The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall goalie Thatcher Demko

JV77

18 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Might be "within the rules" but Gillis knew he was pushing it. I think Luongo's agent should have asked for the length of term to be cut as it was stupid to go that far in advance. I guess Luongo isn't complaining now that his contract "sucks". 

True, but still... It would be nothing but outrageous if Luongo hangs up his gloves in 2020 or 2021... Guess in that case they would just buy him back and put him LTIR.. IF he agrees to it...

Luongo whining about his contract was nothing short of sickening...

5 hours ago, canuktravella said:

im not sure the nhl will be able to guve canucks a cap penalty on his contract because they approved it before last cba and changed the rules on contracts im sure vancouver canucks would take this to arbitration and actually have a case against nhl. Especially when the nhl voided kovalchuks capp circumvention contract with lil repercussions and ended up lowering the penalty to devils 

Nope it applies. Kovalchuck's deal had more years on it than Lu's, and was designed to circumvent fewer dollars than Lu's. NJ will be paying until 2025, which is ridiculous and actually benefits NJ because of a ridiculous contract. I guess the lesson is Gillis should have signed Lu until he was 60. 

We're pretty much f'd unless one of two things happens: Lu goes on LTIR for whatever the remainder of his contract is; or we trade back for him, and allow him to stay home but take up 1 spot on the roster for the rest of his contract. 

8 hours ago, apollo said:

So what's happening with Miller? 

As soon as he starts to dominate, he gets injured?... Sigh 

Millers had a few issues with tightness this year... makes me wonder about this idea of extending him being floated around. If he's healthy I don't mind if its for 1 year around 3 mil or so as a backup for Marky, but certainly not as the "#1" next year. 

3 hours ago, ice orca said:

Just like last year, the guy is getting pretty old. Miller is not the biggest of guys and i think he got too many games in a row and got dehydrated and stiffened up leading to injury.

I have been posting for years about Vancouver being the "goalie graveyard" and one possible reason, as you stated dehydration.

Dehydration caused by flying.

The air in an airplane is dehydrated to prevent moisture build up and the cabins are pressurized to 8000 feet. This affects goalies more causing them the need for longer time to recover. 

Even if cramps don't occur dehydration cause motor and brain functions to slow.

Smaller older people would be affected more and faster.

Boxer's that sweat down to make weight immediately drown themselves to rehydrate as fast as possible, but being on a plane delays rehydration and indeed reverses that from happening.

In the SCF, Vancouver had already flown 5 times the hours as Boston and both Vancouver goalies ended up suffering from prolonged air travel, for Schnides, he got severe cramping, for Luongo, being aired out twice.

Maybe management is going to showcase Demko so they can trade him.

59 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Nope it applies. Kovalchuck's deal had more years on it than Lu's, and was designed to circumvent fewer dollars than Lu's. NJ will be paying until 2025, which is ridiculous and actually benefits NJ because of a ridiculous contract. I guess the lesson is Gillis should have signed Lu until he was 60. 

We're pretty much f'd unless one of two things happens: Lu goes on LTIR for whatever the remainder of his contract is; or we trade back for him, and allow him to stay home but take up 1 spot on the roster for the rest of his contract. 

If Luongo plays until 2019 and then is bought out the cap hit is around 250 grand until 2024 or so..

1 minute ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I have been posting for years about Vancouver being the "goalie graveyard" and one possible reason, as you stated dehydration.

Dehydration caused by flying.

The air in an airplane is dehydrated to prevent moisture build up and the cabins are pressurized to 8000 feet. This affects goalies more causing them the need for longer time to recover. 

Even if cramps don't occur dehydration cause motor and brain functions to slow.

Smaller older people would be affected more and faster.

Boxer's that sweat down to make weight immediately drown themselves to rehydrate as fast as possible, but being on a plane delays rehydration and indeed reverses that from happening.

In the SCF, Vancouver had already flown 5 times the hours as Boston and both Vancouver goalies ended up suffering from prolonged air travel, for Schnides, he got severe cramping, for Luongo, being aired out twice.

Maybe management is going to showcase Demko so they can trade him.

Hey very cool stuff about dehydration and air travel.  

As for Demko, he won't get in a game.  And if he does, it won't be a trade bait thing.  He's the goalie in JB's plan of building from the net out don't you think?

1 minute ago, gizmo2337 said:

To me, it sounds like Miller's injury is groin. So, they risk it and let him play through it, or they give Demko a look. I'd love to see Demko play....but my bet is Miller gets the nod.

He'll play. You know he'll play! ....

One problem. Goalies can't play with a messed up groin. If they can't stretch they turn into an old school stand up goalie, and that doesn't work in the Butterfly NHL. 

11 hours ago, Apple Juice said:

Probably won't be getting playing time but Benning is probably doing what he's been doing the past couple of years. Rewarding hard work from AHL guys by calling them up to the NHL club to get an NHL paycheck and by practicing with the NHL team, gives them familiarity with the players and experience to bring back to the AHL to continue dominating. By the time they make the NHL full time, they would've already known the routine of an NHL schedule and since they practiced with the big club, are more familiar with the systems as well, translating to an easier transition from AHL to NHL.

I normally don't agree with many fruits around here let alone juice, however this is clearly what is happing.... Anyone who fallows this team knows they do this and I agree with it.

11 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

If Luongo plays until 2019 and then is bought out the cap hit is around 250 grand until 2024 or so..

Thats a really good option actually.... he has no reason not to accept a trade to Van for the sole purpose of a buyout. FLA really has us by the nuts tho on that trade. 

Gillman's "cap genius" and Gillis' ability to piss off the league has no equal. 

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hey very cool stuff about dehydration and air travel.  

As for Demko, he won't get in a game.  And if he does, it won't be a trade bait thing.  He's the goalie in JB's plan of building from the net out don't you think?

JB's plan??????

That would be the conventional and logical thinking, in doubt on this team though.

11 hours ago, nergish said:

He's not a 'career' goalie, he hasn't had one yet.
His play is evolving every game he gets to start. I've been super impressed with Marky this year - his movements are smooth and efficient, and he seems much more determined on every play. His puck handling is also the best we've ever experienced from our goaltenders in this franchise. Hugely underrated element.

Look at what Dubnyk is doing with his career since leaving Edmonton.

Same style of tender. Huge lads with huge pads. Simple movements, nothing fancy.

At a certain point it becomes a game of percentages. When you're 6'6, the numbers are on your side.
I'm not worried about bridging the gap to Demko, Markstom is a good goalie in his own right.

Thatcher has an undeniable X-factor (it's the only way you get to be a pro ice hockey goalie coming from San Diego), so I secretly hope to see him in action and put up a performance for the ages, but I also remember what happened when Malcom Subban got a reward call-up...

Either way I dig the move. Thatch is playing great and is potentially a guy that will sell a lot of merchandise for this team, get him on board if even just for a sniff of the good life.

He hasn't had one yet is a bit of a stretch.  He isn't 20, and he has played almost 100 games.  That's quite a lot for a goalie.  That's three full seasons as a backup.  He seems to be mentally a lot stronger now as he would choke badly every time he got called up to the NHL, but you can't deny that his numbers are well below average still.  I hope he gets better, but how long are we supposed to wait?

5 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Thats a really good option actually.... he has no reason not to accept a trade to Van for the sole purpose of a buyout. FLA really has us by the nuts tho on that trade. 

Gillman's "cap genius" and Gillis' ability to piss off the league has no equal. 

Blaming Gillis is crazy, just look at what the guy that helped draft that rule did, he signed Suter, Parise and Weber (indirectly because he is still connected to Nashville) to contracts many times worse. You think he might have some "inside" information? He did those contracts at the very last minute, that could be because it was a signal that the new rule wouldn't be enforced or it would be "massaged" at any rate he was the last one to do one.

Other teams had similar contracts as well, Detroit for one.

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

ya they pay 250k per yr on that contract  not as bad as aossible 4 mill-8mill 1-2 yr cap hit  thats a minor league contract so cheap  they got aslap on wrist

2 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

JB's plan??????

That would be the conventional and logical thinking, in doubt on this team though.

It seems JB used assets to develop hi goaltending and D first. (Probably because they take longer to mature than the fowards). He used assets to find place holders in several forward positions. (Baer, Granlund, Dorsett) He took the power forward in his first draft (JV) because those guys take longer to mature into their role - much like the defencemen.  I think in the coming drafts he takes forwards with elite skill who have very high ceilings (Herchier for example) and who will be in our lineup when the young D are hitting their primes.  I would LOVE to see JB trade Edler or Tanev, or both for young elite skilled forwards.  

Demko played this Friday for the Comets, Carteig would start tonight on a back to back anyway. Utica won't play again until Wednesday. Thatcher has been very good since taking over as #1 after Bachman got injured, why not call him up? If it's just for a couple of days, he won't miss any games with the Comets. Plus, how do you think he would feel: playing his best hockey of the season, showing great signs he can be an AHL starter, and your franchise calls up the dude backing you up? I think the Canucks absolutely made the right call.

15 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Blaming Gillis is crazy, just look at what the guy that helped draft that rule did, he signed Suter, Parise and Weber (indirectly because he is still connected to Nashville) to contracts many times worse. You think he might have some "inside" information? He did those contracts at the very last minute, that could be because it was a signal that the new rule wouldn't be enforced or it would be "massaged" at any rate he was the last one to do one.

Other teams had similar contracts as well, Detroit for one.

He OKd a deal he knew was cheating the spirit of the cap. Who would you like to blame then? Does Bettman strike you as a guy that would take something like that lying down? It was a dumb move by G+G that has potentially disastrous consequences to the next core. 

Archived