The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tryamkin a 265 pound cure for the powerplay?

iceman64

26 minutes ago, xereau said:

Biggest difference they could possibly make is to take the Sedins off of the 1st unit.

Its not the power pass.

I think the league has them figured out............

Watch teams PKing us.  They never chase, never break the box.  They wait for the pass from the side board to the point or Daniel.  And that's aboot it.

This is the time to get the new guys into new roles.  PP#1 being one of them.

THIS!!!!!!!!!

31 minutes ago, brownky said:

If you were playing 'high level' hockey you wouldn't be on a rig in 'berta. We had a guy in beer league who said crap like "I'm used to playing higher level hockey than this". His nickname (derogatorily) became "High Level".

Post in hand:

Note, traffic in front. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXH5GER3ivs

I feel like Eriksson is that guy if they ever decided to stack the top unit (Twins - Eriksson, Sutter and Stecher on the blue-line).  Look where Loui is in all these goals (between the hash marks and the guy in front of the net to tip and get rebounds).  He's been getting better and should only continue to thrive in the role of net-front presence on the PP.  

Personally, I would prefer a player like Erikkson to be the net front presence but unless they drastically change the power play I don't think it is really going to matter who is there. Our power play runs through Henrik on the right side board and teams have learned that Henrik will not shoot from there and will not attempt to go to the net from there with a give and go. As a result, teams don't bother with Henrik and simply cover the 4 other players on the ice. We either need to run our power play through the point (Stecher?) or we need Henrik to move more around the ice.

There needs to be more movement from everyone on the PP and, more importantly, more puck movement involving all of the players on the ice.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

You don' go in front of the net because you can't spread out the box? What a bunch of nonsense. You go to the net to draw defenders to the net and create traffic. Hockey 101 bud. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Nice try at condescension, but unfortunately your history of posting show you have very little insight or personal experience with hockey. Maybe stick to the off-topic forum? ;)

Sorry I was out of line.

2 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Again. It becomes more and more obvious that you have never played a high level of hockey. Which is fine, it doesn't make you any less of a fan but it does make you oblivious to certain things like this for example. Since about pee-wee you are instructed, taught or forced to go to the net at the forward position. When you get a little older they start to teach structure and different ways to create things. 

We don't get in front of the net because we can't spread open the box in front of the net. I'm going to give you some homework. Think of some different ways you can create lanes and room in front of the net. I'll give you a hint. It's not skating through the other team. Also, our net presence drastically improves when Stecher is on the ice. Weird eh? Think about  it and get back to me. I have a golden star with your name in it. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

High level as &^@#!

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

How about we put anyone in front of the net for a change?

As it stands right now nobody is going to the net to create a screen because the team never shoots it anyways.

Wow great idea for him tbh. With that size it would be so hard for other defenders to move him from there. As Canuck fans we know this first hand from Byfuglien, it's worth a shot imo.

3 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Being Listed at 265 pounds (up or down probably by a few) wouldn't it be worth a try to put Tryamkin as winger and then straight to the front of the net in offensive zone starts? since how many guys in this league are big enough to move him and then sedins sedinery for one timer screen shots from each other or point shots because how can a goalie stop something he can't see. Either him or Gud perhaps?  Gud's a big boy... 

Chicago pulled that against us with Buff and Lou it worked, Buff just stood there and no one on the team was big enough to move him... 

Thoughts?  I mean picture trying to move someone that big out of the crease area who plays for screen without drawing another penalty resulting in a 5 on 3...

I'd love to see Tryamkin deployed as a net front presence on the PP...I think it would work because the Sedins are still elite puck possession players on the PP (5 on 5, less so now).  

But as many have said already, there needs to shots generated, and we know the Sedins aren't and have never really been shooters...this means the PP needs a trigger man on the point and in the space between the hash marks.  All this is doable with the personnel on the Canucks...but not sure what is holding Jarvis back from implementing this.  I remember Jarvis speaking boldly that the thing he wants most on his PP schemes are shots...I'm guessing he's frustrated as much as anyone with the lack of shots being generated (especially by the first unit).  

IMO, Tryamkin in front of the net should force the four man box to collapse creating more ice and space for the Sedins down low and opening up the point man for good looks at the net.

38 minutes ago, riffraff said:

High level as &^@#!

He is a very good player infront of the net. However, the Redwings have some of the most creativity ever seen from the point which was what I was trying to say in response to @DeNiro. If you have a D to D system where the blue line stays fully manned at all times. The defenders in their own zone just box out the area between the hashmarks in front of the net. It's especially obvious on a power play. Because they know 4 out of 6 of our Dmen are either not going to go deeper into the zone with the puck or unable to hit the net with an effective point shot. It's very easy to just sit in that box. It explains why we only get 1 shot per entry. It explains the lack of finish from experienced scorers like LE because he is under constant pressure. It explains why we get so many shots blocked.

You cannot blame this on WD because when he has a D-man with the skill set to effectively move around the O zone he uses them. STECHER. Hell its probably why he played Larsen over the Bulldog. We don't have the movement and creativity on the blue line to spread out the defenders and we also don't have a booming slapper that the defenders needs to leave the box to prevent or put under pressure. When Stecher is Playing his game  he completely changes our offence. 

33 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

He is a very good player infront of the net. However, the Redwings have some of the most creativity ever seen from the point which was what I was trying to say in response to @DeNiro. If you have a D to D system where the blue line stays fully manned at all times. The defenders in their own zone just box out the area between the hashmarks in front of the net. It's especially obvious on a power play. Because they know 4 out of 6 of our Dmen are either not going to go deeper into the zone with the puck or unable to hit the net with an effective point shot. It's very easy to just sit in that box. It explains why we only get 1 shot per entry. It explains the lack of finish from experienced scorers like LE because he is under constant pressure. It explains why we get so many shots blocked.

You cannot blame this on WD because when he has a D-man with the skill set to effectively move around the O zone he uses them. STECHER. Hell its probably why he played Larsen over the Bulldog. We don't have the movement and creativity on the blue line to spread out the defenders and we also don't have a booming slapper that the defenders needs to leave the box to prevent or put under pressure. When Stecher is Playing his game  he completely changes our offence. 

Youre right.

i was more or less being a dick.

there is no fear of our pp for the noted reasons.

why go high on the points if there is no shot?

however, the cycle or whatever we do can still generate chances in front if we carry to the net. The cycle is capable of producing that option.  But there is no net presence.  Constantly trying to sauce a cross crease pass or a back door play.  And lately the back door is behind closed doors because no dman can shoot aside from stecher.  And when there is only one guy and he is not Ovie, well......

anyway. All obvious stuff.  

Stecher is a beaut.

It would be good to see someone in front of the net, don't really care who. But HighLevel makes a good point about our D needing to be an actual offensive threat, to open up those seams.

At least Stecher get his shots through. Our PP is a really depressing topic for me. Don't think I've seen one PP where the keeper had to move laterally more than once... Make him move. The Twins half board set is not getting the keeper moving across the crease.

17 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Youre right.

i was more or less being a dick.

there is no fear of our pp for the noted reasons.

why go high on the points if there is no shot?

however, the cycle or whatever we do can still generate chances in front if we carry to the net. The cycle is capable of producing that option.  But there is no net presence.  Constantly trying to sauce a cross crease pass or a back door play.  And lately the back door is behind closed doors because no dman can shoot aside from stecher.  And when there is only one guy and he is not Ovie, well......

anyway. All obvious stuff.  

Stecher is a beaut.

Is it a coincidence that the biggest years of production from the sedins are closely correlated to an option at the point for their cycle? Even if we managed to get a player in front of the net, does he have the hands to make a play from there? And do we have a shot that he can screen or deflect? 

Our offensive problems have nothing to do with our system and everything to do with our personal. That's why I find it so amazing to hear someone say "why don't we go to the net" when that is basically the name of the game in hockey. It is your #1 concern when playing. Every intermission interview has "getting in front of the net" somewhere in it. It's like asking why the Cleveland Browns don't go to the end zone. Trust me guys, everyone wants to get in front of the net.  

Archived