The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Metallica

Johnny Shotgun

Listening to some tunes on YouTube... let it play and Metallica comes into the picture.   Didn't mind them ..."Enter Sandman"... but for a band that set the internet music sharing  programs asunder they are frankly bad.  For a greedy band they sure like to have their lyrics voiced back to them by the fans.  Guess royalties are built into the ticket price.  Going to rip the Black Album save Sandman and toss the rest.   They rank up there with Nicklecrap.

To find the real value of Metallica you have to back before the Black (untitled) album.  Try "...and Justice for All", or "Master of Puppets".  You will find music there that will blow Nickleback back to the curb where they belong.  I don't give a crap about the business side of things, it is all about the music, and at one time, they had it in spades.  It's not for everyone but for those of us that need a bit of catharsis now and then, early Metallica is nothing short of amazing.  "Enter Sandman" was OK but nowhere near their best work.  Try "Fade to Black" or "Frayed ends of Sanity" or anything earlier than the Black album for that matter.  My personal fave is "One" what an amazing and powerful song (both technically and emotionally).  Metallica were once really good musicians that didn't sell out at all - they didn't go mainstream, mainstream came to them (well before they actually sold out).

19 minutes ago, nux_win said:

To find the real value of Metallica you have to back before the Black (untitled) album.  Try "...and Justice for All", or "Master of Puppets".  You will find music there that will blow Nickleback back to the curb where they belong.  I don't give a crap about the business side of things, it is all about the music, and at one time, they had it in spades.  It's not for everyone but for those of us that need a bit of catharsis now and then, early Metallica is nothing short of amazing.  "Enter Sandman" was OK but nowhere near their best work.  Try "Fade to Black" or "Frayed ends of Sanity" or anything earlier than the Black album for that matter.  My personal fave is "One" what an amazing and powerful song (both technically and emotionally).  Metallica were once really good musicians that didn't sell out at all - they didn't go mainstream, mainstream came to them (well before they actually sold out).

Fair enough.  I will take you up on your suggestion.  The Nicklecrap reference was a low blow fueled by beer.  Appreciate your comment.

23 minutes ago, nux_win said:

In all fairness, Death Magnetic and their newest release, Hardwired to self destruct or whatever are phenomenal and harken back to the pre "Black Album" days

Comparing Metallica to Nickelback? Get your s**t together, kid.

Sure, I haven't liked a single album they've done since "And Justice for All", because Bob Rock got his greasy little mitts in there and tried to give them commercial appeal by taking all the edge, angst, saddness, power and politics out of their music and turned them out like some boy band.

I guess they wanted the game and their music took a s#*tty turn because of it. But go give a listen to anything produced prior to 1990 and you'll realize what a ridiculous and embarrassing comparison you made. Nickelback. Pffft

33 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

In all fairness, Death Magnetic and their newest release, Hardwired to self destruct or whatever are phenomenal and harken back to the pre "Black Album" days

Pretty close, for sure. 

But the desperation's gone, they're too rich and successful to be angry, and it comes out in their music.

I never liked the singing about comic book monsters and stuff. When they finally grew up, became fathers and got rich, they get called sell-outs because they cant rock out in rage like they used to.

Those early albums were good, but had that negative feeling to them. I was relieved when the Black one dropped and really liked the commercial Load and Reload too. St Anger pissed me right off, what a waste of 20 bucks. DM was not bad, but this new one.. woah, overproduced to death. Lars sounds like crap, tiny crap. Jame's vocals don't connect to the riffs anymore either. Too bad.

Megadeth has blown past them in terms of being worth buying albums. My favorite was probably Youth.

Other than Crazy train and Bad Moon rising, Enter Sandman and Symphony were the first songs I tried to learn on guitar. I still suck, but have 6 of them now.

8 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

And a hint of Newsted's bass, which was drowned out by the wall of guitars in Justice.

They had to drown Newsted, he was a huge letdown compared to Burton.

Burton fit with the band being a pure shredder and all. Newsted is boring as crap and essentially played rhythm bass, very rarely took it for a walk, let alone a run.

He reminded me of "if Gumby played bass for a metal band"

Megadeth's  'Rust in Piece' Album is the epitome of thrash metal and my favorite metal album of all time.  I can't imagine a metal band of Hetfield/Burton/Mustaine/ and any other drummer not named Lars.  Guess the world was just not ready for such ferocity.   \m/

Archived