The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tryamkin a 265 pound cure for the powerplay?

iceman64

3 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Is it a coincidence that the biggest years of production from the sedins are closely correlated to an option at the point for their cycle? Even if we managed to get a player in front of the net, does he have the hands to make a play from there? And do we have a shot that he can screen or deflect? 

Our offensive problems have nothing to do with our system and everything to do with our personnel. That's why I find it so amazing to hear someone say "why don't we go to the net" when that is basically the name of the game in hockey. It is your #1 concern when playing. Every intermission interview has "getting in front of the net" somewhere in it. It's like asking why the Cleveland Browns don't go to the end zone. Trust me guys, everyone wants to get in front of the net.  

If the guys who get the most power play time (ie. Sedins) are instructed to get in front of the net, or take the puck to the net and they don't then the problem is two fold. The first like you said is the personnel who are too big of pussies to take it to the dirty areas and secondly they've tuned out the coach. 

Either way we are being coached and playing like a bunch of wimps. 

4 hours ago, brownky said:

If you were playing 'high level' hockey you wouldn't be on a rig in 'berta. We had a guy in beer league who said crap like "I'm used to playing higher level hockey than this". His nickname (derogatorily) became "High Level".

Post in hand:

Note, traffic in front. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXH5GER3ivs

Note, traffic in the low slot tying up the defender and "opening the lanes" on both goals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdR-lNMTIVw

Lets get away from Ovi (Washington DOES have a killer powerplay, but lets go to another one)

Niskanen in Pittsburgh (also a good powerplay)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE3jSMJTG2g

^ Traffic in front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROlB6VSjKHQ

Another one. Kunitz with the little pick opening the space from... you guessed it, in front of the goalie.

Oh, here's a new spot to stand. In front of the goalie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcyTJRHAqHM

I dunno High Level, seems to have a decent effect even when the guy never touches the puck whatsoever. I'm not even cherrypicking this, I'm literally typing X player PP goal into Youtube.

Tou completely misunderstood what I said but watching these videos reinforced my beliefs. No $&@t! You need to get in front of the net. But look at how the d-men draw the box further up the Ozone allowing a forwards to seek in front of the net through the back door. With a manned at all costs blue line the Box does not need to move forward to challenge the point. That is what I'm trying to say. I don't care how big you are you aren't going to get infrint of the not with 4 forwards collapsing in front of the goalie. This is why I give little credibility to someone saying "let's get in front of the net" you need to open it up down there. 

If they wanted to try this, it would have to be after we got some D back.  He is already being pushed with the high number of minutes is getting right now.... adding more Is asking for trouble, especially since it likely wouldn't mean pulling another D off the PP who could then take more 5 on 5 minutes.

Nothing wrong with trying it after Tanev gets back though.  Have Burrows teach him the techniques and if he can master it, that is a serious skill set to have going forward.

Byfuglien had really good hands though, he has great hand eye and he's 260+lb monster prolly stronger then Tryamkin. He is a creative offensive player as well which is why he killed us. Maybe it might work though, give Tryamkin a different dimension rather then just a stay at home D. I remember it worked putting Bieksa fwd.

5 minutes ago, Nikita Tryamkin said:

Byfuglien had really good hands though, he has great hand eye and he's 260+lb monster prolly stronger then Tryamkin. He is a creative offensive player as well which is why he killed us. Maybe it might work though, give Tryamkin a different dimension rather then just a stay at home D. I remember it worked putting Bieksa fwd.

Kinda wonder how many of his goals would have been overturned had they had coaches challenges back then. 

3 hours ago, LaBamba said:

I dont think @StealthNuck took my application to be a moderator seriously in any way shape or form. It probably made his skin crawl.  

I think you're too hard on yourself LB, and a lot better candidate than you give yourself credit for.

You seem to share some frustrations with the team, with lots of the fanbase, and you don't troll about it - you simply state your perspective, sometimes in some pretty damn entertaining terms.

And you seem pretty respectful of the board rules.

I don't see what sets you so far apart.

16 hours ago, ItsMillerTime said:

They tried this last year.  Didn't work that well though.

Yah but Tryamkin wasn't in the shape he's in now or had the experience. When Nik has jumped up a couple of times this year he looked like he could be a problem for other teams in front of the net. 

This is too creative an idea for 'ol Wilbrod though.

15 hours ago, DeNiro said:

You don' go in front of the net because you can't spread out the box? What a bunch of nonsense. You go to the net to draw defenders to the net and create traffic. Hockey 101 bud. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Nice try at condescension, but unfortunately your history of posting show you have very little insight or personal experience with hockey. Maybe stick to the off-topic forum? ;)

No kidding, Lab is near the bottom of posters on this board that I suspect has any real life hockey experience at all.

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

There is no known cure at this point.

Some say we don't have the personnel, some say they're in the wrong places. More point shots. No point players. More net presence. Whatever the theory is, the fact is WDs doing the same thing over and over with no results. It doesn't matter what the theory is, the results are undeniable. 

Stecher is really good at sneaking pucks through, and Tryamkin is huge and would be impossible to move. Lets see what happens for 25 seconds of that on the 2nd PP. Its the only thing Wilbrod hasn't tried yet. 

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

Some say we don't have the personnel, some say they're in the wrong places. More point shots. No point players. More net presence. Whatever the theory is, the fact is WDs doing the same thing over and over with no results. It doesn't matter what the theory is, the results are undeniable. 

Stecher is really good at sneaking pucks through, and Tryamkin is huge and would be impossible to move. Lets see what happens for 25 seconds of that on the 2nd PP. 

Actually its the Sedins that are doing the same thing over and over. Willie is just along for the ride.

5 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Stecher is really good at sneaking pucks through, and Tryamkin is huge and would be impossible to move. Lets see what happens for 25 seconds of that on the 2nd PP. Its the only thing Wilbrod hasn't tried yet. 

Your post is begging for a Photoshop combination of Willie and Einstein.

Archived