The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall goalie Thatcher Demko

JV77

I don't buy the idea he's being called up to warm the bench,

When has this regime ever done anything except for what they think will make the playoffs, developments be damned

he's being called up to play, the way management looks at it, he is our #3 on the de[th chart and 1a is down, we have back to backs this weekend so that means a split.

They may have another motive in hoping he has a great first NHL game as it is highly likely he is being discussed as part of some possible trades, but the Canucks don't like how he's being valued, one good NHL start and the hype machine is off and running, if it's a bad start, then it's not like the offers could get any worse.

Demko has been really solid for the Comets. Kind of surprised that  he got called up. I wanted him to spend this year down in Utica and keep his rhythm going. He has NHL calibre goaltending for sure though. I have a feeling that he will do just fine though on Sunday or whenever he is called upon. 

3 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

Speaking of Luongo..,

im not sure the nhl will be able to guve canucks a cap penalty on his contract because they approved it before last cba and changed the rules on contracts im sure vancouver canucks would take this to arbitration and actually have a case against nhl. Especially when the nhl voided kovalchuks capp circumvention contract with lil repercussions and ended up lowering the penalty to devils 

4 hours ago, apollo said:

So what's happening with Miller? 

As soon as he starts to dominate, he gets injured?... Sigh 

It may even have something to do with we have a 168lb netminder who's 36 years old playing in the NHL. Yes, he's going to get injured eventually, I find it hilarious people are surprised by it in any way shape or form.

2 hours ago, canuktravella said:

im not sure the nhl will be able to guve canucks a cap penalty on his contract because they approved it before last cba and changed the rules on contracts im sure vancouver canucks would take this to arbitration and actually have a case against nhl. Especially when the nhl voided kovalchuks capp circumvention contract with lil repercussions and ended up lowering the penalty to devils 

The league enforced it on the LA Kings for Mike Richards.  

5 hours ago, apollo said:

Canucks Now ‏@CanucksNow  11h11 hours ago

As per @NEWS1130Sports, the #Canucks have called up Thatcher Demko due to Ryan Miller's lower-body tightness.

Canucks have called up Thatcher Demko due to Ryan Millers lower body tightness?

I always figured it was Millers wife that had more lower body tightness. :P

9 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Canucks Now ‏@CanucksNow  11h11 hours ago

As per @NEWS1130Sports, the #Canucks have called up Thatcher Demko due to Ryan Miller's lower-body tightness.

Canucks have called up Thatcher Demko due to Ryan Millers lower body tightness?

I always figured it was Millers wife that had more lower body tightness. :P

I think Miller needs to spend some time alone over the weekend to get rid of that tightness in his lower body...

IMG_2023.JPG

6 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

I don't buy the idea he's being called up to warm the bench,

When has this regime ever done anything except for what they think will make the playoffs, developments be damned

he's being called up to play, the way management looks at it, he is our #3 on the de[th chart and 1a is down, we have back to backs this weekend so that means a split.

They may have another motive in hoping he has a great first NHL game as it is highly likely he is being discussed as part of some possible trades, but the Canucks don't like how he's being valued, one good NHL start and the hype machine is off and running, if it's a bad start, then it's not like the offers could get any worse.

that's a nice fantasy and all, but come on.

the canucks needed a backup for a couple games so they called up demko to give him a taste of the nhl life; travel, preparation, and pay cheque. they did the exact same thing with other prospects in the past, like gaunce last year. 

there's absolutely no chance demko plays unless markstrom goes down with an injury. 

6 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

Speaking of Luongo..,

The sheer mention of this...

It has got to be the most ridiculous ruling ever... a back dated penalty for working within the rules.

And yet losing on purpose is considered 'smart' management.... It is so crooked, it beggars belief...

Pro sport at its finest....not.

5 hours ago, apollo said:

Just like last year, the guy is getting pretty old. Miller is not the biggest of guys and i think he got too many games in a row and got dehydrated and stiffened up leading to injury.

1 hour ago, tas said:

that's a nice fantasy and all, but come on.

the canucks needed a backup for a couple games so they called up demko to give him a taste of the nhl life; travel, preparation, and pay cheque. they did the exact same thing with other prospects in the past, like gaunce last year. 

there's absolutely no chance demko plays unless markstrom goes down with an injury. 

Agreed. He's just getting a taste of real NHL atmosphere. I think it's a good motivational move.

8 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

Speaking of Luongo..,

Might be "within the rules" but Gillis knew he was pushing it. I think Luongo's agent should have asked for the length of term to be cut as it was stupid to go that far in advance. I guess Luongo isn't complaining now that his contract "sucks". 

Archived