The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on Team 1040 December 9

AlwaysACanuckFan

1 minute ago, mll said:

Modified NTC means going to the player and asking him for a list of teams.  Benning said that he does not want players wondering if they will be traded or not.  I don't think he is going to play on technicalities - everyone who has a trade clause will be with the team by the end of the season unless they ask for a trade.

A lot of teams ask players for their list in the summer prior to the season. Benning might already have lists for those players. Or he might not.

10 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

One thing he does need to solve is who gets the last two  expansion draft protection slot in the forward group. Granlund, Baertschi, Hansen are fighting for the last 2 spots, and I'd prefer not to lose either three of them.

That should be JB's concern atm.

Hansen is definitely not fighting for a spot. I would have to say granlund has an edge over baertschi though as he plays centre and has actually played passed everyone's expectations I would say.

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Jim Benning's job is to build this team.  Not placate fans and the media.  Not to blow sunshine up their behinds.  Not to take advice from people who don't have a clue about how to run a sports franchise let alone build a good roster.  He was hired and is being paid to build a successful competitive team whether any of you like or agree with the process or not, and that isn't going to change, especially after just 2.5 years in.

I disagree about one thing: placating fans is what keeps their asses in the seats, something that apparently is happening at an alarmingly lower rate lately.

The Canucks will do it their way but at their peril. Not listening to what your customers want is a very dangerous business plan. It is a very risky strategy to maintain the core status quo for any longer.

Benning is also on glue if he thinks the vets are why we are winning. The young players are why we are winning. 

2 hours ago, Bo fan said:

Jim may not say what the "fan base" wants to hear - but you have to like the fact that he tells it like it is.  Some hate him but I still believe  he and Linden have a plan, and contrary to what the media thinks should happen this season - they will stick with the plan

My biggest question is "why do he and Linden constantly have to share their plans and strategies with the entire hockey world?"   It is almost a daily exercise for these guys to spill their thoughts on players and how they will deal with specific situations.  How about you just keep quiet and let the moves and product tell the story. 

WIth all these "positions" out in the public domain, it just makes it harder to do anything contrary to stated objectives and costs them credibility if they do something opposite of their stated goals.

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I disagree about one thing: placating fans is what keeps their asses in the seats, something that apparently is happening at an alarmingly lower rate lately.

The Canucks will do it their way but at their peril. Not listening to what your customers want is a very dangerous business plan. It is a very risky strategy to maintain the core status quo for any longer.

Benning is also on glue if he thinks the vets are why we are winning. The young players are why we are winning. 

Fans aren't in seats because we aren't winning and generally the sedins aren't sedining. It's not because we are or aren't rebuilding.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

I doubt Edler gets moved until his last year. Maybe next year (if at all).

My money is on Tanev this summer.

Quite possibly...I was sarcastically alluding to the Hamhuis for Bowie speculations and now 50% of our dman potential trade drama is gone.

its all on Edler now!

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I doubt Edler gets moved until his last year. Maybe next year (if at all).

My money is on Tanev this summer.

I would be really surprised and disappointed if Tanev gets moved as Benning considers him a big 'part of the group' and he is only 26.

Why is your money on him being moved though?

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Jim Benning's job is to build this team.  Not placate fans and the media.  Not to blow sunshine up their behinds.  Not to take advice from people who don't have a clue about how to run a sports franchise let alone build a good roster.  He was hired and is being paid to build a successful competitive team whether any of you like or agree with the process or not, and that isn't going to change, especially after just 2.5 years in.

Man you are so wrong, Benning's job is to sell tickets, simple as that.

He does it by selling the "star" players, unfortunately for him the one's the Canucks have are diminishing

SO,

He sells hope of the future, Boeser, Demko, etc....

His job is to exactly placate the fans, the media is supposed to help, that's why you don't hear so much about how really bad this team is, the media will select the absolute worst examples when commenting on trades ot draft picks.

His job IS to blow sunshine.

1 minute ago, bohoforpresident said:

I would be really surprised and disappointed if Tanev gets moved as Benning considers him a big 'part of the group' and he is only 26.

Why is your money on him being moved though?

My view on Tanev is that in around 4+ years when we're hopefully contending again, he'll be exiting his prime. He also gets rag-dolled too hard and too often for my liking and I'm concerned that starts catching up to him sooner than later (perhaps it already is). Then there's his NTC that kicks in this summer and that he currently is valued pretty high by the analytics community and off his performance at the world's. If we're going to maximize return on him, it's this year before July 1 IMO.

That and we're going to have to start moving him and yes, eventually Edler in the next couple years as the Hutton's, Stetcher's, Juolevi's, Brisebois etc start pushing for roles and minutes. There's simply not enough room for all of them.

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I challenge you both to try and break it down.  What age gap and what was the purpose/benefit of those players?

For example Linden Vey

Why did this team need to get Vey? What did he accomplish?  Did we not currently have a player (Santo) on our roster that could have filled that void?

-For what Vey brought this team we could have signed any scrub UFA and got the same if not more value. 

-Lets move on to Prust? Did he fill an age gap? What did he accomplish?  Could we have not just dumped Kassian for nothing and kept our late pick?

-Who’s next, Etem, Did he fill an age gap? What did he accomplish?  Could we have not just dumped Jensen for nothing or left him in the AHL (possibly get claimed) but keep our late round pick?

-Larsen, Did he fill an age gap? What did he accomplish?  Did we not currently have a player (Weber) on our roster that could have filled that void?

-Clendening, Did he fill an age gap? What did he accomplish?

-Pedan, Did he fill an age gap? Are we even going to give him NHL opportunity so that he can accomplish anything?

We’ve let players leave for nothing. Matthias, Kassian, Santo, Richardson, Corrado, and been forced to replace them at a cost of picks. 

When people use the excuse that we needed to fill the age gap? Ask yourself, WHY?  Why did need to fill that age gap.  The ideology behind that theory would be that they’d make it a smoother transition, but how smooth has this been?  Sure we added some players in an age range, but what was the benefit, to finished 28th overall and eventually loosing those age gaps (Vey, Etem, Prust, Larsen, Pedan) for nothing.  And we will likely loose Granlund or Baertschi come expansion draft.

For what this team has accomplished it wouldn’t have made a single difference if we had kept the players we had vs going out and the new players.  At least had we kept the other players we wouldn’t have been able to hold on to all our picks. The majority of the picks we've moved (who cares if they are late round picks) have accomplished nothing for this franchise.  And that is a fail for a team that's in the middle of a rebuild.

Im not doing all that work! I have a life

57 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

We acquired 2nds for both of them, genius. 

But that's cool, I can tell you're just going to cherry pick info that supports your argument anyway.

The troll you are responding to has painted himself into a corner. You know he won't be responding to your post because it contains actual facts that conflict with his agenda.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Basically when he becomes like elder is now then...

Sorry I didn't see that post.

I wouldn't say he gets ragdolled... he does block alot of shots though. This is speculative though. You're maximizing return for a players decline that may or may not happen. Also... assuming that both juolevi and briseboi will turn into top 4 nhlers.

Crystal balling.

I am one of the biggest critics of Jim Benning around here and after hearing this interview I am on board. Every GM makes mistakes and it looks like he is committed to looking more forward than now. He is a great talent evaluator and I'm excited to see what he can do with a surplus of picks. 

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

And how did that age gap fill turn how....Really gave us some winning seasons.  I'm so tired hearing this age gap BS.  We had sufficient players in that age range when JB took charge of this team.

Dont let the facts get in the way of an argument.  Worked for Trump I suppose ;) 

its been shown time time and time again the we had a big hole in the early to mid twenties players that could make an impact on the game.  Not sure where you are getting your info

Archived