The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Favorite memories of the Pacific Coliseum

Orka

48 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

A few memories that come to mind

1) 1982 Cup run. I remember mostly we were a bunch of muckers  and grinders compared to the mighty Islanders. It was mostly about the excitement that surrounded me than the actual games. 

2) Pavel Bure's first game. It was against the Jets, and I tell you I was off my seat alot as the Russian Rocket was the most exciting player to put on a Canucks jersey.

3) 1994 Cup run. This was a magical run which captured the imagination from not only the city but the nation as well. It was just sad that the Canucks didn't have the gas to finish the race.

I was behind the Canucks net when this happened:

He didn't score but man I'll never forget the energy and roar of the crowd.

My first live NHL game, vs the Flames. Though we lost in overtime, it's a very special memory

The way the building resonated, it was just so loud, so much excitment and I, a gleeful snot nosed little brat lost his voice and not even a frosted malt with the wooden spoon could save it.

Also, the Beastie Boys played there in 2003 or 04, Talib Kweli opened. Killer show. The wife and I then attempted to drink Vancouver out of booze and came up short, at the Denny's by the Chateau at 5 am.

Many great memories of the old coliseum. 

1-Second ever NHL game I attended was Bure's first game against the jets. Pavel never lit the lamp but sure had the building buzzing with 3 or 4 great rushes through the Jets D. 

2-Game 1 against the Kings in 93. Row one in corner. First and last time I got to see the Great one live. Nucks won the first game but lost the series. gretz and the Kings made it all the way to the finals just to get stopped by the red hot habs. 

3-first ever concert with White Zombie headlining in 1996. Watched a guy get smoked by a car on Hastings and met him in the mosh pit an hour later. 

4- Heckling Pierre McGuire for a whole intermission segment during the 2006 world juniors and having him yell back me while James Duthie was laughing his face off.

There are more good memories but these four stuck with me and will forever 

I've been to a few Canucks games, but only 1 in Vancouver. It was at the PC the year was 1982 and I was 6 years old. It was the Canucks vs Flames we were pretty close to the glass. The Canucks won 5-4 and Harold Snepsts scored 2 goals. I never thought that was going to be the only home game I was ever going to see. I still have the program from that game stashed away. 

Too many.... and Canucks moved to "GM Place" in my infancy.

Worked for PNE tech services during the olympics and onwards while I went to BCIT. There is many of secrets on those grounds and plenty spooky history. 

But if I had to pick. As humorous as it is. The cheer when Scott Virtue and Tessa Moir locked up the gold in 2010. It was bone chilling.

Pavel Bure days hands down. The kid just got you off your arse since the 1st time he touched the puck in his 1st game. (we were all there. lol. If u had season tickets like myself I believe u.)

The fastest player with the puck & the best goal scorer in the NHL for years. Not afraid of the physical part either. The Canucks never had a player like Pavel Bure prior to him or since...:sadno:

The kid just electrified the crowd no matter what building he played in...:towel: 

Could we ever use him these days...

Wow lots of memories. I worked there for the Canucks for 10 years in the 80's and early 90's selling programs and souvenirs while I was in high school so I pretty much watched every home game live during the 80's. My best memory was the 1982 finals. Those 2 home games were electric. I sold those towels that Roger Neilson made famous and even kept one for each game. Tiger Williams, Stan Smyl and Richard Brodeur were my favourites for that team. 

The best games were when Montreal, Boston and Toronto came to town. There were more Hab fans than Canuck fans. And of course my favourite games were when Edmonton came to town. Gretzky was my favorite player so I got to see him live many many times and watch the Oilers destroy the Canucks many times. 

I remember all the empty seats as well. It was really bad. 7,000 fans at some games. The good news for me was I was able to sit in the reds for free and watch the games in the best seats. 

When Pat Quinn came everything changed.  Trevor Linden came, and then Pavel Bure. And then the rink was packed again. I went to the 1994 playoff games as well.  Game 6 of the finals was probabaly the best game of all time at the Coliseum. 

I went to a bunch of concerts there as well. Bruce Springsteen, Bonjovi and Def Leppard were my favourites. 

Funny story about when I worked there and sold programs. We used to give away lucky numbered programs each game.  We knew which ones were the lucky ones so we could basically give them to anyone we wanted. I always gave mine to a hot babe who caught my eye, I was a teenager so they were usually in their 20's. I worked with some relatives (we are all Italian), and so my relatives used to give away their lucky programs to their friends and other relatives. There used to be a few games where one lucky program was actually a trip to Vegas or other places. They used to call out the program number and when the person went to pick up the prize it was always an Italian!!  The Canucks person in charge of us was getting suspicious as every person winning these trips had an Italian name, lol!!  It was pretty funny but eventually our boss told us not to give any of these lucky programs to our Italian friends ever again or we'd get fired!!  

Here's a pic of the towel for game three of the 1982 Stanley Cup final that I kept...

IMG_0920 (1).JPG

Tons of memories. Seeing Bobby Orr play in his prime. Being at Game 6 against the Rangers in 1994 (the best $150 I ever spent). Getting my first ever autograph as a little kid (it was Pat Quinn). Lots of great Giants games into their 15 seasons there, including the Memorial Cup Final win against Medicine Hat in 2007  (the winning goal by Michal Repik with 5 minutes left just about blew the roof off). As someone else mentioned, the smell. It smelled and sounded like a hockey rink. I'll always have a great fondness for the Coliseum; in a sense I kinda grew up there to a large degree. It seemed so big when I was a kid, to go back many times during the Giants years, it seemed much smaller. The place was as comfortable as a favourite pair of jeans. 

4 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

A few memories that come to mind

1) 1982 Cup run. I remember mostly we were a bunch of muckers  and grinders compared to the mighty Islanders. It was mostly about the excitement that surrounded me than the actual games. 

2) Pavel Bure's first game. It was against the Jets, and I tell you I was off my seat alot as the Russian Rocket was the most exciting player to put on a Canucks jersey.

3) 1994 Cup run. This was a magical run which captured the imagination from not only the city but the nation as well. It was just sad that the Canucks didn't have the gas to finish the race.

They didn't lose, they just ran out of time.

I'd never been to the coliseum myself, I think they moved out when I was 13 or 14, but I remember watching some great games on TV that happened there. The 11-0 game against Calgary in '92 was epic. And of course game 5 against Toronto in '94, "Greg Adams!" Greg Adams!"

I grew up a few minutes away from there, went to a bunch of games but only one I remember was against Edmonton and Gretzky wasn't on the team by then. 

In 1993 or 1994 I went to my first concert there, Green Day when Dookie came out. And the year after, 1994 or 1995, I went to Coolio there when Gangsta's Paradise was hot. 

Memories. 

Was Bure's first game even televised? Seems to be an awful lot of people there considering at that time there was was 12,000 people in the stands? 

First NHL game I ever went to, Vancouver vs. Chicago mid 70's (1975-6?). The players seemed so fast. Lots of smoke, and beer in the hallways. 

Vancouver won, and the crowd was so happy (We lost a lot in those days). 

Archived