The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Are the Sedin's "Trade Deadline" Targets?

EdgarM

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:46 PM, c00kies said:

It depends with Miller. If he is willing to sign a year year extension, then it is feasible. I doubt free agency will be that great this year anyway, especially with teams losing players to the expansion draft (and thus signing potential free agents to fill those spots), so even a higher salary wouldn't kill us. I think Demo needs another you are in the AHL, despite improvements early on.

I think the whole Vegas thing, both at the deadline and during the summer, will create a lot more activity in the market  than normal.  Trades, free agency signings to replace assets you lost to Vegas. To replace ones you hedged and traded rather than lose...

I hope not. Benning is  not capable of making a trade like that.

Sedins and a 5th for prust.

Then the "there wasn't another deal out there " media interview, followed by the "foundational player " interview. Folllowed by the "character guy" interview, followed by the. "NHL ready" interview. 

Followed by the ufa signing of players equally as old and expensive in the summer. 

And the all important "win now" "playoff team" interview. 

Wierd when you look at the interviews and comments/catch phrases he's used to sell his poor judgement you see he was wrong 90% of the time. 

Jim "the weatherman" Benning. 

9 minutes ago, Nessnuck27 said:

I would trade with Montreal. At the deadline..Montreal has just over 7M in cap space.

Vancouver Trades:

D. Sedin 50% Retained.

H. Sedin 50% Retained.

Montreal Trades:

M. Sergachev

N. Scherbak

2017 1st.

You would, but Montreal wouldn't. For so many reasons. Not the least of which is they only have $2m in cap space 

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

You would, but Montreal wouldn't. For so many reasons. Not the least of which is they only have $2m in cap space 

Right now they only have 2M in cap space... come the deadline they will have just over 7M.

I would even swap M McCarron instead of Sergachev.

1 hour ago, Nessnuck27 said:

Right now they only have 2M in cap space... come the deadline they will have just over 7M.

I would even swap M McCarron instead of Sergachev.

That doesn't help them next season when Galchenyuk and Radulov need raises.. Nor does it negate the fact that the Sedins don't fit Montreals style of play. Montreal is one of the fastest teams in the league. The Sedins, not so much.  There's also the issue of the expansion draft. Right now Montreal is able to protect their most important players. The Sedins come with NMC's that require them to be protected. That means Montreal not only loses the assets they give up in the trade, they also lose a better player to expansion.  

Oh and lets not forget the fact that chemistry with the twins is hit and miss. Assuming Montreal will automatically be better having them lining up in the second line isn't necessarily true. Ericksson was brought in as a slam dunk line mate for them and it hasn't worked out at all. Too many negatives compared to the potential upside when you balance it out. We're talking about two 36 year old players that have clearly lost a step

13 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

That doesn't help them next season when Galchenyuk and Radulov need raises.. Nor does it negate the fact that the Sedins don't fit Montreals style of play. Montreal is one of the fastest teams in the league. The Sedins, not so much.  There's also the issue of the expansion draft. Right now Montreal is able to protect their most important players. The Sedins come with NMC's that require them to be protected. That means Montreal not only loses the assets they give up in the trade, they also lose a better player to expansion.  

Oh and lets not forget the fact that chemistry with the twins is hit and miss. Assuming Montreal will automatically be better having them lining up in the second line isn't necessarily true. Ericksson was brought in as a slam dunk line mate for them and it hasn't worked out at all. Too many negatives compared to the potential upside when you balance it out. We're talking about two 36 year old players that have clearly lost a step

Gallagher with the Sedins would be fire. Montreal would have to trade them back to us after they win the cup. For that reason, we would get only one 1st round pick for both of them.

3 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Gallagher with the Sedins would be fire. Montreal would have to trade them back to us after they win the cup. For that reason, we would get only one 1st round pick for both of them.

Not feasible. In order to do that Montreal would have to take on the twins full cap hit this season. Nothing retained. There is a rule that if you retain salary on a player you can't reaquire that player for a year. 

Montreal doesn't, and won't, have the cap space to take on the twins at full price. Also. There is no guarantee the twins and Gallagher would mesh. 

3 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I guarantee it. Gallagher is like a super Burrows/Hansen.

Regardless. (And for the record I don't agree that it's a slam dunk) There are way to many issues surrounding trying to make it work for it to make any sense for Montreal. 

On ‎2016‎-‎12‎-‎14 at 10:44 AM, Nessnuck27 said:

I would trade with Montreal. At the deadline..Montreal has just over 7M in cap space.

Vancouver Trades:

D. Sedin 50% Retained.

H. Sedin 50% Retained.

Montreal Trades:

M. Sergachev

N. Scherbak

2017 1st.

The Twins cannot skate fast enough to play for Montreal.

On 12/8/2016 at 4:06 PM, Cpt.Clutch said:

Does it bother anyone else seeing "Sedin's"  used as plural all the time?

Hahahaha it's been bothering me since I passed grade 3 in 1997.

People use the " 's " to pluralize all the time.

I have seen people type words that properly end in "s" like "gets" as "get's". Our education system is failing...

a team Like the CBJ's could and would be one of the best teams if they could get the twins!

they trade Hartnall and a 1st next year for the twins and we help out so they are just at the cap or they move someone else and we help what we can!

Most teams would trade other players or give us what they can plus a 1st to get the twins,but we will have to make it so next year they relieve us from some of the cap we take back if they can!

On 2016-12-08 at 3:21 PM, HerrDrFunk said:

Except for the fact that he hasn't done that the last two years. 

Well in 2015 if he did maybe the Canucks wouldn't have been run over by the Flames in the first round and last season the Canucks were sellers at the deadline (or at least should have been) because the "18-wheeler" was nearing the cliff by that time already. So your "fact" is kind of irrelevant...

1 minute ago, theilluminati said:

Well in 2015 if he did maybe the Canucks wouldn't have been run over by the Flames in the first round and last season the Canucks were sellers at the deadline (or at least should have been) because the "18-wheeler" was nearing the cliff by that time already. So your "fact" is kind of irrelevant...

My post was in response to someone betting Benning would sell our future to try and make the playoffs. So yeah, I would say that's relevant.

28 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

a team Like the CBJ's could and would be one of the best teams if they could get the twins!

they trade Hartnall and a 1st next year for the twins and we help out so they are just at the cap or they move someone else and we help what we can!

Most teams would trade other players or give us what they can plus a 1st to get the twins,but we will have to make it so next year they relieve us from some of the cap we take back if they can!

Possible hiccups to that plan:

1.) Hartnell has a NMC in his deal. If he likes being in Columbus maybe he won't want to leave just as they might be turning a corner. Why should he take one for the team to help their success if he isn't going to be part of that success?

2.) The Canucks would be taking on an additional year of Hartnell contract worth $4.75 million. This could pose a problem to the Canucks cap in 2018 - 19.

3.) The CBJ do have a number of RFA (4) and UFA (2) contracts in 2017 - 18 which will likely need a raise or re-signed. Even with Hartnell's contract out of the picture, having the Sedins at 50% means that the Jackets would be $2,25 million down, which would put them somewhere around $3 million in cap space for the start of next season. Likely this can be accommodated, but you never know.

regards,  G.

8 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Possible hiccups to that plan:

1.) Hartnell has a NMC in his deal. If he likes being in Columbus maybe he won't want to leave just as they might be turning a corner. Why should he take one for the team to help their success if he isn't going to be part of that success?

2.) The Canucks would be taking on an additional year of Hartnell contract worth $4.75 million. This could pose a problem to the Canucks cap in 2018 - 19.

3.) The CBJ do have a number of RFA (4) and UFA (2) contracts in 2017 - 18 which will likely need a raise or re-signed. Even with Hartnell's contract out of the picture, having the Sedins at 50% means that the Jackets would be $2,25 million down, which would put them somewhere around $3 million in cap space for the start of next season. Likely this can be accommodated, but you never know.

regards,  G.

Don't our Canucks dollars pretty much pay for the Columbus salaries anyway, and for their club to FRIGGIN exist?

Archived