The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on Team 1040 December 9

AlwaysACanuckFan

Benning is right on the money with the team direction. He didn't say that there would not be a trade for picks just not asking anyone with ntc. We could still see a D man get moved for draft picks.

Glad to here that they will not move picks.

4 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Benning is right on the money with the team direction. He didn't say that there would not be a trade for picks just not asking anyone with ntc. We could still see a D man get moved for draft picks.

Glad to here that they will not move picks.

Amen to that 

As it stands the Canucks have their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 7th round picks this year, plus the owed Columbus 2nd round pick for hiring Torts. Would be nice if they can stay true to their word and add a few more without moving any. As always, we'll have to wait and see, though.

3 minutes ago, billabong said:

back to back no action trade deadlines will not go over well with the fan base So he better do something 

I don't care what he says, I care what he does. A lot of time between now and the deadline for things to change. 

Because when the team isn't winning and the fanbase gets itchy, it's great to forget about teambuilding and pretend like you're playing GM mode on your favourite hockey game.

4 minutes ago, billabong said:

back to back no action trade deadlines will not go over well with the fan base So he better do something 

I don't care what he says, I care what he does. A lot of time between now and the deadline for things to change. 

Sometimes not doing something is the best move. I'd hate to see a GM do something just for the sake of making a move just to pacify the fan base and not make the team better.

I like what Jim is saying - he's developing the younger guys in the right way. E.g., a lot of folks were very jealous of Nylander, but after 25 games he's now on the 4th line, getting publicly called out by Babcock. I prefer more sheltered play with veteran partners for the kids vs. that. 

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

This trade deadline will be about protecting your assets from Vegas. Everyone will be after picks so don't be shocked if there is very little done.

Thats what I think too. I will honestly be very surprised if JB makes any moves, maybe Beiga to a team that needs a draft eligible D or some minor move like that but nothing "big". 

5 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Thats what I think too. I will honestly be very surprised if JB makes any moves, maybe Beiga to a team that needs a draft eligible D or some minor move like that but nothing "big". 

If our D gets healthy then something will need to give. If Beiga gets his games then Sbisa could also be moved and probably for more value then Beiga.  Sbisa has been playing well and could actually bring something back.

Team 1040 is back on their negative crap again. Always trying to find a hidden agenda.

I think I understand where Jim Benning is coming from but I'm curious if he would at least advise a player with a NTC if there is an offer from a team that makes sense for the Canucks.  Is this one of those, "Hey, there's an offer for you, what do you think?" with a nudge and a wink for the player to suggest waiving the NTC, or is this a blanket approach of waiting for the player to say, "Hey, I want out and to play for a contender"?

I'm OK with the former.  I think it's his job.  There was speculation from Elliot Friedman that the Canucks might have been looking at the end of the Sedin's current contracts as the period of "rebuild on the fly" whereas the full rebuild would commence after next season.  I can buy the argument that perhaps ownership is focused on "winning now" because of a relationship with the Sedins.  I do think, however, that if a good offer is on the table for the Sedins, especially from a contending team, then the Canucks need to at least let them know about it.

For guys like Edler, Burrows and Hansen, I can understand the desire to keep some of them around for leadership.  I'm not entirely on board the "trade all the vets" approach since you still need people to mentor the young players.  That being said, again, if there is an offer for a guy like Burrows, then why not trade him?  He's on an expiring contract and doesn't add any value in respect of the expansion draft.  

As for Edler and Hansen, I guess one issue is who do we replace them with?  Hutton and Tryamkin have been decent and Sbisa has improved significantly, but are any of them really ready to eat Edler's minutes?  This stretch without Edler and Tanev is interesting since we get to see this play out.  I would expect that the team could get some assets back for Edler and Hansen but there could be a net loss.  I think it's too much to expect a guy like Brock Boeser to come in next season and replace Hansen up front.  I'm a bit more on the fence about Edler as Hutton has shown promise, and the ability to absorb extra minutes, but for all of Edler's faults, trading him would affect our defensive depth significantly.

If the team is interested in getting picks then I'm guessing some guys in the bottom 6 and the farm might be expendable.  I would expect to see Subban shopped for a mid-tier pick (4th or 5th), maybe even to Nashville since (besides the obvious presence of PK) they love their D.  Pedan might also be expendable given Tryamkin's development.  Even Chaput (F/O ability), Megna and Skille might be good depth players for a contender.

Whatever the case might be, I'm not expecting too much activity or big movement from the Canucks.  It's unfortunate to see them as a middling team without a lot in the pipeline for the future but it's good to see that they can still be competitive (even after their terrible stretch earlier this year) and hopefully the team can at least stop trying to buy.

10 minutes ago, appleboy said:

If our D gets healthy then something will need to give. If Beiga gets his games then Sbisa could also be moved and probably for more value then Beiga.  Sbisa has been playing well and could actually bring something back.

Team 1040 is back on their negative crap again. Always trying to find a hidden agenda.

Yup thats true, the way Sbisa is playing he has certainly upped his value. Plus he doesn't have a NTC so that makes him a definite trade partner.

1040 relies on BS instead of actual analysis. 

9 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Sounds like a desperate GM that know he either makes the playoff's or is gone.

You need to stop listening to the crap the media in this city pukes out on a daily bases. They are trying to create a peaceful  environment for the club. The best thing is for the club to just draft and develop and maintain a stable club house.

The media survives on turmoil.

I'm still very unhappy that they're flat-out unwilling to look at trading any of the remaining NTC players. 

As it currently stands, we're going to be exposing one of Baer or Granlund because Burrows and Hansen both must be protected. While I love both Burrows and Hansen, I would much rather one or both of them be traded for picks and prospects. Hansen is a very valuable commodity right now and is the perfect player to help a team make a run at the cup. Burrows has shown he has value still and could likely garnish a 2nd or 3rd from a contender and we could very likely sign him back in free agency.

The fact that we may end up losing one of our young players that have been developing because management is unwilling to trade a vet makes me sick.

Jim may not say what the "fan base" wants to hear - but you have to like the fact that he tells it like it is.  Some hate him but I still believe  he and Linden have a plan, and contrary to what the media thinks should happen this season - they will stick with the plan

I can understand the value the remaining "core" has to mentoring the youth. I am concerned with Benning taking hard line positions regarding certain transactions while managing a team that has some serious deficiencies.  If Toronto asks for Edler in return for Nylander and a 2nd does he just say "no" because of his arbitrary decision?

Is his position jut for this year or is he talking about the remaining term on their contracts? IF the latter, that is bad management as it means all of those valuable assets will walk for nothing.   No one has a crystal ball so why would he publicly make such an announcement and what purpose does it serve?

His position also means that if he is going to move any players to fill holes, it will be the likes of Tanev, Hutton or Stecher.  IS the value of Edler worth letting that kind of young talent go?

I would be much happier with JB saying that they will be respectful in dealing with all NTC players but will always keep an eye on doing what is right for the organization.  These statements by him and TL about loyalty to the vets of 2011 are nice and all, but they could be painting themselves and the franchise into a corner.

6 minutes ago, Fateless said:

I'm still very unhappy that they're flat-out unwilling to look at trading any of the remaining NTC players. 

As it currently stands, we're going to be exposing one of Baer or Granlund because Burrows and Hansen both must be protected. While I love both Burrows and Hansen, I would much rather one or both of them be traded for picks and prospects. Hansen is a very valuable commodity right now and is the perfect player to help a team make a run at the cup. Burrows has shown he has value still and could likely garnish a 2nd or 3rd from a contender and we could very likely sign him back in free agency.

The fact that we may end up losing one of our young players that have been developing because management is unwilling to trade a vet makes me sick.

What he said was he wasn't going to approach them, but he would look at something if someone wants to leave. So basically if someone does want to go, and their agent has a deal ready, JB will accommodate. 

Plus Hansen is probably the best deal in hockey, I don't want to see him thrown away for a lower pick in a soft draft year. 

Archived