The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Recall D Andrey Pedan

b3.

I would like to see Pedan actually play defense - as dressing him as the 7th defenseman sounds like a good idea.  We know he isn't afraid to drop the gloves if needed. No idea how he plays really - have only seen him on the 4th line playing forward. So he may be tough but is he skilled?

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

What exactly is the downside in your mind?

That he's simply not ready would be the biggest. 

It also completely dismisses the fact that despite what CDC thinks, Canuck coaching and managements jobs are to win games, not 'test out' players. I assure you, they already have a VERY good idea of what they have in Subban and where he's at.

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

It sounds like Green is sitting him some nights for his lack of defensive play.... he's not exactly a kid anymore so that kind of worries me for his future with us anyway. 

The only games he has sat are because of injury..he has played 18 of Uticas 22 games...he has been back around 3-4 games and been first star and playing well...granted he didnt hit the score sheet early on and wasnt playing to his top level...also hasnt had a fight this year which leads me to think he might have been fighting some sort of injury early on.

6 minutes ago, Bo fan said:

I would like to see Pedan actually play defense - as dressing him as the 7th defenseman sounds like a good idea.  We know he isn't afraid to drop the gloves if needed. No idea how he plays really - have only seen him on the 4th line playing forward. So he may be tough but is he skilled?

The irony is if they converted Subban to a winger, he'd probably be fantastic. 

13 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

The only games he has sat are because of injury..he has played 18 of Uticas 22 games...he has been back around 3-4 games and been first star and playing well...granted he didnt hit the score sheet early on and wasnt playing to his top level...also hasnt had a fight this year which leads me to think he might have been fighting some sort of injury early on.

Oh - heard on the 1040 it was healthy scratches. Serves me right for listening to 1040. 

17 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Oh - heard on the 1040 it was healthy scratches. Serves me right for listening to 1040. 

I think 1040 know about as much as we do sometimes.

were you talking about Subban..if so you are probably right..I just thought this was about Pedan,

9 minutes ago, mll said:

Weren't you talking of Subban?  He was healthy scratch.  It's Pedan that was injured.

Sorry didn't mean to cause confusion here. I had heard Subban was a healthy scratch, didn't know Pedan had been injured. 

56 minutes ago, mll said:

That's actually what Cooper has done last year for about 30 games - even at times in the playoffs.  They dress 7Ds and play them as Ds - freshness but also in case of in-game injuries or penalties.  It also allowed to increase the minutes of some of their younger more offensive Fs instead of dressing a 4th liner, by giving them additional shifts on that 4th line.  

May as well give this a try.  It's not like WD's new strategy of shortening his bench is giving the 4th line any meaningful minutes anyways. Heck, may as well dress 9 defencemen so we can better defend with "structure"...it's all about "structure".

1 minute ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I know he was cleared to go back to Vancouver but is there an update on his condition/time off?

I haven't seen anything. But concussions are COMPLETELY unpredictable. He could be back in 2 weeks, he could be out for the season, he could be wrecked for life. No way to say.

33 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

They didn't explain the reasoning at the time he was scratched. No injury report. So people were speculating that he was healthy scratched. At the time he was also coming off a stretch of inconsistent play, so there were reasons behind the speculation.

We later learned Pedan was injured.

Since coming back, he's been fairly solid. And has been showing signs of being the type of impact player he can be (arguably their best D a couple of the more recent games).

My only concern is that Pedan ends up sitting in the press box. He seems to be rounding into form nicely right now and I'd rather see him play, whether in Utica or Vancouver, than sit and possibly lose the spark he's been showing lately.

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I haven't seen anything. But concussions are COMPLETELY unpredictable. He could be back in 2 weeks, he could be out for the season, he could be wrecked for life. No way to say.

Thanks.  Hadn't heard anything definitive.  I would expect at least 2 weeks even if he has no symptoms just to go through a thorough concussion protocol after a hit like that.  As you say, it could be much longer.  I hope he fully recovers whether or not he plays here again.

Archived