The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tryamkin a 265 pound cure for the powerplay?

iceman64

11 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Tou completely misunderstood what I said but watching these videos reinforced my beliefs. No $&@t! You need to get in front of the net. But look at how the d-men draw the box further up the Ozone allowing a forwards to seek in front of the net through the back door. With a manned at all costs blue line the Box does not need to move forward to challenge the point. That is what I'm trying to say. I don't care how big you are you aren't going to get infrint of the not with 4 forwards collapsing in front of the goalie. This is why I give little credibility to someone saying "let's get in front of the net" you need to open it up down there. 

Here's the thing, if you're talking about the beer leagues, chances are a player's shot isn't as accurate as it's going to be in the NHL. You're comparing a league where players are less likely to be able to get shots through traffic with a league that can actually use traffic, deflect shots more efficiently, etc. You're comparing apples with oranges.

It's funny and ironic how you mention "credibility" in your post. Just saying. lol

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Your post is begging for a Photoshop combination of Willie and Einstein.

So you're saying it should be E=HS^3 or T=HS^3?

edit:  E=Eriksson  H= Hutton T= Tryamkin S= Sedins/Stecher for those that have not had their coffee yet. :)

13 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

T=mg2

M = more

g = goals

T = Tryamkin?

10 minutes ago, CeeBee51 said:

So you're saying it should be E=HS^3 or T=HS^3?

edit:  E=Eriksson  H= Hutton T= Tryamkin S= Sedins/Stecher for those that have not had their coffee yet. :)

Reeaaaaaalllll gooooooooooooood!

realgud.jpg

einstein.jpg

Having a really big dude in front does more than just screen the goalie, he also creates a pick when there are a couple of passes behind the net leaving an open lane for shooting. Or he creates space behind the net for a player to set up because the dman can't get around the dman to the puck handler.

Lurch/Groot, with his wing span would be a very good candidate. Willie would only try this for a game or two and then revert if it didn't work.

I'd also like to see the team start to develop Big T as a PP guy instead of thinking he has to "earn" his spurs first.

Plainly, it is easy to see the restraints put on SOME of the rookie players out there and right now they have a harness on him, defence only, don't rush the puck and dzone play.

Our PP can't get a shot on net but this is WD's big concern for tonight :lol: Yes lets focus on that 4th line. Oh well, even with a lower quality draft year I still want a high pick. 

Gaunce will not play tonight. "Nothing against him, he's doing what's asked of him. Want a different look tonight on the fourth line." - WD

8 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Our PP can't get a shot on net but this is WD's big concern for tonight :lol: Yes lets focus on that 4th line. Oh well, even with a lower quality draft year I still want a high pick. 

Gaunce will not play tonight. "Nothing against him, he's doing what's asked of him. Want a different look tonight on the fourth line." - WD

Priorities!

I'd like to see it but I think the thought of him in front of the net on the PP may sound better than what it would be on the ice. It would depend on how well we could control the puck.

With Tryamkin down so low, he'd be canceled out of the defensive play on a short-handed rush the other way. No way he's getting back to play any role defensively. He doesn't have the speed.

He'd become a defacto forward caught in the neutral zone on the way back. This could be a huge liability. 

I like the thought of him in front of the net on the PP, it's the other way I'm worried about. 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I'd like to see it but I think the thought of him in front of the net on the PP may sound better than what it would be on the ice. It would depend on how well we could control the puck.

With Tryamkin down so low, he'd be canceled out of the defensive play on a short-handed rush the other way. No way he's getting back to play any role defensively. He doesn't have the speed.

He'd become a defacto forward caught in the neutral zone on the way back. This could be a huge liability. 

I like the thought of him in front of the net on the PP, it's the other way I'm worried about. 

Wait, you don't think the Sedins can use their speed to cover for him? :lol:

3 minutes ago, Cromeslab said:

They need to do something different on the PP.Right now it's broken and needs to be fixed.

Well Megna is getting a shot on the 2nd unit.  With Eriksson back on that 2nd unit too - my guess is that Burrows comes off.

seems to me we try and play perimeter during the power play and go for the perfect pass at the end but it's not passed fast enough to catch them out of position and the point men need to move closer in because long passes for point shots or high slot shots are taking too long and goalies have time to square up and/or a block by a defender and it doesn't get through

It just isn't working so if you want to play that game it needs BIG screen or deflection but with no screen, just no results... period...  it's getting annoying to watch to say the least BUT at least a big bodied screen would help if that's the continued game plan for PP

3 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

seems to me we try and play perimeter during the power play and go for the perfect pass at the end but it's not passed fast enough to catch them out of position and the point men need to move closer in because long passes for point shots or high slot shots are taking too long and goalies have time to square up and/or a block by a defender and it doesn't get through

It just isn't working so if you want to play that game it needs BIG screen or deflection but with no screen, just no results... period...  it's getting annoying to watch to say the least BUT at least a big bodied screen would help if that's the continued game plan for PP

I think the idea is that the Canucks powerplay essentially bores the other team to the point where they start nodding off, and then WHAM! a surprise shot....right into the goalie's crest, or BOOM! a pass from Henrik to Daniel.

I have been wondering for a while why the Sedins do not use their passing to control the rhythm of the PP more. The are such strong passers, they could easily throw some quick passes around before going back to their standing still and observing for a while, then accelerate it again. They are intelligent players and some rhythm changes, e.g. by quick passing, would force the D to at least move their legs a little and open some lanes somehow. I also noticed that Hank had been shooting more a few games back, but he seems to have forgotten about it...

Archived