The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall goalie Thatcher Demko

JV77

7 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Don't expect Demko to get any action up here so why not leave him down in Utica lighting it up like he has recently instead of having him warm the bench up here? Garteig should have gotten the call IMO

Demko played tonight and Garteig will take the net tomorrow for Utica. Garteig needs to play a few games at the AHL level before he could be expected to backup an NHL game. He played 1 game in Utica so far and he looked very shaky and was all over the crease. Demko has played well so far, even though he gave up 4 tonight, so give him a seat on the bench and a nice paycheck for the week and show him what he's in for at the NHL level. I have zero problem with the callup. I don't even want to think about what happens if Markstrom goes down though...

13 minutes ago, Neversummer said:

Are there 2 threads on this?  

News gets reported here quickly, so it's not uncommon to see two people make threads on the same topic without knowing the other is also making a thread.

EDIT: Just realized you've been a long-time poster. So never mind my first answer--yes, there are two threads.

23 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Don't expect Demko to get any action up here so why not leave him down in Utica lighting it up like he has recently instead of having him warm the bench up here? Garteig should have gotten the call IMO

Makes you wonder eh?  They have a back to back this weekend in Florida and Washington.  Hmmmm......<_<

22 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

This.

Guess this is strictly an experience type callup for Demko. He just got the hang of things down in Utica so I'm somewhat surprised they called him up and risk messing with the rhythm he's built.

Nothing major or anything like that but just a bit surprised is all. I'd personally have kept him down there and let him keep dominating and building up his confidence - why mess with something that ain't broken?

20 minutes ago, Qwags said:

I guess that means Demko could get a start on Sunday.

I hope not.

He just got the gist of things down with the Comets. 

...I can just imagine him getting his first ever NHL start, Canucks not showing up, him letting in 3+ goals, and all hell breaking loose lol. All the "Demko is a bust" crap. Plus it'd likely be his only start so why risk hurting his confidence and sending him back down to Utica with a sour taste in his mouth? 

Maybe I'm making this out to be more than it is but I don't really see much reward with this callup. If anything, it's really just a whole lot of risk all things considered.

e: there's always the flip side chance of him killing it his first ever start and standing on his head coming out victorious with a W. The unlikelier scenario, but I just wouldn't bet on it. 

25 minutes ago, b3. said:

Poor Utica, we are just giving them blow after blow. :lol:

I imagine Markstrom will have a very long leash this weekend.

Would be a mistake to play him again on Sunday IMO..

unlikely he has an easy game on Sat, and the games aren't even 24 hours apart

Archived