?  If we ignore past success.  Both are good defensive, and can move up and down the line up.  Sutter is a bit of a better skater but slightly less vision.  Sutter plays center and wing and while having a slightly better shot.  If "today" you could choose one:

31 year old Eriksson at 6 mill for 6 years

27 year old Sutter at 4.3 for 5 years.

11 hours ago, Aircool said:

2nd Line centers NEVER play with elite talent... Unless the center themself is quite underwhelming... Do both Sidney Crosby and Malkin get good linemates? It just so happens that neither of them get good linemates... Forget both though, that's a pipe dream. The more respect you give Horvat, the more you have to discount who he plays with, it means less.... He should be able to produce at a high level regardless.... Especially with good team systems and coaching... If a player isn't able to do that, then clearly they aren't as good as you think... Horvat is young and will show some improvement over his career, but don't let 16 points in 26 games get you all hyped up about "1st line ceiling"... First line ceiling is OBVIOUS, I don't need to name all the young players in this league who will obviously produce 60-65+ points consistently over their career.. Horvat hasn't shown  that yet... Don't even try to claim he has....

On Horvat, he shouldn't be the guys expected to carry all the load.  canucks need to find an offensive minded center to take on the offensive pressure.  He doesn't need to be a ppg player (since realistically those centers are very rare) but a center that can put up 60-70 points playing first line while Bo still playing a 200 foot game puts up 60+.  That's the balance this team needs. 

4 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Funnily you put them together, but i've been thinking a lot about it the last few games.  This is a bit off topic but, Based on what we've seen this year Sutter vs Eriksson it's there a lot of difference between the two?  If we ignore past success.  Both are good defensive, and can move up and down the line up.  Sutter is a bit of a better skater but slightly less vision.  Sutter plays center and wing and while having a slightly better shot.  If "today" you could choose one:

31 year old Eriksson at 6 mill for 6 years

27 year old Sutter at 4.3 for 5 years.

On Horvat, he shouldn't be the guys expected to carry all the load.  canucks need to find an offensive minded center to take on the offensive pressure.  He doesn't need to be a ppg player (since realistically those centers are very rare) but a center that can put up 60-70 points playing first line while Bo still playing a 200 foot game puts up 60+.  That's the balance this team needs. 

I'm not yet sold that Horvat can be a 60 point producer in the future, although I like what he's done so far this year. I mean if he goes on a 5 game pointless streak over his next 5 games all of a sudden he'd be projected to score about 40-45 pts... Which no one would find shocking nor particularly exciting. So I'm trying not to count my chickens before they hatch... But I don't really disagree with anything you've said. My position has always been that we need to acquire more elite talent, I'd like to tank to do it... Before Horvat and company get too old... and we watch them walk into UFA, or overpay them to stay.

My point bringing up Sutter and Eriksson is that I really don't consider them the type of difference makers that would improve Horvat's production... Like they really just wouldn't. I don't care to compare the two of them to each other... We never should have signed Eriksson, that signing was proof to me that Jim Benning is stupid, I needed no more proof. It went past philosophical or evaluatory differences between my perspective and what this regime is doing into the territory of "You just don't understand the trajectory of this team, and this signing does nothing to change that."

19 hours ago, orcasgonewild said:

NOLAN PATRICK.

What should happen...

NEXT YEAR: 

Trade

Sedins 

Edler

ect...

GET YOUNGER

What do u think? 

What do I think?  I think that even if we lose all our remaining games we would still not be guaranteed the first pick.  And even if we get lucky and get the top pick it still doesn't guarantee future success (see Oilers record over the past ten years).  And even if we did get the first pick, and even if it did help our team, it would still suck to lose on purpose.  The purpose of any sport is to try to win EVERY SINGLE GAME or there is really no point in even doing it.  Losing on purpose is simply not acceptable for any reason.  I have no respect for the concept of tanking (and I think that tankers don't have enough self-esteem).  Win or die trying is the only way to go in my mind.  GCG!

I don't get it OP.

A top 5 pick is still worth something. Something that would allow us to take another good player to develop or to trade down to help us get either and additional pick of maybe prospect off of some team.

So if we're going to end up out of the playoffs anyway, then let's get the highest pick possible. An asset is an asset.

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

Hate to break it to you, but WE ARE TANKING.  Sure, it's not on purpose, but we are 28th out of 30.  

Tanking means trading away decent players for draft picks therefore purposefully weakening your current team. The Canucks are NOT tanking. Signing Ericksson is the opposite of tanking.The management did all they could last summer to improve this year's team. Yes the Canucks are low in the standings now but they are also 6 points out of second place in their division, with three games in hand. Not that bad given the injuries they had. Injuries are inevitable over the year but the Canucks are missing their top 2 defencemen and that will not last all year. This team is solid as is, with as good a core of young defencemen as any team. The corner has already been turned. Tanking talk is so last year!

58 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

Tanking means trading away decent players for draft picks therefore purposefully weakening your current team. The Canucks are NOT tanking. Signing Ericksson is the opposite of tanking.The management did all they could last summer to improve this year's team. Yes the Canucks are low in the standings now but they are also 6 points out of second place in their division, with three games in hand. Not that bad given the injuries they had. Injuries are inevitable over the year but the Canucks are missing their top 2 defencemen and that will not last all year. This team is solid as is, with as good a core of young defencemen as any team. The corner has already been turned. Tanking talk is so last year!

We are in "the tank" which is different from in "a tank"?

I think he is trying to tell you that we are not "tanking" but we have "Tanked". This team has tanked due to things outside the control of all those concerned.

The thing is that I am happy with it either way as long as we are in tank mode.

22 hours ago, Alflives said:

If this Patrick kid is like Getzlaf then we want him.  Him and Bo as our 1-2?  What happens to 

sutter?

Sutter plays RW with Patrick/Heirscher Bo centers the other line. Baer plays the left side.  Eriksson plays either wing, Granlund plays wing or center, Boeser is a righty, Jake is looks better on the left IMO, by plays right. There is a enough options to flesh out a decent top 9. 

13 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Sutter plays RW with Patrick/Heirscher Bo centers the other line. Baer plays the left side.  Eriksson plays either wing, Granlund plays wing or center, Boeser is a righty, Jake is looks better on the left IMO, by plays right. There is a enough options to flesh out a decent top 9. 

Sounds good to me.  I really wonder which between Patrick and Herchier JB would pick if both were on the board when he picks?  

Tanking...

Mgmt will either do a TEARDOWN where losing is a result of trading an old core to build a new one....or RETOOL where you couple an old core with the pieces of the next core, and in the transition, your team is going to "win some and lose some" lol.

The canucks, or any team for that matter, aren't going to ACTIVELY try to lose games.. these guys are professional athletes who have COMPETED all their lives to get to the nhl.

It was just said the Canucks would NOT be trading any players with NTC of NMC so get your idea of a 'tank' out of your heads. It's not happening. Not for Nolan Patrick this year not for Auston Matthews last year.

That being said I wouldn't be surprised if one of our NTC/NMC players asked to go to a contender this year. I hope that's enough 'tank' for you.

3 hours ago, nux_win said:

What do I think?  I think that even if we lose all our remaining games we would still not be guaranteed the first pick.  And even if we get lucky and get the top pick it still doesn't guarantee future success (see Oilers record over the past ten years).  And even if we did get the first pick, and even if it did help our team, it would still suck to lose on purpose.  The purpose of any sport is to try to win EVERY SINGLE GAME or there is really no point in even doing it.  Losing on purpose is simply not acceptable for any reason.  I have no respect for the concept of tanking (and I think that tankers don't have enough self-esteem).  Win or die trying is the only way to go in my mind.  GCG!

Edmonton sucking for so long has everything to do with an inept management group who were in denial about the team they had...

Which very much resembles what the current Canucks management group has shown in the last couple years... they refuse to believe that they have a bad team and are in constant denial about what type of team they are icing.

So, yes, if the Canucks keep getting high draft picks with this current management group, I agree with you... it won't matter a lick... they will have to make smart moves to bolster the line up..

Signing Sbisa and Dorsett to ridiculous contracts are just a few of the moves that make you scratch your head in confusion.... Sbisa, somebody who couldn't crack an NHL line up previously... this management group decided to pay him top dollar for. It's moves like this that remind me time and time again why Benning will not be the one to get the job done.

Archived