The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Viola Desmond to be on the $10 bill starting 2018

thejazz97

41 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

A stamp...?  How little you think of her!  Stamps... I got a book of Star Trek stamps the other day.  Come on.

Sure, just remove the FIRST PRIMEMINISTER, AND FATHER OF CONFEDERATION.   Why not dump Laurier from the five instead, and keep Macdonald on the 10?  

16 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

No-one says it's "broken" and this isn't about replacing MacDonald. It's about educating Canadians about a part of our past that was glossed over by the education system because we don't like to admit that racism was a part of our past. Desmond made a huge contribution to the history of this country and the ignorance of some people doesn't make it less so.

This is part of the point: To try and overcome some of that ignorance.

It's easy to sit back and say that her accomplishments were "no big deal", but none of us were there and none of us understands what it's like to deal with systemic racism on a daily basis and frankly, for someone in 2017 to belittle it, is the height of arrogance, IMO.

There are A LOT of historically important Canadiens.  Without Macdonald, THERE IS NO CANADA.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sure, just remove the FIRST PRIMEMINISTER, AND FATHER OF CONFEDERATION.   Why not dump Laurier from the five instead, and keep Macdonald on the 10?  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

There are A LOT of historically important Canadiens.  Without Macdonald, THERE IS NO CANADA.  

This is what happens when you come into a thread late and don't read all the posts. @goalie13 already pointed out that MacDonald and Laurier are being moved to the $50 and $100 dollar bills. King and Borden are getting the boot.

Also, MacDoanld isn't quite the saint that you might think he is:

As a tactic of colonial expansion, Macdonald used starvation as a weapon against Indigenous peoples. As James Dascuk documented in Clearing the Plains: Politics, Starvation, and the Loss of Aboriginal Life

"For years, government officials withheld food from Aboriginal people until they moved to their appointed reserves, forcing them to trade freedom for rations. Once on reserves, food placed in ration houses was withheld for so long that much of it rotted while the people it was intended to feed fell into a decades-long cycle of malnutrition, suppressed immunity and sickness from tuberculosis and other diseases. Thousands died."

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

This is what happens when you come into a thread late and don't read all the posts. @goalie13 already pointed out that MacDonald and Laurier are being moved to the $50 and $100 dollar bills. King and Borden are getting the boot.

Also, MacDoanld isn't quite the saint that you might think he is:

Thanks for the update on the notes.

i don't care about Macdonald's issues.  Without him being the person he was, there is no Canada.  

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Thanks for the update on the notes.

i don't care about Macdonald's issues.  Without him being the person he was, there is no Canada.  

Woah woah woah... if people aren't allowed to misinterpret your ideas and put words in your mouth that you didn't say, then how can you possibly be wrong?

You take that all back right now!

On 2016-12-16 at 1:00 PM, Dral said:

Have half of the top 100 (or even 1000) greatest achievements been accomplished by women? Have half of the innovations, explorations, fights been done by women?

If the argument is getting your face on a bill should be determined by a representative spread of the population based on gender/race then sure, we're due for a Viola Desmond... but if the argument is your face should be on a bill as determined by your merits and, what you've done for Canada, REGARDLESS of gender/race, I gotta say, she's a pretty underwhelming candidate...

But I dunno, thats just me - I prefer to judge people based on their actions and not the color of their skin or genitalia

The reason Viola Desmond is remarkable if specifically because she was a black woman. She was a business owner, entrepreneur, while being married. A very rare thing at the time. She opened a beauty school so that other black women wouldn't have to travel as far to attened school, and after they too could open a business. This is incredibly important.  Deciding to challenge the case she did was also important since in NS at the time it was common to have segregated areas.

A white men owning a business isn't special, a white man with the money she had wouldn't have been denied a floor seat at the theater. You see it is important for Canadians to know and understand the way of life we have in Canada now and how it wasn't always this way. It is important to acknowledge the people who fought to make it better.

Archived