The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Favorite memories of the Pacific Coliseum

Orka

Was driving down Hastings this weekend and decided to go walk around the coliseum to take a few pictures and see how it's doing these days. Which of course had me thinking of all of the Canucks history that took place there. Just wondering what are everyones fondest memories at the Coliseum? I'm sure everyone will mention the 94 run, but what sticks out to you the most when you think of the rink on Renfrew?

Optimized-IMG_7057.jpgOptimized-IMG_7058.jpgOptimized-IMG_7061.jpgOptimized-IMG_7067.jpgOptimized-IMG_7070.jpg

So many good memories there...there was lots of standing room for games and tickets were affordable ..but one incident stands out...back in the late 70s my 2 buddies and I went to many games and most of the time we smuggled in a mickey of rum and mixed our drinks in the nosebleed section..things were much more lax then and I was a lot younger....one time we went to a game against the North Stars and were making our way up to our seats and my buddies bottle fell out of his pant leg and smashed on the concrete...needless to say there was rum running down the steps .... it was a little embarrassing to say the least...we got to our seats and he said he was going to go out and get another from the liquor store on Hastings and Renfrew.....so he left ..by the time he got back it was 4-0 North Stars in the first period.

A few memories that come to mind

1) The birth Roger Neilson's Towel. Yes it was in Chicago where it originated but the first game back home, that was something special to be a part of with so many white towels being swung. :towel::towel::towel:

2) 1982 Cup run. I remember mostly we were a bunch of muckers  and grinders compared to the mighty Islanders. It was mostly about the excitement that surrounded me than the actual games. 

3) Pavel Bure's first game. It was against the Jets, and I tell you I was off my seat alot as the Russian Rocket was the most exciting player to put on a Canucks jersey.

4) 1994 Cup run. This was a magical run which captured the imagination from not only the city but the nation as well. It was just sad that the Canucks didn't have the gas to finish the race.

I was very young at the time, but I remember there was a press area downstairs that fans were allowed to go down to after the game to see the Canucks crossing between the ice to their dressing rooms. It must have been a uncommonly known thing, because I've only ever seen about a dozen fans in this area. Players would hardly ever stop to sign an autograph, but one player did. He was Garry Valk. It really humanized athletes to me. As a youngster, you see these larger than life athletes on tv, so when one of them stops to talk to you, it really helped me grow up with that respect for these players as people my whole life.

My very first ever live hockey game was at PC. It was Vancouver vs Edmonton (around '95 I think). Vancouver won 6-3. Russ Courtnall had two goals, one of which was short-handed (I think he may have just been traded to Vancouver). Scott Walker had two fights. But what I remember most is that every time Bure had the puck, you could see the crowd literally get out of their seat with anticipation. It was absolutely electric. 

44 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

My favorite memory is seeing Bure score this type of goal 12 rows up in the corner of our end. He did it against Dallas identical to this one. Had the perfect view. Still clear and vivid in my mind.

Hands down my fav memory when I think of the Coleseum. And the 94 run of course. 

This goal was in GM Place not the Coliseum.

Archived