The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GDT: Around the NHL Week of December (12-16) 2016

12 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Bob McKenzie has called out Florida Panthers beat writer Harvey Fialkov for calling into question Darren Dreger's reporting on the Panthers ongoing organizational turmoil.

"All due respect to Harvey (Fialkov) or not, Harvey’s full of crap. It’s as simple as that....

"As far as what Darren Dreger reported yesterday, it was entirely accurate. After we report things, sometimes things change. But we don’t make stuff up. Pierre Lebrun doesn’t. Darren Dreger doesn’t. I don’t. Elliotte Friedman at Hockey Night in Canada doesn’t. It’s as simple as that.

"So many people on Twitter who know nothing about what’s going on with the Florida Panthers are weighing in like they know something. And hey, in fairness, people from the Florida Panthers are saying nothing’s changed. And that’s fine, but you know what? They said nothing changed when Dale Tallon got promoted, and it did change. Let’s not kid anybody."

And Bob Mackenzie when asked RECENTLY about the Canuck's rebuild said: "what rebuild".  If he is to be respected for accuracy in his Florida reporting then I guess that resolves any questions HERE about if we are rebuilding.  We are not rebuilding, according the Bob Mackenzie.  I'm glad that got cleared up:)

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Auston Matthews scored in the first period against his childhood team, the Arizona Coyotes.

In total the Leafs managed 21 1st period shots.

I was at that game tonight at ACC. A few observations:

- Matthews looked good but didn't dominate, but he's very young and you can see he's going to be a star pretty soon.

- Marner is very, very good. The goal he scored was major league.

- Toronto should have buried the worst team in the league, but couldn't bury their chances.

- Shane Doan can still play. 

- With less than 10 seconds left in OT Radim Vrbata had the puck alone 10 feet out with no Leafs near him and he deked, then shot the puck behind the goalie and out the other side. He then missed in the shootout. 

- I honestly don't know what the hype is about Mike Babcock. I realize he's playing a ton of young guys, but I thought the game plan was mostly unimaginative. They controlled the puck a lot in the first period, but spent most of their time passing around the perimeter. It looked a lot like the Canucks power play.

- I like Rogers Arena better than ACC. But after the game we were out of the building, onto the subway, and back at our hotel in less time than it takes the Canada line to make it from Waterfront to the Riverrock.

- A foot long hotdog costs $13.00 and a 20 ounce beer is $13.50. A bottle of water is $5.50 and a medium sized Coke is $5.75.

- The building was nowhere near full. I bought tickets two days in advance and had pretty much my pick of seats. I always thought that Leafs tickets were impossible to find. Maybe because Arizona.

- Arizona did not look like a last place team. Oliver Ekman-Larsson is very, very good.

- For those of you to whom music is important, the music was pretty bad. Cotton eyed Joe, Sweet Caroline, Living on a Prayer. I used to go to a lot of WHL games and the music was almost identical, and that was ten years ago.

Final interesting thought: there are Stanley Cup banners in the rafters, starting in 1912, the up through the forties, then 1965, 1966 and 1967. Then....nothing. From this I can only conclude that the world must have ended sometime in early 1968.

Frank Corrado now knows why Mike Commodore has such disdain for Mike Babcock.

"At the end of the day, the coach is the one who makes the lineup and if the coach doesn’t like you, then you’re not going to play. And that’s where I’m at right now."

“It’s frustrating now,” Corrado said. “When you don’t get to play for a month and a half, and you’ve played in one game all year, it takes its toll on you mentally.

"Yeah, you’re in the NHL. It’s not that the novelty has worn off; it’s just that it’s time to play. It’s time to have a career. I feel like the more I’m not playing, that’s food off my table. That’s kind of the way I see it right now.”

Columbus takes a 4-1 lead into the 3rd period and shuts Calgary down, allowing no goals in the 3rd and only 23 shots the entire game.

Some fun Columbus stats:

-They have SIX players with 20 points or more. Cam Atkinson leads them with 29 points. One of them is phenom rookie defenceman Zach Werenski.

-They have 3 players with 10+ goals on the season (Sam Gagner has 13 goals??!?)

-Sergei Bobrovsky leads the league in wins,and is tied with Carey Price for 2nd in the NHL for save percentage among goalies with 20+ starts.

-They are tied with the NY Rangers with a +36 goal differential and have the fewest goals allowed in the NHL

-A win over Vancouver Sunday would give head coach John Tortorella his 500th career win. How's that for a story line?

Archived