The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Poll: Greatest Canucks GM of all time

smokes

Who do you think is the greatest GM of all time for the Canucks?  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Other than Hortankin who are the 3 clowns that voted for Benning?  Is there a way to ignore users on here? 

Mr. Rugby, i like your thinking. 

i wish there was a way to flag trolls or dumb asses and once they get a certain amount of flags their profile picture will turn into a donkey or a troll, so we can spot them sooner.

i have BIG Love for Pat Q, .....but i voted for Burke, he did the homework to prove Bure was eligible for the Draft, with his Russian played games. Also Burke got us the Twins.

Pat Q got us Markus Naslund, but the Big Irish Man was a horrible Draft picker. much a better coach. 

Iron Mike was Hated, the lest liked GM/Coaches ever but, he did make good trades. Loved T Linden but with emotions aside that was a good trade, Linden was not the same 94 run player, he was on the downhill decline....and the Deal got us Bert and McCabe which also made the Twin deal possible.

Pre Quinn the GMs where a Gong Show. if you add up all their IQs it would equal that of a Hockey Bag full of Pucks.

53 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

No it wasn't.  Ehrhoff didn't have a great last season with the Sharks (he was nicknamed "Error-hoff" for example by their fans).  Sharks managed to get a 2nd round pick (by not offering White a contract) - so they got something for an asset that wasn't working out.  At least that's my recollection.

A cap dump is Pizza - who Benning promptly gave a sizeable raise to.

Yeah the goaltending fiasco under Gillis prevents me from ranking him any higher than 3rd.

Na, it was cap dump to make room for their acquisition of Dany Heatley. That's why they took garbage in return as garbage earns no salary.

Got to be Quinn, the man traded Alek Stojanov straight up for Markus Naslund.

He also traded Dan Quinn and an aging Garth Butcher for Geoff Courtnall, Cliff Ronning, Sergio Momesso, Robert Dirk and future considerations.

Both of those deals are highway robbery.

18 minutes ago, Kokanee king said:

Mr. Rugby, i like your thinking. 

i wish there was a way to flag trolls or dumb asses and once they get a certain amount of flags their profile picture will turn into a donkey or a troll, so we can spot them sooner.

Then the real fans, the eternal optimists, will change your cool profile picture!

Careful what you wish for.

17 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

but i voted for Burke, he did the homework to prove Bure was eligible for the Draft, with his Russian played games

It wasn't really homework but "finding" scoresheets that didn't seemingly exist before (yeah right.....but like I said, it ain't cheating if you don't get caught!).  Burke was under Quinn though when that happened wasn't he?  Great one-two combination.

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

No it wasn't.  Ehrhoff didn't have a great last season with the Sharks (he was nicknamed "Error-hoff" for example by their fans).  Sharks managed to get a 2nd round pick (by not offering White a contract) - so they got something for an asset that wasn't working out.  At least that's my recollection.

A cap dump is Pizza - who Benning promptly gave a sizeable raise to.

Yeah the goaltending fiasco under Gillis prevents me from ranking him any higher than 3rd.

cap dump, unwanted, on the outs, whatever you want to call it. My guess would be the Sharks were shopping him rather than Gillis coming calling for some moneyball manoeuvre. 

Burky was in charge when I started following the team. So no disprespect for Quinn, but I never was around for his moves.

My vote is MG hands down. Hated him by the end of his tenure but his accomplishments speak for themselves. He did so much other work to upgrade operations for the club aside form his roster moves. Truly made us a world class franchise. 

The 4 people that voted for Jimbo... I wonder who they were... LOL! 

4 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

cap dump, unwanted, on the outs, whatever you want to call it. My guess would be the Sharks were shopping him rather than Gillis coming calling for some moneyball manoeuvre. 

Still a great move by Gillis; just like Keenan's infactuation with Bertuzzi doesn't diminish the great move by Nonis in acquiring Luongo IMHO.

Course, Gillis had to screw it up by not re-upping Ehrhoff.

3 minutes ago, apollo said:

Burky was in charge when I started following the team. So no disprespect for Quinn, but I never was around for his moves.

Have to look at what he inherited....a club with nothing and no history of any kind (at least not in a good way).  Not easy to change that.  Quinn's main fault was that he was too loyal in the end.

3 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Yes, Benning had one handcuff on his hand when he was hired but he turned around and put the handcuff on his other hand with the deals like Eriksson.  Other moves like dealing Garrison to free up cap space only to throw it all away on an INFERIOR IN EVERY WAY player like Pizza makes your argument kind of hallow IMHO.  Further, Benning has handed out NTCs pretty much like Gillis did (HELLO 40 point career high $4+ million foundational center Sutter - who the coach that Benning hired uses him alot as winger).  Guds will get a NTC  (pretty much a Bryan Allen clone) - I'd be shocked if Benning doesn't give him one based on past history.

As for "soft core" you can't use the argument that he inherited that core & then blame him for it being soft.  

Agree to disagree.

I don't disagree with anything you've said here.

Good post.

6 hours ago, Baggins said:

It's funny that so many love Quinn, yet when Bure's name comes up management is trashed for how he was treated. Well Quinn was that GM. My choice is Burke. That Sedin deal was some real wheeling and dealing. He turned this team around pretty quick when he took over. Both financially and on the ice.

We may never know exactly the whole story. I think George McPhee and a stingy Arthur Griffiths may have had more of a role in Bures disgraceful treatment at the beginning than Quinn, although first time GM Quinn may have gone along to get along. But there are too many instances of Quinn coming in to defend Pavel, including almost getting into a fist fight with Don Cherry over the rumours of a Bure blackmail of services in the '94 Cup run. And the fact that Bure had such respect for Pat after his career ended. 

http://www.puckwatch.com/2010/12/why-pavel-bure-left-vancouver.html

But Canucks have never had a truly great GM. They have all had flaws. Hence the lack of a Cup. Quinn also inexplicably dismantled the '94 team the next year, let Ronning just walk, traded away key pieces like Greg Adams. Early on he let Larionov go by stubbornly refusing to pay the Russian Federation what he thought was unfair $ to release him, forcing Igor to work it off in Switzerland for a year, then had a chip on his shoulder about it and ignored the opportunity to get him back. Who knows, Bure may have been convinced to stick around if Larionov were welcomed back. Not to mention we could have used Igor in '94.

Pat Quinn...this franchise was in serious decline in the mid 80's..The building was half empty,and management was clueless (that was about the time that Cam Neely was traded)....Quinn brought back respectability and winning to a floundering franchise...Besides drafting Linden,he made some great trades along the way...He easily gets my #1 vote.

I would put Burke and Gillis in a tie for 2nd place.....both had equal amounts of pros and cons.

2 hours ago, Kokanee king said:

who are the two &^@#ing $&!#s that picked GMJB?

Quinn, but burke gets points for the twins. 

Five years from now,there will most likely be another GM..but Benning will forever be the architect of this new core,whether you like it or not...Unlike Gillis,he didn't have the luxury of walking into a situation where you had 6 superstars just entering their prime.

Archived