The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Vancouver - Edmonton - Tanev

On December 8, 2016 at 10:58 AM, Alflives said:

The return would have to be Draisatl.  They are on a path to succeed anyway, so why not improve our team?

I agree Alf. If we're shipping Tanev to Edmonton then we should be getting a major major piece back. Tanev would complete Edmonton's defense and give them a shutdown pair alongside Nurse allowing Klefbom and Larsson to focus on puck movement and offense. The return should be Draisaitl, and then at the draft with our (guessing) top 10 pick draft another high offense foward.

Tolvanen - Draisaitl - Boeser

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen

Granlund - Gaudette - Lockwood

Juolevi - Tryamkin

Hutton - Gudbranson

_______ - Stecher

12 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

I agree Alf. If we're shipping Tanev to Edmonton then we should be getting a major major piece back. Tanev would complete Edmonton's defense and give them a shutdown pair alongside Nurse allowing Klefbom and Larsson to focus on puck movement and offense. The return should be Draisaitl, and then at the draft with our (guessing) top 10 pick draft another high offense foward.

Juolevi - Tryamkin

Hutton - Gudbranson

_______ - Stecher

And with .Demko and Markstrom that's a young group to get excited about!  

Where is Sutter?  

6 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

Juolevi - Tryamkin

Hutton - Gudbranson

_______ - Stecher

I was actually thinking about this last night. They're going to be in cap hell at the end of this season trying to resign Draisaitl if he keeps on tearing it up like this. Say he puts up 65 points this year he will be worth 5-6 million a year the oilers won't have to spend, especially with McDavids 8M contract the year after. If we could do a Tanev + 2nd + low grade prospect for Draisaitl I would do it and run.

26 minutes ago, CanuckMan10 said:

I was actually thinking about this last night. They're going to be in cap hell at the end of this season trying to resign Draisaitl if he keeps on tearing it up like this. Say he puts up 65 points this year he will be worth 5-6 million a year the oilers won't have to spend, especially with McDavids 8M contract the year after. If we could do a Tanev + 2nd + low grade prospect for Draisaitl I would do it and run.

good idea, I would avoid the 2nd if possible, JB is money with picks.

Sutter's NTC kicked in but I'd like Tanev + Sutter for Draisaitle + cap dump + 5th 2017

Ericksso gets moved to his off wing, next year.

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Ericcksson Draisaitle Boeser

Beartschi Horvat Virtanen

Granlund Gaunce Dorsette

Leon is not for sale.  Oilers said no to a PK  Subban deal involving him Leon, they sure aren't going to turn around and trade him for Tanev.

PJ is also not for sale.  PJ is the reason they felt they could move on from hall,  He was halls replacement.

The only player that is likely open to be moved in RNH.  And I wouldn't trade Tanev for RNH.  

Sutter on the other hand, I would move Sutter for RNH.

42 minutes ago, CanuckMan10 said:

RNH will be moved and that will clear up 6 million.  Ference's cap comes off next year and they could look to moving Sekeras which would save another 9 million.

On 12/8/2016 at 9:15 AM, TheGuardian_ said:

To Edmonton - Tanev and Columbus 2nd

To Canucks - Puljujarvi,

I've been a big Tanev fan since he first joined the Canucks, but in the interest of extending the Sedins' career, I'd do it. I still think Puljujarvi is exactly what the Sedins need as a line-mate - big, skilled, fast and smart. And I also think that Puljujarvi actually can eventually learn to play center from Henrik. 

29 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

After posting this and remembering that Edmonton traded Hall for a player almost exactly like Tanev, I wonder if they approached Benning at some time? Scary!

I bet you're right, considering the relationship of the two GM's so recently working together in Boston.  Now if JB was given that offer (Hall for Tanev) and he turned it down what should his consequence be?  Sharing a hotel room with Willie D while on road trips?  :lol:

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

I bet you're right, considering the relationship of the two GM's so recently working together in Boston.  Now if JB was given that offer (Hall for Tanev) and he turned it down what should his consequence be?  Sharing a hotel room with Willie D while on road trips?  :lol:

you could make him suffer through Alf reruns, the wshowoat

Actually call me crazy but I would actually do this. It's not a very realistic trade but I have seen crazier things happen.

Here is why I do this trade.

1-Tanev is soft as butter there is no risk of injury to your top players when playing them against Tanev on a regular basis. Edmonton is getting big and mean having a softie on their top D pairing wouldn't be the worst thing ever for us. Sure they will suppress a lot more GA with Tanev in their lineup than without but they have the pieces to acquire a big mean shut down D from somewhere else anyway its bound to happen. If the canucks can cash in in the process while protecting their stars that's a win for us.

2- PoolParty has the potential to become a legit top line player with size wheels and sand he is the prototypical mold of the new NHL. Elite Talent is nigh impossible to come by without tanking or trading the farm. Tanev is good but not irreplaceable and honestly I would prefer to have the meaner scarier Tryamkin, Gud, Sbisa, bruising and bashing other teams top players as deterrent than Tanevs nifty stick checking.

3- Since were not going to the playoffs this year anyway loosing Tanev really helps us get to the basement so it really looks more like Tanev for PoolParty and a top5 pick to me sure its no McJesus draft but the top 5 are all still very talented kids with 1st line/1st pairing potential. Were on our way to missing the playoffs no matter what so we may as well make the most of it Trade some assets and move the kids into larger roles.  

Next year we look like this.

Sedins Hansen

Loui Bo PoolParty

Bae?(exp) Sutter Boeser

Jake Granlund?(exp) Rodin

Dorse Gaunce ????

Edler Stetcher

Hutton Gud

Trample Pizza?(exp)

Juolevi Biega?(exp)

in a couple years when the Sedins retire those bottom 3 lines will be solid top 3 nhl lines heck maybe even elite when you throw another top 5 pick in that mix.

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 9:26 AM, thejazz97 said:

Not only is it not fair valuation, if there's one team I don't want to trade Tanev to, it's Edmonton.

Who cares who the team trades with if it improves the team and/or shortens the rebuild/retool/do nothing.

Edmonton traded Hall, would you say no to that as well?

This Canuck team needs, desperately needs, young top 6 potential forwards and the Nucks are deep ONLY at defence, which Edmonton and a few other teams need.

Poolparty has size, was dynamic in the WJ's, has been described by his peers as being a wor out machine, ripped and could play wing or center here, Linden didn't start out as a center either. It is talent and skill that is required for this team and there are only a couple of ways to get that level of talent and skill, draft in the top two spots in GOOD draft years, the next (at this time) couple of drafts are not "good" though, or trade. No matter who the Nucks go for they will have to over pay to get someone like Poolparty.

Edmonton could part with him and hardly miss him right now as he is buried in the line up.

Edmonton doesn't need more goal scoring, they need a good defensive defence man and Tanev is one of the best and does not have any conditions attached to his contract.

This Canuck team needs goal scoring potential, not better defence, hell they can't win a 1 - 0 game.

45 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Who cares who the team trades with if it improves the team and/or shortens the rebuild/retool/do nothing.

Edmonton traded Hall, would you say no to that as well?

This Canuck team needs, desperately needs, young top 6 potential forwards and the Nucks are deep ONLY at defence, which Edmonton and a few other teams need.

Poolparty has size, was dynamic in the WJ's, has been described by his peers as being a wor out machine, ripped and could play wing or center here, Linden didn't start out as a center either. It is talent and skill that is required for this team and there are only a couple of ways to get that level of talent and skill, draft in the top two spots in GOOD draft years, the next (at this time) couple of drafts are not "good" though, or trade. No matter who the Nucks go for they will have to over pay to get someone like Poolparty.

Edmonton could part with him and hardly miss him right now as he is buried in the line up.

Edmonton doesn't need more goal scoring, they need a good defensive defence man and Tanev is one of the best and does not have any conditions attached to his contract.

This Canuck team needs goal scoring potential, not better defence, hell they can't win a 1 - 0 game.

Edmonton doesn’t really need defense now that they have Larsen.  They just need to let the players they have develop a bit more

Larsen, Sekeras, Fayne fill out their right side and takes up 13 million in cap space.  They also have Reinhart still in development along with JB’s nephew Matt Benning on the right side.

On their left side they have Klefbom, Nurse and Russell. 

Tanev doesn’t really make a lot of sense in the oil.

If you think they do break it down and explain to me why, where he'd fit in their lineup and how he's so much of an upgrade over what they'd, that they'd trade one of their top prospects for.  

They'd had 4 major blow out where they left in 5+ goals which can be counted by inconsistent goal tending, and being young.  Outside of those games they average just a shade over 2.00 goals allowed per game.    Remember Larsson, Klefbom, Benning, Reinhart and Nurse are all under 25.  That D core in a couple years will actually be pretty solid.  . 

3 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Edmonton doesn’t really need defense now that they have Larsen.  They just need to let the players they have develop a bit more

Larsen, Sekeras, Fayne fill out their right side and takes up 13 million in cap space.  They also have Reinhart still in development along with JB’s nephew Matt Benning on the right side.

If you think they do break it down and explain to me why, where he'd fit in their lineup and how he's so much of an upgrade over what they'd, that they'd trade one of their top prospects for.  

They'd had 4 major blow out where they left in 5+ goals which can be counted by inconsistent goal tending, and being young.  Outside of those games they average just a shade over 2.00 goals allowed per game.    Remember Larsson, Klefbom, Benning, Reinhart and Nurse are all under 25.  That D core in a couple years will actually be pretty solid.  . 

Understood, but Nurse isn't good.  He is like a better Pedan.  He will never be a top pairing guy or even Gudbranson.  That's his cieling in my mind.  Benning is small and very inexperienced but looks solid.  Sekera is solid like Sbisa with more offense and less hitting.  Klefbom is a slower younger Edler.  Reinhart is a bust at this point.  Larson is awesome in every way, but that's a lot of average around him.  Tanev would give them two excellent pairs.  I can see your point though they are missing a Hutton or Stecher more than they are missing a Tanev.  They really don't have many good puck moving Defenseman who can skate. 

I think the main point is that the oilers can over pay for a piece like Tanev because they have the means too.  They will also run into cap issues with their forwards so they might as well look to make deals to improve their team.  Tanev would definitely improve their team in a swap for Nuge or PJ.  

23 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Then why is their goals against so bad? Why is his +/- so bad? Why are his "stats" so ordinary? They need a Tanev type, not a guy trying to be the next Doughty. 

10 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Then why is their goals against so bad? Why is his +/- so bad? Why are his "stats" so ordinary? They need a Tanev type, not a guy trying to be the next Doughty. 

It's not.. DId you not read my last paragraph.  They've had 4 major blow out and that's effected the GA.  But even with those blow outs they are still middle of the pack.  Oilers have a young D core, they just need to give those players some time to develop. 

Tanev makes absolutely zero sense for them. Just take a look at their roster.

Klefbom Larsson

Russell Sekera

Nurse Gryba/Benning

Who does Tanev replace?  Do the Oilers trade their top prospect for a bottom 4 d?

36 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

It's not.. DId you not read my last paragraph.  They've had 4 major blow out and that's effected the GA.  But even with those blow outs they are still middle of the pack.  Oilers have a young D core, they just need to give those players some time to develop. 

Tanev makes absolutely zero sense for them. Just take a look at their roster.

Klefbom Larsson

Russell Sekera

Nurse Gryba/Benning

Who does Tanev replace?  Do the Oilers trade their top prospect for a bottom 4 d?

We want Dr. Drain instead anyway:)

Tanev for Draisatl seems fair.  

Archived