The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Are the Sedin's "Trade Deadline" Targets?

EdgarM

2 hours ago, Knucks16 said:

Thats soooooo bad! Lol! Sedins have more respect for this organization then that haha! They played for the Canucks there whole careers! Sure they would love a shot at a Cup! But as a RENTAL! I would Rent them only to a contending CANADIAN TEAM! Either Montreal or Edmonton in return I would like a First Round pick IF they get to the eastern or western finals! And if they don't make finals then guaranteed 2 Rd pick! That's the bottom line! Cause Stone Cold Said So!!!!

Are you not reading what i have said?I was talking about the GM and owners if they have the ultimate respect for the twins they should trade them to a contender so they have another good shot at getting a cup!We all know the twins love it here not is not in question,but what management does is as they should do the right thing and trade them!

I don't think anyone can make another case than trading the Sedins for futures would be the best possible outcome for the team long-term. 

The issue is that they are next to impossible to trade because they are a package deal with a 14 million cap hit. They don't want to be moved (at least from what I have heard) and what they have done for this organization should allow them to choose their path. It would be incredibly strange to see them wearing another jersey.

I wouldn't be against trading them because I do feel it would benefit the team, but I have also accepted that being pretty unrealistic unless the Sedins want it. 

2 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

I don't think anyone can make another case than trading the Sedins for futures would be the best possible outcome for the team long-term. 

The issue is that they are next to impossible to trade because they are a package deal with a 14 million cap hit. They don't want to be moved (at least from what I have heard) and what they have done for this organization should allow them to choose their path. It would be incredibly strange to see them wearing another jersey.

I wouldn't be against trading them because I do feel it would benefit the team, but I have also accepted that being pretty unrealistic unless the Sedins want it. 

Whether the Twins want a trade or not the Canucks are faced with clear imperatives. They are in a rebuild and play cannot cater to what works for the Twins. IMHO their TOI should be around 18 minutes. Their ozone starts should be reduced somewhat. Splitting the Twins with their superior passing capability is also an idea that could be experimented with. Benning should/does field offers for the Twins and moving them with retained CAP could be worth it.   

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Whether the Twins want a trade or not the Canucks are faced with clear imperatives. They are in a rebuild and play cannot cater to what works for the Twins. IMHO their TOI should be around 18 minutes. Their ozone starts should be reduced somewhat. Splitting the Twins with their superior passing capability is also an idea that could be experimented with. Benning should/does field offers for the Twins and moving them with retained CAP could be worth it.   

I absolutely believe that moving the twins would be the best option and retaining cap space should make it possible. The potential for a return would be significant enough to explore this option but again, I've come to terms that it won't happen most likely. Trading for the Sedins with big salary cap retention would be something that would put a team over the top for the playoffs. I have seen the Rangers being brought up as an option and that to me feels somewhat realistic. Their window is about to close and Lundqvist is not getting any younger. AV is head coach and the Rangers are known for trading for and signing older star veterans. I guess this would be an option at next years deadline rather than this with the Sedins UFA statuses next season. It's quite an intricate situation and it's kinda exciting to think about the possible return. Would never jump on a bandwagon, but I really would if that happens. 

1 hour ago, DeltaSwede said:

I absolutely believe that moving the twins would be the best option and retaining cap space should make it possible. The potential for a return would be significant enough to explore this option but again, I've come to terms that it won't happen most likely. Trading for the Sedins with big salary cap retention would be something that would put a team over the top for the playoffs. I have seen the Rangers being brought up as an option and that to me feels somewhat realistic. Their window is about to close and Lundqvist is not getting any younger. AV is head coach and the Rangers are known for trading for and signing older star veterans. I guess this would be an option at next years deadline rather than this with the Sedins UFA statuses next season. It's quite an intricate situation and it's kinda exciting to think about the possible return. Would never jump on a bandwagon, but I really would if that happens. 

If the Twins are traded, would next season's TDL (2018) be more likely?  

I understand that we all see the twins as a package, but what if a team called only wanting one or the other? Would they refuse to go separately or be upset if their brother wanted to go for that chance at a cup? I would like to think that they wouldn't stand in each other's way if it came down to it, but who's to say either wouldn't feel guilty about possible leaving the other to have their chance to win it all? I do get the feeling though that they would need to be approached to waive, as opposed to them asking to be moved.

Glad Torts told Botchford how happy he was to see him again, such a troll.  Columbus maybe the only team that could take on the Sedins but unfortunately I do not see them moving. Would be nice to clear 26 million in  cap space for next year by moving, Sedins, burrows and miller. There would be a lot of free agent options available if

they were gone by deadline this year!!

7 minutes ago, canucklehead80 said:

I understand that we all see the twins as a package, but what if a team called only wanting one or the other? Would they refuse to go separately or be upset if their brother wanted to go for that chance at a cup? I would like to think that they wouldn't stand in each other's way if it came down to it, but who's to say either wouldn't feel guilty about possible leaving the other to have their chance to win it all? I do get the feeling though that they would need to be approached to waive, as opposed to them asking to be moved.

They are a package. If they're moved. It's together. 

7 minutes ago, canucklehead80 said:

Why don't we keep them, and split them up!  Put Hank into a Checking third line role, and .Danny in a second line scoring role?  

2 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

I'd say so Alfie. 

Now, will JB trade any coming UFAs at TDLs?  He hasn't done it yet.  He's a frastrating GM.  The guy drafts well, especially with later round picks, but trades picks away, so he has less than he could have.  

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Now, will JB trade any coming UFAs at TDLs?  He hasn't done it yet.  He's a frastrating GM.  The guy drafts well, especially with later round picks, but trades picks away, so he has less than he could have.  

Well last years deadline is a bit unfair to use as a conclusion. Hamhuis just came back from an injury and was on the verge of being traded to Dallas. Dallas in turn tried to pull a sneaky one on Benning and tried to get Hamhuis for cheaper and ended up with an inferior player in Russell. That's all on Dallas. Vrbata made sure he wasn't traded and has gone public about that since. You can't blame it all on Benning for those two players not being moved. 

This year Benning will most likely move out veterans if there is any demand for them. Miller and Burrows the two most likely to be moved right now. Hansen does have a chance to be moved but he's got term on his contract. 

Then you gotta consider the expansion draft this year and how that will make it more difficult for teams to acquire players with term on their contracts. 

We'll just have to wait and see. I am hopeful that Benning get's something done. He tried last year and certain circumstances meant it wasn't done. I'm glad he didn't take the Stars pitty offer just because. They tried to pull one over on him and he wasn't going to stand for it. 

19 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

Well last years deadline is a bit unfair to use as a conclusion. Hamhuis just came back from an injury and was on the verge of being traded to Dallas. Dallas in turn tried to pull a sneaky one on Benning and tried to get Hamhuis for cheaper and ended up with an inferior player in Russell. That's all on Dallas. Vrbata made sure he wasn't traded and has gone public about that since. You can't blame it all on Benning for those two players not being moved. 

This year Benning will most likely move out veterans if there is any demand for them. Miller and Burrows the two most likely to be moved right now. Hansen does have a chance to be moved but he's got term on his contract. 

Then you gotta consider the expansion draft this year and how that will make it more difficult for teams to acquire players with term on their contracts. 

We'll just have to wait and see. I am hopeful that Benning get's something done. He tried last year and certain circumstances meant it wasn't done. I'm glad he didn't take the Stars pitty offer just because. They tried to pull one over on him and he wasn't going to stand for it. 

Moving the Twins even with CAP retention would be tough this year since they do have another year in their contract. The Vegas draft throws another wrench into things since acquiring the Twins might expose younger talent that a team does not want to lose.

Archived