The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Lightning

-Vintage Canuck-

I hope the people who are constantly whining about trading Miller have paid attention to the last two games he played.

He stole this one... literally sucked the life out of the Tampa shooters, by the end of his time in the game you could see they didn't believe they could beat him except by a fluke.

Skille finally scores...  Very nice goals, hope we see more like that, but I am not betting the farm.

Jason Megna on the other hand, I think he can be expected to continue to play well.

Good game by Gudbranson, decent game by Biega.

1) Sedins looked lethal out there with Sutter tonight, that defence really struggled and aren't a very good defending team. Sedins hopefully picking up their play a bit now.

2) Horvat and Baertschi and Burrows with plenty of chances again, could have had a couple of goals. No need to worry about them. Brilliant PKing by Burrows and Horvat too.

3) Erikssson a bit reluctant to shoot tonight, he passed up 2 A-grade chances to shoot and passed it which nullified the scoring chance. Hope he gets his confidence back because he should be burrying them. Granlund had some nice little plays but the trio were very quiet tonight against a weak defence. Not great but Loui was fantastic on the PK and constantly contributing to this team in more ways than one.

4) Fourth line wins us the game of course, Skille showing us he has a lot to contribute, wouldn't mind seeing that shot and power with the twins at some point. Nice goals by Megna too albeit he was handed them - Skille's were far more impressive. They did well tonight.

5) Stecher didn't have a strong game offensively for the first time but great defensive stick all night long and shutdown some very good forwards. Sbisa the same. 

6) Hutton and Gudbranson had a pretty good game, one of their best complete games in a while. They shutdown some good scorers again and didn't make too many mistakes but did let up a lot of shots.

7) Tryamkin struggled a little bit and didn't play too physically tonight, his play is slowly slipping but not costing us yet. Biega had a very good game and really checked hard all night long.

8) Obviously Miller's best game of the year and he is really catching fire now with a couple massive games, similar to how Luongo used to carry this team in 2007. Hopefuly it's a minor strain/injury and he's not out long-term just as he's getting good.

On the whole, we played very well but defensively can't keep giving up this many shots. The offence is coming through but man do we miss Edler and Tanev.

26 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

1) Sedins looked lethal out there with Sutter tonight, that defence really struggled and aren't a very good defending team. Sedins hopefully picking up their play a bit now.

2) Horvat and Baertschi and Burrows with plenty of chances again, could have had a couple of goals. No need to worry about them. Brilliant PKing by Burrows and Horvat too.

3) Erikssson a bit reluctant to shoot tonight, he passed up 2 A-grade chances to shoot and passed it which nullified the scoring chance. Hope he gets his confidence back because he should be burrying them. Granlund had some nice little plays but the trio were very quiet tonight against a weak defence. Not great but Loui was fantastic on the PK and constantly contributing to this team in more ways than one.

4) Fourth line wins us the game of course, Skille showing us he has a lot to contribute, wouldn't mind seeing that shot and power with the twins at some point. Nice goals by Megna too albeit he was handed them - Skille's were far more impressive. They did well tonight.

5) Stecher didn't have a strong game offensively for the first time but great defensive stick all night long and shutdown some very good forwards. Sbisa the same. 

6) Hutton and Gudbranson had a pretty good game, one of their best complete games in a while. They shutdown some good scorers again and didn't make too many mistakes but did let up a lot of shots.

7) Tryamkin struggled a little bit and didn't play too physically tonight, his play is slowly slipping but not costing us yet. Biega had a very good game and really checked hard all night long.

8) Obviously Miller's best game of the year and he is really catching fire now with a couple massive games, similar to how Luongo used to carry this team in 2007. Hopefuly it's a minor strain/injury and he's not out long-term just as he's getting good.

On the whole, we played very well but defensively can't keep giving up this many shots. The offence is coming through but man do we miss Edler and Tanev.

tryamkin was plus 2 with an assist  not sure thats slipping  but il take it over larsen any day  

Didn't watch the game and watched some of the highlights. Really proud of the boys' effort tonight. The 4th line came up big with all the offense and Skille's first goal is certainly a candidate for goal of the year. The way he took that pass while he was facing towards our own zone and was able to slide it over to himself was very impressive. This game showed why JB signed Skille over Ruutu. Megna also looked good too. Tipped home Biega's shot and was able to get a buzzer beater before the period ended. Also Miller looked real good tonight. That save when the puck was in the air after he got a piece of it has got to be a save of the year candidate. He is still the real deal. I hope he stays here another year. Wouldn't be such a bad idea. Also congrat to Guddy for scoring his 1st as a Canuck and 1st of the season. Might've gotten lucky with the bounce off the boards then Bishop but we had the puck luck tonight. Hockey gods were finally on our side today. Hopefully they'll also be there when draft lottery rolls around.;) but hoping that wont be the case. Playoffs or bottom out. GCG!

1 hour ago, canuktravella said:

guddy   for bust mccann and a second was highway robbery  stupud analytics gm is clueless.

Only 8 players in his draft have played in more NHL games.  Guess everyone else in that draft are busts to eh?

5 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Jayson Megna plays pretty good for being a Canucks hater in his past.

botch wrote about his apology to Sedins.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/the-provies-megnas-apology-to-the-sedins-how-skille-shocked-the-world-and-that-front-office-that-never-stops-interviewing

Make the Sedins great again. Lol.

8 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

Cooper must be happy getting scored on 5 times by the nucks lol

I guess Linden thinks we are a cup contender now.

No he probably doesn't but we are making progress that is what we should expect and what many on here haven't the ability to discern.

8 hours ago, mll said:

Nice win.

When the game is basically won I don't see the need to overplay the Sedins especially at the start of a long road trip.  

Henrik gets 6:30 in the 3rd period for 20min total - was it really necessary to play that much in the 3rd.  Baer/Horvat play 3:30 at EV in the 3rd (total 14:30 for Baer / 17min for Horvat diff being the PK).  Those are the kind of games where you can give some more ice time to the younger players no?

Don't talk silly. The Sedins have been doing road trips for 15 years it will be water off a duck's back to them. 

Enough with the hindsight BS, we won 5-1 and that is what you come up with, a bit of mathematical acrobatics? 

Go check what other coaches do in the league I'm sure a nit picker like you can find plenty to complain about and just let the rest of us enjoy a win. :P

8 hours ago, mll said:

Could have played him on another line.  The Sedins have already played a lot of minutes and there's still a long season ahead.

I also dislike when the Horvat line is going for them to always be the ones to have their minutes scaled back over the other lines.  I find rather little that they played only 3min at EV in the 2nd and 3:30 in the 3rd.  Horvat gets his minutes because of the PK but his line with Baer incl PP is 14:30 over the night.  

The Horvat line WASN'T going for them though was it? They competed but they were not up to their usual standard.

8 hours ago, oldnews said:

Is it just me, or does it get relatively quiet around here when the team wins/does well, etc?:lol:

Combover, Alf, Phil, Silent Sam, Creepy Crawler and their buddies are holding a wake in Phil's garden. :lol:

They are crowdfunding a petition to have the game replayed as they deemed Willie's moustache didn't conform to NHL regulations.

6 hours ago, Mattrek said:

My thoughts:

- We were definitely due for a lopsided win. I just didn't think it would come from where it did.

- This game was the vintage Vezina Miller. Fabulous game by him and one I feared we'd never see again.

- Skille and Megna come out of nowhere to take the game over. Great to see! Did anyone know Skille had a shot like that? I know I didn't. Hope we continue to get secondary scoring and it's not a one game flash in the pan.

- Gudbranson scores! We'll sort of. Maybe this will get the monkey off his back like Burrows when he got a fluke. Would love to see him score more and gain some confidence.

- Loved the bulldog Biega. Doesn't quite have the skill level, but he has the heart and guts that Stecher does. Also hurray! Another d-man who shoots! Hope he sticks around for a while.

- Defence could definitely have been better. 38 shots is far too much, but without our top 2 D it's expected. Luckily we had our goalie bail us out.

Great all around team effort and it's awesome to see the back end putting some points on the board.

DeNiro is in mourning. He has been trying to get them shipped out for weeks.:lol:

Archived