The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Poll: Greatest Canucks GM of all time

smokes

Who do you think is the greatest GM of all time for the Canucks?  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

37 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

It wasn't really homework but "finding" scoresheets that didn't seemingly exist before (yeah right.....but like I said, it ain't cheating if you don't get caught!).  Burke was under Quinn though when that happened wasn't he?  Great one-two combination.

It's been a long time but if memory serves me correctly, it was their European scout who discovered Bure had played in an exhibition game in Switzerland which no one else knew about. As there was no internet and who looks for game sheets from an exhibition game in Switzerland? The exhibition game along with how many league games he played that season gave him just enough games played to be draft eligible.

No one concocted game sheets or cheated in any way.

Just now, nuckin_futz said:

It's been a long time but if memory serves me correctly, it was their European scout who discovered Bure had played in an exhibition game in Switzerland which no one else knew about. As there was no internet and who looks for game sheets from an exhibition game in Switzerland? The exhibition game along with how many league games he played that season gave him just enough games played to be draft eligible.

No one concocted game sheets or cheated in any way.

Fair enough I can buy that explanation.  Our European scouts often were able to find "hidden gems" by whatever means (eg., Edler).

20 hours ago, combover said:

1Quinn 2Burke 3Gillis. Top three.

keenan nonis benning . bottom three.  

Nonis got us Luongo which was the end of the goalie graveyard for a long time. One of his best deals, then GMMG shows up and turns it into a gong show by naming him captain and signing him to an awful deal which we are still dealing with right now.

19 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Five years from now,there will most likely be another GM..but Benning will forever be the architect of this new core,whether you like it or not...Unlike Gillis,he didn't have the luxury of walking into a situation where you had 6 superstars just entering their prime.

Hate to break it to you but the new core of prospects pales in comparison to a lot of teams.

1 hour ago, Hortankin said:

A coach that has never missed the playoffs in his entire career. 

Ya really bad call there by Benning

Key point is that was at the AHL level.   Why did it take so long for him to finally get a NHL gig?

"Ya really bad call there by Benning" IMHO.

2 hours ago, smokes said:

Hate to break it to you but the new core of prospects pales in comparison to a lot of teams.

Your comment has no relevance to my point,but anyway......Canucks don't have prospect pools as good as a lot of teams,because we haven't been perennial losers like a lot of teams (Canucks have made the playoffs 11 out of the last 15 years)...When you've been losing for a decade,of course you're going to amass more draft picks...Teams like COL and NYI have been picking at the top of the draft for years,chock full of top prospects..where are they now? 

2 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

of course you're going to amass more draft picks...

Canucks have only 5 picks in the upcoming draft I think.  Benning has a problem just keeping his default number of picks and/or downgrading picks - forget about acquiring more picks.

Again, a puzzling move considering his expertise is drafting.

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Canucks have only 5 picks in the upcoming draft I think.  Benning has a problem just keeping his default number of picks and/or downgrading picks - forget about acquiring more picks.

Again, a puzzling move considering his expertise is drafting.

Good thing it's apparently a crappy draft this year.

1 minute ago, CeeBee51 said:

Good thing it's apparently a crappy draft this year.

Well with typical Canuck luck - even if it were a good draft year, a team like the Pens would somehow win a lottery.  So much for karma - they didn't even bother trying to hide their tanking for Mario Lemieux - then still manage to luck out in Crosby (with legit elite players like Jagr & Malkin inbetween) years later.

Course look at the Sedin draft year...man, what an ugly draft year & Burkie manages to get not just one but TWO HHOFers (or will be HHOFers).  Some justice I guess...

13 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Well with typical Canuck luck - even if it were a good draft year, a team like the Pens would somehow win a lottery.  So much for karma - they didn't even bother trying to hide their tanking for Mario Lemieux - then still manage to luck out in Crosby (with legit elite players like Jagr & Malkin inbetween) years later.

Course look at the Sedin draft year...man, what an ugly draft year & Burkie manages to get not just one but TWO HHOFers (or will be HHOFers).  Some justice I guess...

Actually the top 3 or 4 in this years draft don't look too bad and it looks like we could be picking there.

I picked Gillis because he did more than just take us to the Cup Finals, he made the Canucks into a top contender for a period of 4ish years. I think bringing a below average team to consistent cup contenders takes more skill than just bringing a mediocre team to average/above average. The Canucks were to some degree a fluke team in their 93-94 seasons and Quinn suffered the same problem in not being able to maintain expectations for the team. 

Mike Gillis.

He knew how to win.

the hiring of John Totererella wasn't his fault, so yes, MIke Gillis is the best gm in the world.

Patt Quinn got too attached to building a boston Bruin type of stayle often throwing picks away in favor of phsycial players.

Brian Burke was only able to make a bad team, a pretty good team at its peak.

Dave Nonis inhereted that team, and made it a disaster.

back to back Presidents trophy. Mike Gillis is no scout, but he still brought us Ben Hutton, Horvat Guance, and Rodin, lol

Archived